What's new

Anybody use a D-Link DI-614+ with Xbox Live? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
Received my XBL beta kit tonight, and am having no luck getting connected. My xbox won't even recognize a connection to the router, even though I have confirmed that the link is good (using a laptop). I've been through all the port-forwarding setup (even though I'm not even to that point, figured I'd just make sure), but no luck. The XBL support people don't have a clue - the router is not on any of their lists. I don't get why any router wouldn't work - it should just be a simple ethernet connection, no different than any other...

Anyone had any success with this router?

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Please do not tell me that. I too have this router, and am waiting on my XBLive kit to come (hopefully) tomorrow. I have been worried that my router would give me problems, and know so little about configuring it. Now you tell me that it might not work with my XBOX! Please someone help us!

Considering that you apparently know more than I, this is probably a silly question, but did you update the firmware? I am sure you did. My router wouldn't even work with my DSL until I updated the firmware.

Also, I believe I have my firewall set to disabled... is yours disabled?

Anyway, I hope someone helps resolve this by tomorrow. I can't imagine that our router won't work. I mean, an XBOX is just a PC in a black box afterall?!?!

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Also, this is sort of weird, last night I plugged my XBOX into the network, just to see what would happen on NFL 2K3 when I select GO LIVE or whatever the option is, even though I don't have XBOXLive kit yet.

It went through, it apparently recognized my connection, because it didn't give me the typical "Check your ethernet connection" message I'd get before I plugged it in. Then, I tried it again later, and it went back to giving me that message - which scared me. Didn't know if it was my Xbox or my router that was not working properly, or how to get back to when it apparently was working properly... but maybe a clue is in there somewhere???? Any insights.

Sadly, until I get the kit, I can't really troubleshoot... not that I anticipate having better luck than you.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Well, someone just told me that there is a link light on the ethernet jack that is supposed to light up when it has a valid link. Keith, do you see the link light?
I think it's possible that my Xbox has a bad ethernet port. A lightning strike recently took out a bunch of stuff in my house, including my old router. I'm wondering if the current just passed right on down the ethernet cable and into the Xbox, frying the port... :frowning:

Jason Price

Second Unit
Well, it was a bad ethernet jack on the Xbox. Picked up a new one today, and got connected right up. Haven't had a chance to play anything yet (working on that now), but connectivity to the XBL service worked just fine...

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got my kit and am having issues now - can't get it to work. Would it be possible for you to save out your configuration, and send it to me as an attachment:
[email protected]
I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Keith,

What problems are you having? I don't have access to my router right now for the config, but I could probably help you out, if you detail the problem.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the offering of help. My problem has been fixed. It was a faulty cable. :) I am very very happy to have resolved this. My router with its default settings are all that I needed. Thanks.

AndyN

Agent
Jason,

Did the dlink work for you? It's on the list on non-compatible routers on the xbox website. It also happens to be my router. How'd you do it? Just asking before I buy xbox live.

Andy

Jason Price

Second Unit
Andy,

Yes, the dlink is working fine for me - not sure why it's on the "doesn't work" list. I'm using the latest firmware (2.03g), and haven't really had any issues. From Keith's posts, it sounds like he got his working, too.

Jason

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I was going to buy that router but decided against it when I saw it on the "will not work" list on the XBox Live site. I could've saved about $40 getting the D-Link components instead of Linksys. My Linksys is working great though so I'm happy.

AndyN

Agent
Thanks Jason. So it's basically plug and play? I'm headed to costco to see if I can pick it up for $42. THanks.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
As stated earlier in this thread, Microsoft has deemed the 614 as a router that doesn't work with XBox live. I have no idea as to how they make that sort of recommendation. Here is the site:
Compatible router list

Jason Price

Second Unit
Andy,

In my case it was, but it sounds like YMMV. I did update to the latest firmware when I was troubleshooting initially (when I mistakenly thought it was a problem with the router rather than the Xbox) - not sure if that played a role or not. If you have any problems, you might try that.

Also, as an FYI, I only have the demo disk and NFL2k3. Now, I would assume all XBL games would pass network traffic the same way (and therefore, if one game works, they all should), but I can't say that with 100% certainty. Hope it works out for you.

Jason

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Dlink just gave me the fix for the 614+ and 604. It fixes all of my problems and I believe Microsoft will take them off their "not working" list shortly. If you need this update, contact Dlink technical support and ask for the latest Beta firmware to make your router work with XBlive. If you have trouble I can get it to you myself. I am soooo happy!!!

Jason Price

Second Unit
Keith,

What issues were you having with XBL before this firmware update? And what's the firmware version?

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Read this thread to see the issues I was having. Several other people with DLINK routers were having the same issues.

Jason Price

Second Unit
So, your problem wasn't related to faulty cables?

What's the firmware revision of the firmware they gave you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks