What's new

Anybody Order from DVD Planet? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Noticed that they have good prices/discounts. How are they on shipping and customer service? Do they send stuff immediately when you order (or when a pre-order is released), or is there a lag where you lose some days?
Thanks.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have had nothing less than excellent service from them. Their shipping speed is faster than most, in my experience.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have had excellent service from them. I have had no problems reaching them on the phone and talking to a real CS rep. The shipping is a little slower for me since their only warehouse is in California.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just chiming in here - I've used them several times lately and have had great service and no problems. A good place to go to get Criterions that have just gone OOP (just snagged Charade from them).
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Great service, great prices ... but the last two BIG orders I've placed with them (>$200 each) took a full week or more to arrive.
Mid-year, all my Friday pre-orders arrived the following Monday or Tuesday. In my experience, their shipping time has gone into the toilet.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I only shop at DVDplanet. They have great prices and their customer service is AWESOME! Also, if you pre-order movies, you'll typically get them... So anyway, I highly recommend using them. A customer service story: I order the COSMOS series DVD and the box set was missing the eighth disc. Obviously not their fault, but as soon as I wrote them an email stating what happened, they sent me the eigth disc in the mail ASAP. They could have made me send in the box set and so they could exchange it, but instead they just sent me the missing disc. Nothing to it. Did I mention that I only shop there (online anyway)?
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with their service, and have used them a lot in the past, but they aren't such a great deal anymore. They raised their prices substantially earlier this year, but more than that they raised their shipping in three ways. Not only did they start charging more, they also went from a flat rate to charging per dvd. Then they had the gall to start counting the number of discs. So Monty Python & the Holy Grail counts as two titles for shipping purposes.
I still look at them sometimes, but since I usually buy 4 dvds at a time, Laser's Edge (which still has a flat shipping rate) is always cheaper. You should check them out too.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Don't forget you get an additional 5% off if you order from DVD Planet through EBATES...
I haven't. All the Disney Treasure tins are going for $23 a pop... Not bad, and with a 5% rebate you're getting a dollar back on each one, which pays for shipping.
Makes me wanna pop on my coonskin hat, drop my trousers, and sing "Davy Crockett"!
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Brad_W

Screenwriter
quote: Makes me wanna pop on my coonskin hat, drop my trousers, and sing "Davy Crockett"![/quote]
Don't do that in the Disney Store because they'll put you in jail faster than you can say, "bibity bobity boo."
:)
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 25, 2001 at 05:27 PM]

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Matt. I used them for a while, but have stopped for the following reasons:
1) They frequently ship preorders that should all be together in separate boxes and I end up paying $2.50 per DVD instead of $2.50 + .50 for each additional title.
2) Preorders were arriving on Sat or Mon, but the last few times arrived on Wed or Thur after the release date.
3) My local Fry's is now less expensive, even with tax. For example Godfather at Fry's was 64.99 while DVD Planet preorder price was 69.99. They charged about $4.00 for shipping and it didn't arrive until Thursday.
------------------
Andrew in Austin

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have had good success, their preorders typically arrive on time, and their customer service is first rate. However as far as I know, they don't have a ship all together option, which causes problems if they don't receive something on time. This has happened repeatedly for me lately. I only order from them if I can get multiple items at once because of the costs involved now. Individual stuff is almost always cheaper at B&Ms. Its sad, but if they aren't going to help us save money on shipping, they're going to lose customers.
Whoa! I just realized that they are indeed charging per disc, not per case. I hadn't picked up on that yet. Considering how many movies seemed to be coming with two discs now, that really sucks.
[Edited last by Keith Mickunas on October 25, 2001 at 09:14 PM]

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Unlike the other people who replied, I've had bad experiences with dvdplanet.
I've been unable to get them on the phone when I had a problem with an order or two and the turnaround time on e-mail responses took a long time. When ordering, I specified the floor of the building I was working at in the address; the online "check my order" and the mailing label did not reflect the second address line that contained this information.
After finally getting through to their customer service, I discovered that the title I had ordered (listed as "Low Stock") had not shipped. It was on backorder and remained on backorder for three weeks. I was never notified of this. I also was unable to check the status of the shipment online. The last time I checked, I could only see that I had placed an order with them, not where it was in the queue (had it shipped? was it waiting on one item? what?).
I doubt I'll order from there again.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed
Visit Planet Earth (and other tourist traps), my daily webcomic!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, they don't hold orders for one item, they ship whatever they got, unfortunately at your expense. Also, you can now see whether or not something is in stock, but no info is provided on when they expect it. Ken Crane's web site does not provide that information (they're the same for those that don't know).
I'm really surprised by your issues with customer service. Perhaps you hit them at bad times, like when they recently moved. Personnally I've contacted them a few times, and always had quick responses. Their phones are answered promptly, and I'm amazed at the speed at which they reply to e-mails. Just last night I had two answered within 30 minutes each. This has been typical of my other contacts with them.
All that being said, I have decided to take my business elsewhere. This is mainly do to their shipping policy. For those that want to pre-order from them, I suggest waiting until the Thursday or Friday before the item comes out. They update the availability before the release date. This way you can plan your orders based on what's in, and hopefully prevent yourself from incurring high shipping charges. IMHO, if you are only buying one or two new DVDs in a particular week, you are better off going to a B&M than DVDPlanet.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
When I did order from DVD Planet, it was always a phone order, and I had them check that everything was in stock, else I cancelled the order. It's bad enough to have to pay their shipping rates as it is, without having to pay for separate shipping. Yikes.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks