Anybody tried a Tempur-Pedic® mattress?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The Mrs. and I are in the market for a new mattress and I saw an ad on TV for one of these.

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Am also curious about this mattress...any testimonials would be nice.

Oh, thanks for the funny post Dave.

As far as the last breakthrough...what about that Japanese pillow that felt like it was made out of sand?

3. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

My friend has the pillow made of the same stuff and it is awesome, incredibly comfortable. A woman that I work with has the mattress and absolutely loves it, but I have not tried it out. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

4. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

The mattresses are actually something of a love it/hate it situation. Personally, they're quite comfortable to sleep on, but I have several friends who have tried them out but found them to be too soft and absorbing. As for the memory foam pillows, you may want to check out this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...AR_MSGDBTABLE=

5. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I house sat for a couple of friends 3 years ago and slept on their king size. I normally like a very firm mattress, but this was wonderful. I'd love to get one of these sometime. I slept straight thru the night. I loved how the foam conformed to my body.

I have also slept recently on one of those air adjustable mattresses. No comparisons. I absolutely hate them.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I was considering such a bed, but was put off by the high price. After a little research I got a four-inch deep "mattress topper" made from the same type of visco-elastic foam. Great stuff and a fraction of the cost of a full mattress. (Under $200 including new "deep dish" sheets to cover the thing.) Very comfortable and I definitely have been sleeping better. After living with it for awhile I think I could have gotten by with the (cheaper) 3 or even 2 inch thick versions. It isn't like you sink that far into your typical mattress and I don't really see what the advantage would be in making an entire mattress out of the stuff.

Regards,

Joe

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

There are some other brands that feature the same construction. Check Google. They are much less expensive. The toppers are ok as long as your regular mattress is not suffering from a dip in the middle. The topper won't remove it. You can get a trial period for Tempur Pedic as well as others I believe. I was reading an article about really expensive mattresses that are available. Some go as high as $5000 or more!

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

dude, there's always the floor.[​IMG]

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Buzz,

One doesn't sink into the mattress so you can't move.... er, you know what I mean?

[​IMG]

10. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

The Tempurpedic seems to be the king (punny!) of the foam bed industry. Just about all the other brands claim theirs are "just as good for less money." The foamies offer qualities that one definitely wants in a bed, but have a few drawbacks, most important to me the ability to make any adjustments. The solution for us was an air core mattress with foam layers on top. Nautilus and Select Comfort are the big players and make excellent beds, but at 2,500 to 5,000 bucks, unless I can fly around on one like a magic carpet, there is no friggin'way I'd buy one.
    Then I discovered a company called ComfortAir. Not only do they offer comparable quality and selection to the others, they do it less than half the money. Instead of paying for all those too long and too frequent commercials the other guys run, you pay for the bed. While they are available at ComfortAir stores, I found it easy and economical to order one from an Internet dealer.
    A Califonia King, his and hers adjustments, 2 types of foam layers (6 inches thick!), whisper pump and the best pillow top material offered was a tad under $1100 shipped. It was 1 model (2 steps now) down from the top. The difference was yet another type of foam layer. All material quality was the same. However it was priced at $600 more. I went to Costco and bought a foam cover for regular beds that is made of the same thing and is the same thickness (3") for $199 and put it on bed. Saved $400 bucks and ended up with the top bed.
    I highly recommend this bed. It has change the quality of life for my wife and I. Both of us had back pain almost daily. Gone. She works 16 hour shifts in an ICU unit and being on her feet for so long, suffered severe leg cramps when sleeping. Gone. Both us have all but quit snoring. No more arms going to sleep or necks that won't move in the morning. Regular spring mattresses suck. Sealy, Simmons and all those have absurd prices too!
    Get a ComfortAir.
    One more thing I learned while shopping for the bed, some mattress sales people lie as readily as some stereo sales people!

11. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

Keep an eye on the Deals section. SmartBargains.com puts these things on sale all the time.

I use one of the "toppers" on a futon mattress and didn't find it very comfortable when it was between me and the mattress. Just for kicks, I flipped it so that the topper was between the mattress and the frame, and that made things more comfortable. To be fair, the mattress is getting a bit "crushed" due to its age, so any padding that increases its thickness is a welcome improvement.

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'd love to try one out. My wife and I absolutely hate our pillow-top mattress; and it's less than a year old!

One thing bad I've heard about the Tempur-Pedic (and other "memory foam" products) is that due to the heat-sensitive nature of the material, they can be almost rock-hard if your bedroom gets kind of cool in the wintertime.

Just something to think about.

Matt

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I have one of the 3-inch memory foam toppers. I love it to death, but the damn thing gets kind of warm. Be prepared to crank up the AC at night..

I also bought one of the foam pillows. I've gotta say that I'm not too crazy about it. The angle is just all wrong for my head...

To address Buzz's concern: no problems in that area at all. In fact, the thing helped my g/f, ummm...stay put a little better [​IMG]

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I have tried both tempur pedic brand and the cheaper brand pillows like the one costco sells.

There is a huge difference IMO and it's all in the visco elastic foam.

In an AB comparison (heh, in a 1500cf room), I just found that the cheaper pillow has less absorb/and compression. It's like resting your head on a big dense sponge as opposed to the tempur pedic which has the ability to let your head sink into it more. I of course still use the costco pillow because there's a price savings of like 60%.

I wouldn't get it as a bed because it's just too soft for since I am used to dirt and rocks during those hot summers in Rangoon.

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

From personal experience I find that the heat-retaining properties of a foam-based bed are excellant in winter (And they be comfy too!), but during the hot summer months, I don't want a foam matress that traps my body heat, making me more uncomfortable.

17. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor