What's new

Anybody seen Jimmy Neutron? (1 Viewer)

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Yes, saw it with the kiddos the other day. They liked it, definitely a kids movie, not a lot of 'adult' oriented humour like Shrek, but had a good story and animation, and was short enough to keep their attention and yours. I give it a B+ :)

I agree. I took my son to see it and was actually dreading going. Pleasantly surprised. My son loved it and I actually laughed a few times. Not a bad flick to get "stuck" taking your kid to. B+ sounds about right to me.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Paul and Bob,
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Tell your friends! :)
A couple of friends of mine worked on the film, and are currently working on the TV series, so I'd like to see the movie (and therefore, them) succeed.
Embarrassingly enough, I have yet to see it (tonight, I hope)...

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
As a good uncle, :) I took the young ones to this one. It was surprisingly good. Definitely for the kids between the 6-10 age group. The animation was good and the story surprisingly smart. Not a whole lot for adults but the kids should enjoy it.
~Edwin

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
My sons are 12 and 14, and they enjoyed it. (The 12 year-old requested to see it.)
I too was dreading going, but found it enjoyable and surprisingly well done. The colors alone are engaging for most of the movie ;).
I also liked the theme of the kids wishing their parents weren't around to tell them what to do - only to discover the consequences. Definitely recommended if you have kids in the 5-12 age range.

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie. I took my six year old daughter and we both loved it. It is fine for adults too, even if you don't have kids. There might not be a lot of 'adult' humor, whatever that is, but it is not 'kiddie humor' either. It is smartly written, clever, goofy humor that most anyone can enjoy. Much like the Toy Story movies. Highly recommended.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jimmy Neutron:Boy Genius
Strictly on the sense of this being a kids movie, its actually a good movie. It offers nice animation and Steve Oedekerk serves up a funny script with decent kid/adult jokes(but, not many adult jokes)
The most fun scenes were the kids at their favorite amusement park, and Martin Short as the alien.
I was a little disappointed to see one of the funniest lines omitted from the movie. "What ever is left of me, is kicking your butt!"-Wonder why?
RATING=B

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A couple of friends of mine worked on the film, and are currently working on the TV series, so I'd like to see the movie (and therefore, them) succeed.
Cool, Joel. They're practically just around the corner from my office, and a few ex-staffers of ours work there too.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Hmm... I took my 4yo daughter today. She liked it and I got a 30 minute nap in during the middle. It looked nice, it just didn't have anything to stimulate the mind.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Took the family today, the girls (6 & 8) liked it. The mother did not. I was having too much fun. There were, perhaps, more "in jokes" than some thought. The colors were exceptional and I only wish I was still regularly dropping....uh, uh, where was I? Oh yeah, the colors...
Well, one of my favorite bits was Jimmy singing a bit of Billy Joe Shaver's I'm Just An Old Chunk Of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be A Diamond Someday.) The rest of the music was also well chosen.
I think I'll buy the DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:
Jim

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I was rather disappointed. It was pretty funny, but not what I'd call a "good movie." Even on a kid's level. The movie relied to much on gags (good gags though) but had no substance to it. It didn't pass the kid test in my family either. My kids (ages 5 and 3) sat through it and laughed at the appropriate times, but didn't ask for a second viewing...which they always do when it's something they like. In fact, they haven't mentioned the movie since, even though they watch Nick all the time and have surely seen the promotions.
I'd give it a C-. Or on my scale a 2/5 (OK to spend the money on a rental, or matinee tickets if you must see it in theaters...not worth a second viewing or a purchase...you're not missing anything if you avoid it). It's just slightly below average. Funny gags, good moral to the story, but not worth "movie" status...but should be good as 30 minute episodes after school or on Saturday mornings. I would certainly enjoy it in television cartoon format.
When/if it goes to television programs they should keep the animation quality like the movie. I've noticed that the animation in the promotions is poor in comparison, and is rather distracting. The promotions just feel cheap.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I took my five year old daughter to see it and thought it was fairly amusing. I would say it is comparable to A Goofy Movie as far as entertainment and production value. Lots of amusing little character moments. It is nothing more or less than the film it was advertised to be. I certainly enjoyed it more than either of the Rugrats features.

Regards,

RogerB

Second Unit
Took my son and his friend (both 8). They loved it and can't wait to see it again. I enjoyed the 80's music! :b

Steven K

Supporting Actor
One of my old High-School teachers, Kirby Atkins, was one of the lead animators for the movie... kinda cool

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
the scene where the bad-ass kid is telling the scary campfire story on the planet and the other kid jumps out at the end, actually scared my girlfriend

i tried my hardest but had to make fun of her

decent movie, but nothing fantastic.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Update:

The "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt" got chopped because our friends at the MPAA only allows one use of the word "butt" in a G-rated feature, which is why they had to use "buttocks" in two places...

Why "buttocks" is okay, and "butt" is not, I have no idea. Someone needs to kick Jack Valenti in the buttocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks