Anybody own the Marantz 8300 yet?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by WarrenCo, Aug 14, 2002.

1. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

I am very interested this piece and wanted to hear from anyone who owns it what they think. Anyone own it yet?

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The review for this will be in the third issue of DVD Etc. The short of it is that I liked the audio section very much for all the formats, and this player is staying in my rack...

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Did you ever properly test Bass management on DVD-A/SACD?

Regards,

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

ManojM- So for all the good things about it, how about the negatives?
    (I call "DVD Etc," DVD Lite, because their reviews are always so short and never ever find anything wrong with a component. My opinion! [​IMG] )

5. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

ManojM,

A couple of questions for you.

When will that issue be out?

Am I correct in infering that youa re not crazy about the video performance of the 8300?

Thanx

6. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I have actually spent some time with the bass management on the 8300, and actually had some discussion about it with the Marantz people. It turns out that there is bass management with SACD, and that is what I was testing with earlier on. I had made the foolish mistake of assuming that if bass management was available for SACD it would be available for DVD-A. I have actually confirmed it independantly again myself that bass management does work for SACD, and before you ask John, yes the subwoofer levels do go up when I change speakers to small. It is quite easy to hear audibly. As for DVD-A, you can change the speakers in the menu from large to small, but apparantly it has no effect. This is also responsible for my assuming that DVD-A did have bass management, as the menu worked the same way as it did for SACD. I have not yet gotten the technical reasons from Marantz why there is no bass management for DVD-A, but they have promised me an answer.

Kevin,
    I will take issue with your characterization, as I try to be fair and point out the negatives of every single piece that I review. Writing for DVD Etc. is not my real career, so I have very little at stake when I write about a piece. If you click on the link below, you will be able to see that I really don't need the money either, I do this simply because I really have fun with it. I have the freedom to completly destroy something if I want to, no one is stopping me, especially since I am not beholden to the industry. Before I started writing for the magazine, I used to have the same complaint about magazines, that they never wrote anything negative. Interestingly enough, there is something to the concept that magazines try to weed out some of the crap and not review it. No one wants to review something that isn't at least a good performer, and I try in my reviews to say if something performs reasonably well, or performs exceptionally well. If it doesn't do something well, I point it out to the reader. By saying this, I cannot speak for others, only myself and the freedom that I have to write what I want. Furthermore, I think that like anything else, it takes time for individual voices to be found in a writing staff, and improvement comes not only with each issue, but also with taking the feedback from readers such as yourself to heart. I personally like the second issue much better than the first, and the third will be better still. Terry Carroll has really made an effort to change the publication to make it better from the feedback on this forum. I really do admire him as he is a very smart, clever fellow.

Warren,
    The video performance of the Marantz is exactly the same as the Pioneer DV-47. It is not terrible, it is just not as good as other players that I have had, and does not measure up to the quality of the audio performance. I don't really use it for video except for some concert discs (DTS and the like) where I prefer the decoding in the player, and having the time alignment is a nice feature for this. The issue with the Marantz comes out in October, I believe. Next year DVD ETC goes to 10 issues a year, and there won't be as long a wait between issues.

I like the Marantz a lot, it really does sound very good, and I think I am going to keep it around. I was very surprised how good it performed on regular CDs, even compared to the Krell unit, so Marantz has done an exceptional job with this unit. As for negatives on the performance, look to my comments on the video section, the remote is sort of plain and bland, the display is the same as the Pioneer, and no bass management for DVD-A.

7. John Kotches

Manoj,

Interesting news.....

Thanks for sharing your results.

Regards,

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well, I have a 2 year subscription to DVD Lite, errr, I mean DVD Etc, so hopefully they will get better.

I have read that theoretically, the newer DV-47ai and the 45a *will* have complete bass management, but I guess time will tell.

9. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

I can't believe no one owns one of these yet.

10. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I just bought one. I traded up from the Sony 9000ES.

I have not had much time to play with it yet, but so far it seems like a good buy.

SACD performance is great. (both 2 and surround) compared to both the SCD-777ES and 9000ES units. I would rate it about the same in two channel mode. The other units did not do surround.

DVD-A performance is great. (compared to the Denon 3300)

CD performance..could be better. The SCD-777ES is a better CD player (but it first cost $3500 so it should). I will most likly end up with a new CD player.

Video could be better. I might have just been so used to the 9000ES, but I think it was better. There are TONS of video adjustments available on the unit and I have not yet tweaked them so it could get better. This is not to say it is bad, I just thought the 9000ES was a tad bit better. Also, my TV was professionally tuned by Chuck Williams (ISF guy out of DC) via the 9000ES. So maybe it is just different and if the TV was readjusted to match the Marantz it would be better. The picture just seemed a bit sharper and the colors seemed a bit brighter with the 9000ES. I have to try and adjust them once it burns in a bit.

I do not have the 9000ES any more so these observations are from memory. Same goes for the SCD-777ES.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, I had asked you how the '8300 and '777ES compare with CD and stereo SACDs in another thread. Seeing as you addressed theissue here, ignore my question should you come across it. [​IMG]
    Are you saying that you no longer have the '777ES? It's still in your signature. [​IMG]

12. Brian Fitterman

Yes I have not updated any of my signatures or pics on my website. I have replace the two channel anthem with a Proceed HPA2.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, O.K. Thanks. Have you identified candidates to replace the '777ES?

14. Brian Fitterman

I like the performance of the DV-8300 for SACD and DVD-A. But I do need a 2 channel CD player.

I am thinking about a Linn (not sure of the model name - Genko or something like that) or the new Meridian 507. They list for about $1,700, and $2,200. That might have to wait a few months. I am trying to do a major addtion to my house including a dedicated media room. But if that does not pan out, I will most likly get one of these two players, or maybe a used Meridian 506.24.

15. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

I thought this player would be very popular around here. Any ideas why there is not more excitement about this or any other "universal" machines?

16. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Maybe because it's not ubiquitously available yet. Maybe because it's too expensive for many. Maybe because its video performance, based on early feedback, is nothing special (i.e., same as / similar to Pioneer 47A video). Just a few guesses.

Doug

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Marantz is maybe $1200 - $1500 street? That's too much for me for a DVD player. If it had complete bass management, and if I could get one for about $1g, I'd be looking at it. (Although it still may have the chroma bug too.)
    But the DV47a? I was planning on getting one along with an Outlaw 950 originally, but now that the 950 is taking so long, and if the B&K Ref 50 falls in the low $2k's, that's the combo I'd get. Although now, it will also be interesting to see the differences between the 45a and the 47a. (I don't need progressive scan for example.)
    So my price points are $2k for a pre/pro, and $1k for a uni player. One more thing: I for one still remember the admittedly small but still present snafu for the x200 series of receivers by Marantz. (Noise level, dropouts? I don't even remember what the problem was! [​IMG] ) So I would look at a Marantz player a little more carefully especially considering the higher price.
    I think universal players are the future. I bet as soon as they drop below $200, we won't see stand-alone DVD-V machines any longer.

18. John Kotches

Kevin,

I doubt the Ref50 will be in the low $2Ks. The word I've heard is more along the lines of US$4K - US$5K.

Regards,

19. Brian Fitterman

Ref 50 in the low $2k's? I dont think so.
    The Snafu of the Marantz x200 receivers was a VERY small inital set of them that first came out. Marantz addressed it right away and fixed any for free.
    I have owned both B&K and Marantz (no Marantz recievers though) and I had MANY problems with the B&K stuff. This was when the Ref 20/10's and AVR202's first came out. B&K had tons of issues..but they too fixed them with firmware upgrades. Look at the 950 you are waiting for, many bugs. Thats the price you pay for early adoptor.
    The 8300 is by far NOT an early piece. DVD-A has been out for a while, as well as SACD. I waited for the first good quality universal player. Will there be a better one comming, of course. The is ALWAYS something better. The Marantz satisfied my needs, and met the price point I was looking for. The only SACD-Multi that I liked previously was the 777XES by Sony for over $2k, and no DVD-A...I was not going to buy that. I did not like the quailty of the Pioneer, so I did not buy that. The Marantz was it. Out of any of those players, the SCD777ES I had was the only real good CD player (can you tell I am quite fussy yet [​IMG]), but I sold that for basicly what I paid ($1400) to get other stuff (including the 8300) that I wanted. Also the sony took at least 10-15 seconds to que up a disc, plus the long time to unload. I was getting quit impatiant with it so I made the decision to sell it knowing I will get a dedicated CD player later. The 8300 works good enough as a CD in the meantime. This is where the Marantz Reference line beats the 8300 - Better PCM DACs, but they are way to expensive of DVD-A or SACD ONLY (not universal) players.
    The audio portion of hte 8300 is excellent. Better than the Pioneer. Video, could be better. I don't see the big deal with the Croma bug so many people make such a big deal over. It is really only visable for very very short flashes, and mostly just on Cartoons. I have never noticed it while just watching a movie. You have to look for it.
    Anyways, that is my opinion on Marantz.
    BTW, you will never see a universal player drop below $200 with the quaility of the 8300. Not for a very long time, if at all.

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hmmm... B&K must have got it right, then, by the time of the Ref 30 at least as judged by the ratings on audioreview, for example.
    The 8300 *is* based on the DV-47a.
    But it is also Marantz's first foray into universal players.
    Dang, I was hoping this wasn't too good to be true...
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1034650466