Anybody own a Kegerator?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JoelC, Aug 25, 2003.

1. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

How do you like them, and how long does a keg last with CO2? Thinking about getting one for the theater/rec room. Just want to make sure I can drink it and it won't go bad [​IMG]

2. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I don't own one, but I understand that the keg is good for about 6 weeks. I think that a typical keg (a half keg) holds about 7 cases of beer. Yo can also buy quarter kegs, or 3.5 cases, or 84 beers?

That comes out to 2 beers per night, but every night. That seems like a lot to me. If you had a party one time in the six-week period or frequent guests that like beer, you should probably be able to finish it off no problem. It may even make sense to get it, since even if you throw a third away, you will probably still be saving money, and the draft beer will taste better since it doesn't have as many preservatives as bottled beer.

3. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I always though a tapped Keg only lasted about 7 days. I am probably wrong though.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

as long as you are using CO2 and not air (like a hand pump) the keg will last months. i've been using an old fridge with a CO2 tank for beer for years.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no keg experience, but I used to have a soda fountain and know a bit about the CO2 stuff..

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I had a kegerator in College and loved it. [​IMG] When I moved to FL I gave it to my brother. It has been about ten years, but here is what I remember:

A few things to know:

1) Keg beer does not last nearly as long as canned beer. CO2 will keep it fresh (if you keep the pressure right) for about six weeks. If you don't drink that much beer then what do you need a kegerator for?

2) A CO2 tank lasted about 4 beers as I recall. It was fairly cheap to recharge. ($5-10 as I remember)

3) The toughest part was keeping the pressure just right. Too much and you get foam - too little and the beer goes flat.

4) The best place to buy the hardware (except the fridge, keg and CO2 tank) is a beer distributor. Or at least it was before EBAY. I got my setup for $25 from a disgruntled employee who got me before I reached the desk. Funny part is that I offered him $50 and he came back with $25. Union employees! sigh. [​IMG]

5) My fridge was a very old beater from a second hand store. It worked great. I cut a hole in the front to run the tap through. I kept many different colored felt markers nearby and asked all my friends to get smashed and then write whatever they wanted on it - no profanity allowed. It was a real fun read after several years.

A note of caution - if you plan to put it in the garage, and you have a swimming pool - make sure you ground it and/or place it on a rubber insulated mat wide enough to stand on while near the fridge. Don't ask me how I know this.... [​IMG]

7. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

Do you have to change the amount of CO2 daily....weekly or what to maintain freshness?

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My brother has one (or two, depending on how you look at it). Both kegs are in one fridge which is in the garage. The 2 taps go through his garage wall into his kitchen. He has 2 2.5 gallon kegs in the one fridge. Not sure of the details on how it's set up. I thought about doing it, but I don't think I'd like having that much of one beer on tap, I like varity.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

well, I guess it would depend on the SIZE of the beers!
    [​IMG]

ya, that was my bad. The CO2 lasted around 4 kegs. i think.

Once you connect the CO2 ther is no need to fiddle with it, except when you are setting the PSI. I think somewhere around 35 is idea, but best to check with your keg provider. I really am struggleing to remember.

If you don't think you can polish off at least a pony-keg each month, then you should just get a small fridge and stock it with bottles.

11. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I grew up with a Kegerator [​IMG] It was always a fight with my brothers and sister as who got to go down to the garage and get dad a beer.

Big Frosty Mug full of beer, and my head tilted under the tap.... ahhh the memories!!! [​IMG]

He stoped getting kegs when we hit high school.... hmmmm I wonder why.... [​IMG]

12. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

CO2 used to cost me $1 to fill the tank. then it became a "greenhouse gas" and the price went up to $12 per.[​IMG]

13. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Methane is a greenhouse gas also, do I need a license to fart?