What's new

Anybody own a Millenum DTS decoder? (1 Viewer)

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
Is this thing any good?
Is there ANY bass management?
I have a DD system and wanted to cheaply add DTS.
------------------
Conroy

Craig W

Second Unit
I have one but the bass management leaves a lot to be desired.
There is no large/small setting for any sets of speakers. The only option as far as bass management allows you to downmix the LFE to the mains if you don't have a sub. I was doing that up until a couple of weeks ago. I felt that I was losing approximately 3dB to 5dB of the LFE signal when mixing down.
Overall though I am happy with it. I thought of buying an Outlaw ICBM to take care of the bass management with this setup but I think in the long run I will save for now and upgrade to a new receiver or go the separate route.
If you are looking for a cheaper option for dts than the new receiver route the deal on the silver Milly is still $200 if they have any left. I've had it for over a year and when I ordered I think they said under were 200 left.
[Edited last by Craig W on September 26, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The lack of real bass management is really the only negative point about the Milly.
I've had one for over three years. The BM issue doesn't bother me because I prefer the sound of my system 'large' anyway.

derek

Second Unit
Look into the Technics ac500 dd/dts decoder. It has flexible bass management and can be had probably for around

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
* Yes it is very good.
* The bass management is minimal - you can only send all LFE to the mains. No other bass management is available.
* If you have large mains or some other way to do bass management on a 5.1 signal it is a great way to add DTS to your system. Some receivers, but very few, can do bass management on 5.1 signals.
I am waiting on an ICBM to complete the Millenium picture.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, this is the piece of machinery which finally got me into the DTS arena at long last!!!!!!!! :)
Although there are output trims for the surround, center and LFE channels, there is nothing for the front-end stereo adjustments and nothing with which to set speaker size settings with. I believe the specs were asking for five full-range speakers along with an optional subwoofer. To this end, I was instantly enjoying DTS in my theater as a result of the Millennium, which, to me, does an expert job on DTS playback.
Actually, that was indeed an original main intent of the Millennium, Conroy, to provide DTS HT playback at more of an affordable price ($699 was the original MRSP price, lower when compared to some other early DTS processors which provided more options yet were more expensive.)
I worried initially about its continued feasability in my system due to the fact that I finally replaced my old large Sansui floor speaker (which finally played out on me) I had been using for my center channel speaker with a smaller center channel speaker. When I played my GoldenEye DTS laserdisc after upgrading my speaker configuration, I noticed the center was no longer able to handle the heavy load as it once did.
So, as an homage payer of sorts to recent events which touched out nation, I watched Daylight this past weekend (DTS LD). And as soon as I began to get more of the same shortcomings in the center, I decided to pull out an old passive bass module I had mistakenly picked up back in early 2000 but kept around and decided to loop the center channel speaker wire through the module and on into the center channel speaker itself.
When I resumed DTS LD playback on Daylight, I was all the way there!!!!! :) The bass module not only got the job done for me...but it also picked up the rest of the bass in harmonious unision here in my HT. I was feeling the bass deep and hard!!!!!! :) Thus, hence, confidence has been restored in and with my Millennium 2.4.6. DTS Decoder!!!! :)
Of course, its days in my main HT system are doubltessly numbered due to the pending arrival of the Onkyo 797 into my system. But until it does come, I shall continue to enjoy and thrive in the sound and fury of DTS LD's and DVD's!!! :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
ADDENDUM!!!!!!!!!!!
What I had meant to say at the end of my previous post was that I would continue to enjoy the sound and fury of my DTS LD's and DVD's (as well as the few DTS CD's I do own) as processed by the Millennium until then!!!!!! :)
That's all!!!!! :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks