Anybody out there own a Volvo S60?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickM, Feb 10, 2002.

1. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I'm looking at getting a new car and have basically narrowed it down to the Volvo S60 AWD with the Dynamic Stability Tracking Control and the 17" Thor wheels. Super safe vehicle with a very nice interior and driving dynamics. Its not super fast nor does it handle like its on rails but its a nice combination of both.

I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts from those who own an S60.

Patrick

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I am an 850 owner but I have driven the s80, s60 and v70 and I am also kind of looking to buy in the same class. I'd say the s60 is a great car. The one I drove wasn't AWD, but it was a very smooth ride, not too heavy on the whole sporty side of the sports sedan type.

As I understand it, other cars in the same class are geared more towards the sporty side (BMW 3 series and to a lesser extent, Mercedes C Class).

All in all, an excellent car imho. I maintain Volvos are the most comfortable car. I love my 850 although quite expensive to repair as it gets older and needs repairs. That is something you wont have to worry about for some time, but when the time comes, your wallet will feel it. I dunno, maybe its different in Canada.

For my tastes or wants, the s60 was a little small in the back seat, that would be my only knock but for some people, that is not a big problem.

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Alex, I'd agree about the back seat. Its a little short on leg room but the head room, hip and shoulder room are all pretty good. Its definitely not a rocket like a BMW 3 series or even an Audi A4 but it is very nice driving vehicle with a hell of a lot of safety features.

The dealership I'm dealing with actually gives you two years of regular service for free. Pretty sweet.

Patrick

4. andrew markworthy

Patrick, you can't complain about leg room in a Volvo and then talk about BMWs in the same post! I'm 6ft 9 - I can fit in all but the S40 Volvo easily, but I can't fit in the largest BMW.

Anyway, back on topic. I've got an 850 T5 which is brilliant and I wouldn't part with it. I've driven the S60 and S80. The S60 is nice. Personally, I'd go for the T5 (or is it a T6?) model. Trust me, you will then have enough grunt under the hood to deal with anything other than the very fastest of BMWS et al (and at a fraction of the price and with more space). The S80, incidentally, is a rather different car altogether. My dad has one and I must admit it's a very relaxing car to drive and has the nicest interior I've seen (I prefer it to the Merc's) but it doesn't have the 'teeth' of some of the other models.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Take a look at reliability reports in consumer reports and elsewhere. In the last few years Volvo, previously famous for excellent reliability, has taken a plunge. The S40 is known to be a real lemon. Perhaps the S60 is not? I don't know. Volvos are really good cars but I personally can't stand them. From Sweeden I prefer Saabs.

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think the BMW 3-Series is a better value overall than any of the latest Volvos. I picked up a loaded '01 330i for $38k about 8 months ago. My parents owned three Volvos but I don't think their safety advantages are so superior to other vehicles anymore.

7. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I would have to agree with almost all comments posted already. The volvos tend to have lotsa room (Saabs too - I guess them swedes are big). I hear the T5 is a worthy investment as well. But as you do your research, be aware that there are two levels of turbo charger. There is a turbo charged intercooler and then you have the T5. Obivously there are many web resources...I like to start out at carprice.com and go from there. You should see the three different models under the s60.
    As for the free maintenance, that is something you will find on nearly all competing cars in that class. The Mercedes has it, the BMW has it too I think and so it is not surprising that Volvo has it too, I'd bet Audio is right there as well.
    Also, I think the other car makers have risen to meet Volvo in the safety category in recent years. It used to be Volvo was far and away the leader in safety technology, but I think you will find the other cars in the category have nearly all the same or more safety features.
    From what I have read, the BMW 3 series is a car enthusiast's car: tighter turning, you feel the road, closer connection with the road - these are all the types of comments I have read. Volvo S60 is not really designed to be like that, IMHO. So you have to drive them and decide which is the ride and feel that suits you (obvisouly) [​IMG]
    Review of s60

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Alex, thanks for the link to the review. I hadn't read that one yet. I've scoured the internet for information on the S60 and it appears to be a good fit for me. Its not as sporty as a 3-Series or even an A4 but fast enough for me.

I looked at the 330xi but its almost $10,000 CAD more than the comparably equiped S60 AWD. So it had to be ruled out.

I like the T5 version as well and if they had the T5 engine with AWD then I'd get it. From what I hear we'll see the R designation brought back for Volvo's and we will see a S60R which is the T5 with AWD and more.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Patrick

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

If you want 4WD in a car, then Audi is really the only way to go. The 330Xi destroys the sporty feel of the 3-Series. It's suspension is cushier and the added height makes the car "odd looking."

Audi, so far, is the only car manufacturer who has combined 4WD (Quattro) with a sporty feel. I just don't like the way that the A4 looks... so a 330i and good snow tires for me!

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Subaru does a hell of a good job with AWD also. I know that Subarus get a lot of respect from the Audi faithful.

11. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

Let's see, as the only actual S60 owner to actually comment so far, I say you can't beat it value-wise against the BMW or Audi and it blows away both in the styling department, even with the Audi S4 redesign. As for reliability, I've had mine for about a year and have zero problems. none whatsoever. The AWD wasn't available last year (I have the 2.4T) but that in conjunction w/ a T5 engine it should be awesome. Waaaaay more power than you'll ever need.

Also, virtually every review/road test I've seen does side by side comparisons between the BMW 330 and Mercedes C320 and the S60 2.4T (some even test an automatic !). Predictably, the S60 places 3rd in these tests but that's not the competing car of those. If they had tested a manual T5, the results probably would haev been different.

Check out volvospy.com for more info. Also check out the overseas delivery program -- get thousands off + a free trip to Sweden.

12. andrew markworthy

Buy a BMW by all means, but don't expect anyone else to like you.

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. If you drive like an idiot, people will hate you. If you drive like an idiot in a BMW, people will hate you. If you drive in a courteous manner, people will have no qualms.

There are so many BMWs on the road these days with prices that aren't that much different from high-end domestic cars that the BMW=greedy yuppie mentality is highly dated.

That being said, I'm off to spray mud on pedestrians on my way to Wall Street...

14. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The Germans make far superior cars to the Swedes. Look at any automotive magazine's comparison test between European sedans, and BMW will always be first, with Mercedes and Audi alternating between second and third, and Volvo will be fourth with Saab last.

Both the Mercedes and the BMW are rear drive which is a much better (and more expensive) way to go than front drive. Although the Volvo is technically all wheel drive, it is front drive based, and, therefore, performance suffers. Audi's all wheel drive is also front drive based, but it's implemented far better than on the Volvo.

Regarding power, the Volvo's and Saabs are fast, but they get their power from turbocharing a very small engine, which is not the best way to go (there's no substitute for cubic inches and multiple cylinders). Also, with lots of power in a front drive car, torque steer can be murder.

Regarding safey, I would argue that both BMW and Mercedes are safer than Volvos and that Audi is on par with the Swedish manufacturer.

Ford and GM, who own Volvo and Saab respectively, have cut corners on the Swedish cars significantly in recent years, and this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

When you look at the Volvos v. the BMW 3-series and 5-series, the Audi A4 and A6, and (to a lesser extent, because they are getting pricy because of their marque) the Mercedes C and E class, the Volvo is a very poor value. Of course this is looking at it from an enthusiast's point of view. If you just want a nice, safe car and don't care about peformance, then the Volvo isn't a bad way to go.

15. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I recently saw a comparison between the Volvo and the Audi A4 AWD.
    The reviewers thought the Audi beat the volvo in every aspect hands down.
    They drove it everywhere and in rain and snow. Much more power and better control was something they pointed out.

16. andrew markworthy

Ask yourself this - are you going to spend your time in the car racing around test tracks, speeding along the autobahn at 130 mph, or just driving it to and from work and using it for vacations? What I'm trying to say is that stuck in traffic, one car is just like another, and what matters is what the interior of the car is like. Sorry, Merc and BMW fans, but Volvos win hands down in this department (okay the exception is the Merc S class, but we're not in that league).

17. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

"The S40 is known to be a real lemon."

Philipp, do you know off the top of your head what they are plagued with? My friend just got one and a month after it just died - some of the electronics needed to be replaced. How terrible!

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Look it up in Consumer Reports and elsewhere. The S40 is notorious.

19. andrew markworthy

Philip, the new Volvos come in a variety of options, and some of them are very nice (old Volvos, I grant you, are pretty dull, if functional). Actually, my fave interior is the VW Golf at night - the controls are an amazing shade of blue.

20. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I have had my 2001 T5 since October '01. Prior to purchasing it, I cross shopped all of the usual suspects: 330i, A4, TL, Lincoln LS. All of the cars in this range require that a buyer make some type of compromise. Power vs handling vs space.

I am no brand bigot and I could care less about what people think of what I drive so I could have been happy with any of these cars. If you can get a good price for it like I did, ~$2500 under invoice, it is a good bargain. Plus the seats are great.

All of my driving is highway and city traffic so I was looking for something with good crusing manners and acceleration. Of course it doesn't handle nearly as well as the 3 series or LS, but there aren't any twisty turns on the NJ Turnpike...