Anybody play Online poker?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike_Dikun, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Mike_Dikun

Mike_Dikun Agent

I've been playing poker online for about 6 months now

I've been winning alot!

Just wondering if any of you guys play and how well you do?

For me I play the $1/$2 Texas Holdem tables and I pretty much just play good cards and let the other players make mistakes.

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Inspired by Chris Moneymaker and a few others I have taken up Texas Hold'em online to study the game mechanics and learn the odds and percentages.

I'm only using play money right now but they are very loose aggressive games where if I stay in a hand I usually get beat on the river where the winner usually has offsuited junk cards while I have a high pair and catch little on the flop.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I don't play, but my manager does and he always talks about it. Apparently if you aren't playing with real money, it's aggravating to play for the reason Blu said. Plus there are so many people playing online and moving from room to room, it makes it difficult to learn how an individual person plays a hand. When he enters $25 or $50 tournaments from time to time he claims they are much more fun. The people stay in the room, so you can try to learn their playing method, and you have a chance to win a little bit of money in the process. Of course you can also end up losing money, so be careful.

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

My goal is to play in a satellite or a super satellite tournament and see how I do in a real tournament but I need more practice first.

What are everyone's favorite poker sites?

5. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

You get that in the money rooms as well until you get into the higher stakes rooms. People will typically stay in hands they shouldn't when the stakes are really low (say $1/$2) as it doesn't cost much to see the hand play out (typical pot size in a $1/$2 game is less than $20 with 10-12 players). In the long run they lose their money (as they bet on every hand), but I've lost more than a few pots on people who make their hand on the river card when they otherwise had junk.

Andrew

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've been playing for about a year. I play mostly $10+$1 single table tournaments on PartyPoker. I play some of the low stakes money tables but they're often frustrating for the reasons noted above. I don't know how many times I've had a so-so top hand and had someone bet into me with garbage until they caught on the river.

All in all (no pun intended) I hold my own against the players, but the entry fees and rake tend to eat up my bankroll over time.

7. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I've been playing at party poker for about 6 months. I took an original buy in of $50 to about $320 before giving it all back. I played everything from the $.50/$1 up to the $3/$6. The problem is, as mentioned above, unless you have the bankroll to play in a bigger game (say $10/$20 or so) you will constantly get rivered by some lucky dude who stayed in on crap. Even if you try to bully them out with raises they'll stay in anyway. It can be quite annoying! Even when playing only premium hands like AA and AKs I still got rivered a lot more than I would have at a higher limit.

Usually to beat a low limit loose game like that you'd only play premium hands and play very tight (but agressive) but it didn't seem to work for me in the ranges I mentioned.

So, after about a month to cool down after my 5 losing sessions in a row (say goodby $320 [​IMG] )I bought back in for another $50 and have been playing pot limit and small tourneys. It seems much more beatable. I've slowly doubled my money in the 5 to 7 sessions I've played since I started pot limit.

Its a good waste of an hour now and then.

-Marshall

8. Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula Stunt Coordinator

I started playing PartyPoker about 3 months ago. I bought in for an original $100 and got the $20 sign-in bonus. So far i've gotten that up to $550 and can win pretty steadily (damn college cutting into my play time).

I usually play limit poker, either $.5/$1 tables or sometimes the $1/$2. Occasionally I will jump over to the No-limit tables for a game or two.

The best advice I can give anyone is start off at the lowest limits and work your way up. Most people will advise you have around 300 BB (big bets) to carry you through the upswings and downswings (This means if you are playing .5/1 you should have around $300 in your bank roll).

If you are really hardcore into becoming a good hold'em player I advise you read as many books as possible. Many people agree the best place to start is with:
    Winning Low Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones
    and then read
    Hold'em for Advanced Players by David Sklansky

The forums over at http://www.twoplustwo.com also helped me immensely

Partypoker.com is a good place to start since alot of people there are horrible at poker. However if you really wanna play without risking a whole bunch of money check out Pokerstars.com they have .05/.10 games to get you started.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I have a friend who has been playing at PartyPoker for about 3 years now. He's up about $80k, though devotes at least 5hrs a day to poker.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So how much of that $80K gets reported to the IRS? Just wondering if big winner of online poker had to declare the "income".

11. Noah Gottula

Technically you're suppose to report all gambling winnings. However since these are off-shore companies, the IRS has no way of getting their records, so people find ways to get around reporting it. With 80k, a large chunk of that would go to the IRS, which would be a huge risk to conceal but many people wish to play those odds it would seem (not referring to your friend but many online players in general).

12. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Would someone explain the 1/2 or .5/1 numbers please?
    I see those numbers on Party Pokers tables and know they are bet limits but exactly which bets do they apply to?

13. Noah Gottula

Those are for limit poker games. Heres an example:

$1/$2 limit

Small Blind = $0.50
    Big Blind = $1

Before the flop: You can bet or raise $1
    On the flop: You can bet or raise $1
    On the turn: You can bet or raise $2
    On the river: You can bet or raise $2

Its also important to note the pot can be raised only 4 times per street. So if you bet, someone raises, you can reraise, and they can reraise you one final time.

Thats basically the only difference from no-limit in which you can bet however much you want and as many times as you want.

14. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Many thanks!
    I knew roughly what they were but didn't know the specifics!

15. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I like Omaha Hi/Lo myself.

In practice play playing the $5/$10 tables I got over $900 up.

In real play on the 10/20 cent tables (yeah Im cheap) I'm down about $15.