Anybody own B&W

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I am new to this brand and from what I hear in the stores they seem ok. I am looking at the 601's a bookshelf size speaker. I was considering def techs 80 monitors or mabye a little bigger bookshelf in the near future. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

B&W's are great, I'd say one of the best built speakers and a good warranty and usually the dealers are great (I guess not all but the one here is).
    I have 303's and am getting 602's July 5th [​IMG] The 601's are the # 1 selling bookself in the UK, maybe even the # 1 selling speaker!

3. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

I got my first pair of B&Ws earlier today (about 10 hours ago), along with a nakamichi av-10. I am very impressed! I got the 603 S2, the imaging is very good, very detailed, very good base... I am very happy with them so far, and they're barely broken in yet!

4. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I am also looking at the 601 or 602 s3 also paired with a lcr60 and planning on using those wierd looking lm1's for side surrounds. But still not sure what to use for rear surrounds maybe 601's. I am really interesed in what you think of your 600 series speakers.

5. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair of B&W601 s2's and let me tell you, these are great speakers for the price. It is quite a step up from the 303's. The only problem is is that they have quite a long work in period before they start really singing!

6. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

How long would you guess?

7. Jason P. Brett

I have the 603s3 and LCR60s3, which replaced some 601s1 and a CC6s1. The new models are great! The old ones were terrific too, but the new models have much improved midrange and treble. I don't really have any basis to compare the low end because the 603s are obviously much larger. In the sorrento ash finish they are also much nicer to look at. As far as break-in goes: I've used them just about every day for three months (not always at high volume), and I'd say they're just now getting where they need to be. When I first used them, they sounded a little bright. The treble wasn't fatiguing but it seemed to over shadow the midrange. The midrange opened up in about two weeks and everything sounded fine. Since then, their performance has continued to improve at low volume. They used to need a good amount of power to sound their best, particularly in the bass, but as they have loosened up they have gotten much better.
    Check out my system on the theaters page.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28923.html
    Jason

8. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have B&W DM630 mains and HTM2 center. LOVE them. I picked up the 630s used at a very cheap price about 1 year ago. I am upgrading them in the next 3-4 months to N804s and I just bought a pair of DS6 THX dipole surrounds. I love B&W speakers.

Marc

9. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    The 601's are great speakers, I have been using a pair as rears for about 4months and have just put them in as mains and they are more than capable of the job, I also use the LCR60-3 centre which is an excellent speaker for the money. You could get the DM600 S3 which is a smaller version of the 601 for rears instead of the lm1's, I think they are cheaper and would keep all your system looking the same, if thats what you want that is.

10. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Matt:

B&W is a very large speaker manufacturer, which products at virtually every price range. They are generally well regarded, and most people who hear them are very taken with them.

I am one of a small minority that doesn't like their style of presentation, but I still recommend them to friends.

Larry

11. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Larry,

Can I ask you what you like then? I am also considering some def techs. What are your feelings on the def techs?

12. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

Generally, B&W are lively sounding speakers. This is why many people like them for the excitement factor they bring especially to HT. They are also good at all types of music, but some music lovers find them a bit bright for their tastes. So expect to hear opinions from both camps - B&W fans and those who don't like them.
    Here's my opinion about the B&W 600 series...
    They let you hear details in your music and movies that many competing brands won't deliver. They have one of the cleanest sounding treble and among the sweetest midrange within their price class. For a bookshelf speaker, bass shouldn't be much of an issue, but anyways, the 601 does NOT try to go deep in the bass but this is because its designers apparently chose tunefulness over BOOMbastic fireworks if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have three B&W 602s in my system for the front soundfield and two 601S2s for the rear and I really like them a lot. They are a little bright, but for the price they are excellent speakers. I would recommend them without hesitation. If you can, try to go with three identical speakers in the front.

14. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I have this setup (my 602's are S2) for my 5.1 HT along with a B&W ASW 300 sub (the LM1's are my rear surrounds). I use the Rotel RSX 972 receiver.
    All I have to say is that the sound gets better every day,
    perhaps that's due to the 'long break in period' mentioned earlier in this thread. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Matt:

16. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I'm a Def Tech owner. They aren't terrible for music, but I've heard better. But then I'm using their Procinema 100 setup, so the bigger speakers may sound a lot better. I use mine 90% for movies and games and maybe 10% on music, if that much, so I may not be the best judge. A friend of mine owns B&W speakers (can't remember the model number, but they were bookshelves). He had them paired with a Denon receiver, and my God ... music was warm and rich. Very full sounding. But then he got a Marantz receiver, and I no longer got that warm a fuzzy feeling listening to music at his house. But I was still very impressed with the speakers. They sound different from my Def Techs, so much so my next upgrade will either be B&W speakers or Monitor Audio Golds ...

Freddy C.

17. Taka

Taka Agent

I strongly disagree w/ Larry's characterization of B&Ws.

I own a pair of Matrix 803SII and even powered by my modest Rotel integrated amp, they are wonderful. The amp makes the speakers rather bright and a bit of sibilance is there, but the imaging and soundstage is there. I need proper amplification to really make these speakers work well- they need about 200W/channel to be happy, otherwise the bass is a bit too boomy.

Anyway, having heard my same speakers on several different setups, they are some of the best speakers under $3k that I've listened to-

VAC 60W pre/power setup driven by Pioneer Elite PD-65

Bryston BP-25 and 4BST pre/power driven by Rotel CD (don't remember model)

AR transistor pre/power setup (don't remember model) driven by CAL Alpha/Delta CD.

Bryston 0.5 pre with Rotel 200W power driven by Rotel CD

All of the above were wonderful, the Rotel 200W (RB-991?) being the least satisfying of the bunch.

Recently, I heard a full 600 series system- 604 mains, LCR60 center, 601 rear w/ ASW600 sub- the sub is awesome, the entire setup is quite impressive. However, I haven't auditioned home theater setups extensively, so I cannot comment on how it compares to other setups.

For a stereo setup, I'll put my Matrixes against nearly anything that DefTech makes.

Taka

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have owned a B&W 600 Series setup for over three years now (see the link in my signature for details). I really love the sound compared with the other speakers I auditioned at the time -- Klipsch, Energy and Boston Acoustics. B&W makes a high quality product, but you should always listen to a few other brands, since speaker preferences do vary from person to person.

19. Ricky_G

Ricky_G Auditioning

B&Ws are great. My friends and I have owned them for years. The new S3 models are great and a bargain in my opinion. My suggestion would be to go for the 602 if you thinking about the 601. But you can't go wrong if you choose any model in that line.

RG

20. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator

B&W is good, but their low end isn't all that, IMO. I heard the 303's, and my $200 multimedia speakers beat them...
    B&W tends to be beaten quite handily by internet-direct speaker companies, and at a lower price point, too! B&W is the "big dog" pretty much, the big bully. They make good stuff...in their higher end lineups (802, etc. etc.). B&W is good, but you have to pay a lot to get a lot, and, in their lower end stuff, you can generally beat it quite easily for the price.
    The entire 60# lineup, for example, is probably handily beaten by these new Rockets.. I dont know for sure, that's a guess, seeing as how the predecessor line to those rockets supposedly beat most of the 600 line, and stood up quite well to the lower end of the 800 line quite well.....
    Why not check it out?
    http://www.rocketloudspeakers.com/
    Disclaimer: My Information Is Hearsay, except for the thing with my $200 multimedia speakers beating the B&W DM303's (and the 303's were hooked up to some serious amplification and sources, at the time... they had an okay sound, but were quite bright, and didn't have the depth of soundstage that my $200 multimedia speakers have).
    Here's where I got some of my information, btw...
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=151773