What's new

Anybody tried the Infinity R.A.B.O.S. Sound Level Meter Kit? (1 Viewer)

I've got a new 16-46 PC, sounds pretty good set by ear (I've been using sub-sat systems for about 15yrs). I generally start with the Avia setting then end up upping the bass until pleasing. Takes a few days with a variety of materials to arrive at settings for music and movies. I use the 80hz crossover on my Rotel receiver and set all speakers to small. I use Sonus Faber Concerto Homes for my mains.
I am using a ten year old RS meter and aged stereophile test disc. Measurements are all over the map with a greater than 10db variation, up to 15 or more increase in the lower bass. No I'm not a bass freak but do listen at lower levels overall which I believe contributes to having to up it so much. I have the stryker disc on order and will try with that. Main problem is that I find it a hassle to use the rs meter. No I don't have a PC at home, use the trusty webtv.
Am posting to see if anyone has tried the RABOS system Infinity made for it's newer sub line. Called Cruthchfield, they sell the product for $59.95. Rep stated that the sound pressure meter has a digital type read out, a green bar set against a scale. It measures from 20-100Hz. The accompanying test disc outputs from 20-100 Hz in 23 steps. I have seen a review of one of the subs in which the author states the kit would be a good tool for any sub set up. Sorry forgot which mag. Given that I don't really care what my sub is doing under
20Hz does this sound like a good product? If I could get an easier to use product and not have to do all the correction for different freqs. on the RS Meter I would be happy with the cost. Anybody tried one? Thanks in advance.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Lar: I have had the RABOS kit for several months. It is a very good way to measure what you have in the way of bass response.
Here is a link to my thoughts I posted at Digital Theater.R.A.B.O.S. impressions
As I note in my review, the RABOS kit can show you what you have. But unless you can move your sub's location around very much, you won't be able to benefit from it's measurements until you can add a decent quality bass parametric equalizer. (This is to help smooth out the bass peaks and valleys.)
You might do a couple of seaches here at HTF and at DT for parametric eq's. (The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is the most cost effective. Due to a couple of reasons, I ended up buying a Rane PE-17 for my system.) Once you can integrate a parametric eq in to your setup, you will be able to realize the full benefit of the RABOS kit.

Thanks Chuck, followed your link to the review.

Well done. I should have mentioned in my post that

I will be adding a BFD equalizer to my set up once I can get some decent measurements to start with.

Follow up question- since I listen at between 60 and 70 db

would I be better off measuring at that output or does it

matter? The RABOS dictates an 84db starting point per Chuck.

Other follow up question. Does the RS digital SPL meter

(the cheaper one) still need the corrections added for

bass measurements like the analog does?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Lar: Well, you can use your old RS meter and the other discs you've mentioned to calibrate to 70db or so. But for things to sound closer (note, not necessarily "close") to what the movie makers intended, you probably should calibrate things to at least 75 or 80db. It just takes a certain amount of volume to properly load a room with sound, especially the bass.

If you end up using the RABOS kit, you don't have any choice. If you don't calibrate at the 84db level I noted, the meter won't register correctly.

As for the RS digital display vs. the analog one... It's my understanding that with the exception of the readout, they are the same.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
With a parametric EQ, the RABOS kit will tell you exactly what you need - the frequency, the Q and the amount of attenuation required.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's a very positive review of the RABOS by Tom Nousaine in the latest Sensible Sound. It appears that its results matched his MLSSA system with calibrated mic pretty well, which gives it a large advantage over the RS meters. This is as I would expect, since, even if the meter is off on an absolute basis, the manufacturer also has control over

the levels of the tones on the cd, so it can be mastered to offset any inaccuracy. I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread