Anybody pick up ASB 2004 for Xbox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Berti, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

Picked it up last night, only got to play it about 10 minutes but so far I'm not impressed. Graphics I believe are subpar. The worst part is that if a ball is hit to a fielder you cant see the ball go directly into the glove it is magically absorbed from about 5 feet away. I'll give it another chance tonight, but it might be going back to EB soon.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I'm waiting for MVP and World Series on the 12th. I think I might just get both and return the one I like the least. Their best offering was on the N64. I would actually still rather play All Star on the N64 than any other baseball game.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I enjoyed ASB 2003 but from the sounds of it this edition takes some steps backward gameplay wise. For me it's either ASB 2004(which I'm thinking I'm probably gonna pass on) or I'm waiting to see the new MS baseball game. For me at the very least downloadable rosters are a must as it bugs me to no end to have a game with rosters that are outdated by two weeks into the season.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Guys, you really have to try High Heat. ASB is a disgrace to baseball videogaming.

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I tried High Heat 2003 on my friends computer last summer and I was unimpressed. Aiming the pitch seemed odd and unprecise and batting felt like I was playing Bases Loaded for the original nintendo. I may give it a look but for some reason downloadable roster updates is a huge thing to me and I'd really hate to get a game that lacks that feature. At any rate, I'm taking a wait and see attitude towards this years crop of baseball titles.

6. Bruce Berti

One thing I did like about the game was that they added the new seats in the Green Monster at Fenway. Also a plus is in game saves.
    After being spoiled some great video football games, I was expecting the same calibur in baseball.

7. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Bruce: Baseball games are an interesting species. As you see above, Dave seems to like the pitching cursor system while I don't. What's more, some people are really into franchise, roster updates, stats, and all that. I personally like to just set up my lineup and play. I don't care about trades or franchise budget and all that.

Depends on what you're into. Check them all out. There are so many coming out this year that surely one will work out for ya.

8. Bruce Berti

Youre right, everyone looks for different things.
    I look for:
    1. Graphics- Don't have to be perfect but I do want the players to be proportionate. Also, as I mentioned, I like to see the ball go into a players glove.
    2. I cant tolerate a game that you cant score from second on a base hit, get thrown out at second when theres a man on first after a base hit, get thrown out at first on a ball hit to right field, or dp's are impossible or too easy.
    3. Proportionate amount of ground balls and pop ups
    4. I want to be able to play out a season and NOT have a player have 103 HRs and 272 rbi.
    5. When a player hits a homerun I like to see it rattle around in the stands a little, and not just disappear.
    I know it sounds picky but little things like that are a big deal to me because I'm such a fan of baseball.

Realism is the key! Every baseball video game should have the Red Sox play real well until September and then choke also!
    [​IMG]

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Bruce: Sounds like you like the same things as I in baseball videogames: good simulation.

That's why I like High Heat. Show me a pitching cursor in real baseball and a pitcher who can pinpoint his aim every pitch. Not gonna happen. In High Heat, pitchers have off days. Even the umpires are variable, so sometimes a high fastball will get you a strike, and on other days the ump doesn't call those. Throwing high and in will even give you the outside of the plate. Following up a fastball with a changeup will often result in the batter's head somewhere in left field. That's baseball. Not balls of fire shooting off of bats, explosive sounds from homeruns, etc.

You can actually score from second on a base hit. You can only sometimes pull off a double play dependent upon how hard the grounder is hit, the fielders' abilities, and the speed of the runners. You'll never throw to first in time on a base hit to right field. If anything, the runner will see that and take off for second leaving you look like the bad fielder.

The graphics are okay. It seems 3DO spent more time on the gameplay and simulation than the polygon count and shiny helmets. For me, that's just fine.

10. Bruce Berti

Josh-
    Is High heat out for Xbox or do you have the PS version?

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

High Heat is not out for Xbox yet, but it is out for PS2.

Here are the baseball scores from Official Xbox Magazine:
    WSB 2K3 - 8.8
    ASB 2004 - 7.7
    HHB 2004 - 8.2
    MVP Baseball - 8.4

12. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Im waiting for the Microsoft baseball game with Live play

capt

13. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I think ASB2004 came off just fine. I thought ASB2003 was the best of the baseball games for the Xbox last year (I didn't try HH for the PS2) and ASB2004 picks up where last year left off.

Things that I liked:
    - Graphics are a little better, not so choppy.
    - Pitch selections are brighter and easier to see, it's clearer when your pitcher is fatigued (because you can see the meter) and it's clearer on how to pitch out or throw to 1st/3rd, etc. (Almost too clear, read the manual lazy!)
    - Franchise mode looks deeper (just getting into it now) than last year.

Things that still bug me:
    - Like last year, I miss having a speed burst button for stealing bases or even more importantly running to catch a fly ball. Sometimes the players stand around instead of letting me run them to foul territory. (Same as last year)
    - Batting is still damn hard. I know that I really enjoyed the game last year, but remember spending a lot of time on Rookie so I could get a hit. Same thing this year, be prepared to strike out... A LOT... early on.
    - Minor Leagues are still not deep enough. The Mariners have Meche, Cloude and Anderson (not that he has a chance this year,) pitching in Arizona with a chance to make the club. Are they on the minor league team? Nope. What about Shin Soo Chew the young outfielder in our system who has never hit below .300? Nope. Get me a bigger Minor League roster!! (Bitching aside, it's cool to have AAA, then your lower AA and A clubs combined, I like the multiple farm levels.)

Cool additions like the Ball Park tour, videos, and a bunch of stuff I haven't even tried yet (the pick up game and legends) that I think will really add to the game.

If you liked last years version, you'll like this one too, probably a little more due to upgrades and improvements.

Yeah, it's not playable on Xbox Live, but downloadable rosters will be pretty cool.

That said, I'm still looking forward to MVP. I know I like ASB, so I bought it so I could have a game now.

Doug

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I don't like games without a pitching and batting cursor. It's simply too arcade-y.