Anybody use their Denon 3803 with a seperate amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tomas_S, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Tomas_S

Tomas_S Agent

Hi everybody, I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with using an external amp with the Denon 3803.

I'm running a whole DefTech setup (BP2002TL,CLR2002,SuperCube I,BPX's all around). These bipolars are some hungry beasts and I'd like to feed them a bit more. Any suggestions on a great 7 channel amp (250-300w)??

Thanks!
    Tomas

2. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

Hi Tomas,
    Yeah, I just got into HT and have my Denon 3803 connected to an external tube amplifier to drive my Fronts only. I'm running B&W 801's as my fronts and an HTM-2 as a Centre.
    Though I'm not very experienced in HT (i.e. I haven't heard a whole lot of systems and set ups), I can tell you I'm quite please with mine.
    Well, there you go.
    Jason

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Thomas,I have a 3803 and use a Parasound 1205a 5ch @140(actually about 157)watts per ch.I use my amp with very eff. Klipsch rf7's.I did however audition the bp 2000tl in my home on this same set up and it sounded very good with massive spl.There are lots of great amps at good prices,for me 5ch was all I need for sacd,dvd-a(zone two is patio).You could buy a 2ch and 5 ch for 7.1,or any of several combinations,2ch,3ch,4ch,5ch,6ch so on.The answer really is the 3803 is a great pre/pro and has ample power for my Klipsch.But the external amplification takes it up to insane levels with authority and lower volumes are still very dynamic.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I've used Denon receivers as pre/pros for several years. I'm currently running a 3803 into a 5 channel Carver THX amp.

To me, it's win win... The 3803 has great features, user friendliness and processing. The THX amp drives my setup with ease. I've been very pleased with current setup. [​IMG]