Anybody seen JVC AV-34WP84 16:9 Direct-View?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Susilo, Jun 6, 2003.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

This TV supposedly comes with a digital picture interpolator that upconverts any signal to 1500i.

Anybody seen this?

2. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

I am looking for it to. Anyone see this TV on display anywhere?? HOw does it it compare to the other 34s??

3. Michael_Q

Michael_Q Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at this set long and hard because I am in the market for a 34" and it is priced lower than the other direct views. It is on display at my Video Only in the Seattle area.

It is set up right next to the Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic models, which all seem to display much more detail than the JVC. I was disappointed in the JVC's overly soft picture.

I guess it isn't a huge difference in picture quality, but it is not difficult to see when lined up next to the others. I did play around with all of the menu settings to try to fix it, but it didn't really help.

All of the TV's were displaying the Monsters, Inc. DVD. Based on what I have read, the JVC upscales everything to what they call "1500i"(who knows what that actually means), and this could be part of the reason for the soft-looking picture. However, the problem wasn't just softness, but less overall detail as well. The other sets were much better at showing the little wrinkles and blemishes in the green, one-eyed character's face (forgot his name), as well as every little hair on the big blue hairy guy (forgot again).

I should reiterate that I have spent a good amount of time looking at these sets side-by-side, so maybe I am overstating it, but I doubt it.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

So which set did you like the best?

5. Michael_Q

Michael_Q Stunt Coordinator

Strictly in terms of picture quality, I would say the high-end Sony is the best. However, the difference is not worth the price to me.

The Panasonic and Toshibas were a very close second, with the Toshiba 34" coming out on top for me because the Panny won't accept a 720p signal.

It seems to me that the Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba models all put out an outstanding picture--so close that I could barely see any difference in quality by staring at them next to each other.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Thanks Michael & if I was buying one & the picture quality is that close I would probably go with the Toshiba because I have always liked their color decoders. As for the Sony I think it's over-priced & the 90 Day Labor Warranty would be a NO NO for me.

7. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

I was told today at a small B&M that the JVC and the Toshiba share the same picture tube. Anyone heard this before??