What's new

Anybody live around Lake Champlain (NY/VT)? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm planning a 4/5 day bike tour around the lake, from Whitehall all the way to Chambly, Quebec on the NY side and then back to Whitehall south through Burlington, VT on the VT side (duh!). I'm kind of looking at mid-may timeperiod. I have mapped out the northbound side on Day 1 and 2, going from Whitehall to Essex, NY and then from Essex, NY to St. Jean Sur-Richelieu (Quebec) for Night 2. I haven't yet planned out day 3 and 4 (and possibly a 5) yet but was wondering if anybody knows enough of the weather around Mid may, if it's fairly similar to NYC area or not.
day 1 70 miles from Whitehall to Essex (including the 3 hours drive time from my home to Whitehall)
day 2 100 miles from Essex to Richelieu.
If you see me on my bike, don't forget to wave! :)
Jay

MichaelG

Second Unit
Jay, I grew up in the Burlington, VT area (Williston, VT). I moved from there about 9 years ago. May weather wasn't very consistent from what I recall. I do remember the temp getting up to about 90 at least every other year towards the end of the month, but in gereral expect high 60's to low 70's. It should be fairly wet too. I don't think NYC get's anything similar weather-wise because nearly all of Burlington's weather comes off the lake.

I would expect mild tempuratures, possibly some light rain, but generally good weather for biking.

Mike

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Cool, thanks. all the time I've been around the ADKs (NY side) it's been mostly late summer to avoid the black flies so spring I spend biking around NY/NJ border area.

Did you guys have alot of lake effect snow? I know Syracuse does get alot from the Great Lakes...

Day 1: Whitehall, NY -> Essex, NY

Day 2: Essex, NY ->St. Jean-Sur-Richelieu (Quebec)

Day 3: St. Jean-Sur-Richelieu->Chambly->South Hero, VT

Day 4: South Hero, VT ->Vergennes, VT

Day 5: Vergennes,VT ->Whitehall,NY

South Hero, VT looks like a great place, it's on the Grand Isle and has lots of campsites and B&B's but since I'm not bringing any camping gear, I'm looking at cheap Inns and B&Bs..

Jay

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I know Syracuse does get alot from the Great Lakes...
Normally true, but not this year Jay... Provided we don't get a big late season storm (which certainly could happen), this will go down as the least snowiest winter in Syracuse since they've been keeping the books (only like 40 inches of snow this whole year). By comparison, last year we had almost 200 inches.
I've been trying to figure out if I unwittingly moved to Florida since it has been so nice! What a year to buy my first ski-pass :angry:

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Jay -
Its been said already, but you can expect the weather to be totally unpredictable. The Champlain valley is always different from the rest of the state also. So be prepared for temps between 40 and 90. If you get cold, stop off at my place in Colchester. I always want to show off the HT. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks