What's new

Anybody remember, Run Buddy Run? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I have the first 8 or 9 shows from off film. I'm not sure but I believe TV Land may have run the pilot at some point in their early years. That would have been the only rebroadcast for the show in the US. They only made 16 of them. The story with that show is that the ratings started out poorly and the show was cancelled. Unlike the moronic way television networks are run today, when a show was cancelled they would still continue to air it until all of the shot episodes ran. So after CBS pulled the plug, they tore down the set. But then a funny thing happened. People discovered the show and the ratings began going up. CBS then decided to uncancel it but by then it was too late. Bruce Gordon is great in it, playing a spoof of his Frank Nitti character from The Untouchables. A good release for when the TV industry catches up with the music industry. Paramount handmade anyone?

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Run Buddy Run, ran for half a season, and then was cancelled.
Mr Terrific replaced it. I liked, Run Buddy Run, better.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Wow...these two shows are my very earliest TV memories, along with Captain Nice.

Jon

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Series lead, Jack Sheldon, also appears in the two-part episode "Songbird" contained in "Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer, Private Eye". (This is the terrific, overlooked 1996-'97 show starring Stacy Keach.) Sheldon's a trumpet player in this, and he's just great. The 26 episode, single season set from Tango can be found rather cheaply (I found mine for $7.99 at Menard's...a home-improvement store chain in the Midwest), but it's well worth whatever you pay,

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I saw the pilot episode to Run, Buddy, Run rerun somewhere about 10 years ago. It wasn't funny, which explains why series star Jack Sheldon never made the big time. Although Bruce Gordon was a wonderful character actor, almost always being typecast in menacing roles.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

In your opinion. While Sheldon wasn't really a good choice for the role, the show did have it's moments and one should never judge a series based on the pilot alone.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You guys are taking me back to all those Merv Griffin shows when Merv would pull Jack Sheldon out of the band (led by Mort Lindsey) and engage in idle banter.

From what I remember, Sheldon wasn't all that funny in those bits either! ;)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The writers are supposed to put their best foot forward with the pilot, as first impressions are very important with any TV series. The problem with Run, Buddy, Run is the premise: A man overhears some syndicate men in a turkish bath plotting a murder, but the only information he catches are the codewords "chicken little" which is meaningless to Buddy....who is then chased all over the country by Bruce Gordon and his men. What the sitcom was attempting was a semi-spoof of The Fugitive crossed with Get Smart!, but this inept-man-on-the-run series went nowhere.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Jack Sheldon also appeared as the holographic piano player/bandleader in the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION first-season episode, "11001001".

I recall watching "Run, Buddy Run" due to the summer preview promos looking good. It was a tough choice as it aired against the color season premiere of I DREAM OF JEANNIE. After one episode, I let Buddy run while I returned to dreaming of Jeannie.

Harry

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

How intuitive of you to be able to make such judgments based on the viewing of one episode, and then over 30 years after it aired. The show didn't "go nowhere" as you put it and actually began to climb in the ratings after a couple of months. Unfortunately all of the sets had been struck by the time CBS got second thoughts because the show might have been saved otherwise. No, it's no lost classic, like He and She or Occasional Wife, but there have been far worse shows that have been successful (anything by Sherwood Schwartz)

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Jack Sheldon is a very respected and seasoned jazz musician and this is his primary profession. Acting/comedy was always a sideline for him (as was the case with Med Flory) and I don't think Sheldon ever expected to "make the big time".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've never had the opportunity to see Occasional Wife, because it was never on any cable channel reruns...at least not on cable channels I've gotten over the past 25 years. He and She was on USA Network for awhile, and that was a bright, well-written show thanks to the involvement of Get Smart's Leonard Stern. Paula Prentiss & her husband Richard Benjamin were perfect on that sitcom, and so was the late Jack Cassidy. The show won an Emmy and was nominated for at 3 more. There's a show that deserves a DVD release!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've never had the opportunity to see Occasional Wife, because it was never on any cable channel reruns...at least not on cable channels I've gotten over the past 25 years. He and She was on USA Network for awhile, and that was a bright, well-written show thanks to the involvement of Get Smart's Leonard Stern. Paula Prentiss & her husband Richard Benjamin were perfect on that sitcom, and so was the late Jack Cassidy. The show won an Emmy and was nominated for at least 3 more. There's a program that deserves a DVD release!

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Jack Sheldon also sang a bunch of the "Schoolhouse Rock" songs, including most memorably "Conjunction Junction" and "I'm Just A Bill." He is primarily known as a jazz musician, and did a lot of session work. I see his name in the musician credits on some of the Monkees' CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks