anybody ride a unicycle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I bought a couple of them for thirty dollars at a thirft store a couple of years ago and finally decided to learn to ride this year. I've got basic riding down. I can easily go five or more blocks, can ride off curbs, just basics. I want to add more skills but all the web sites I come across only have instructions for basic riding skills. I'd like to learn how to remain on the bike while stationary and learn to ride backwards. Any advice or web sites?

jeremy

2. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

A friend of mine was written up in the Atlantic Monthly about five years ago as the "world's best rough-terrain unicyclist." Who knew there was such a thing? He rides along the shore of Resurrection Bay and up the mountains in Seward, Alaska.

At the time the article was written, he was working on riding a seatless unicycle. Talk about stamina . . . .

It was a fascinating article, and he is a fascinating guy - a true brilliant eccentric in regard to his physical pursuits and his intellectual interests.

He is a lawyer and is the long-time magistrate in Seward, Alaska. If I remember right, he went to MIT - a further testament to his wide-ranging interests.

If you are interested in the article, and you can't get it on-line, I could send it to you. I imagine he has an email address, which I could also try to get for you inf you are interested.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Extreme freeriding Unicycling! Yeah!
    I've seen Mountain Unicycling before but what's the point of just being able to ride downhill? One of the best pleasures of MTBing is being able to go everywhere, including uphill!
    I've done some unicycling on my MTB, except it usually only lasts for a few split seconds before I go flying into the woods. [​IMG]
    Maybe that'll be my next wheeled non-motorized transportation device.. Although I need a single speed, a fixed gear, and a tandem too, as well as a track bike.
    Jay

6. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Tried it once. Fell down. Won't do it again...

--Anders

7. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Well, since you have riding off curbs down, perhaps it's time to try riding Kris Holm-style...
    [​IMG]

8. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,
    Go to www.unicyclist.com and then go to Forums and then to "rec.sport.unicycling". Some of the world's foremost unicyclists hang out there, and you can get plenty of advice.
    As Matt's picture alludes to, Kris Holm is considered the world's foremost mountain unicyclist (MUni) rider by several degrees of magnitude. Some (ok, all) of the things he does are just incredible.
    At this past summer's World Unicycle Championships (UNICON 11), held in my hometown of North Bend, WA, he showed his new movie "Into the Thunder Dragon" which is a documentary about his travels unicycling across Bhutan, including up and down the Himalayas! One of my favorite quotes about Kris Holm is "Just because Kris Holm can do it doesn't mean it's possible!"
    As a proud father, I also have to mention that both my daughters ride with the Panther Pride Demo Team, one of the USA's best youth unicycle programs. In fact, at this summer's National Championships (held just prior to Unicon also in North Bend), my eldest daughter Shannon (8) won a gold in individual freestyle for her age group!

9. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent