1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody like "The Smiths?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian_M, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to "The Queen is Dead" and "Hatful of Hollows" and am starting to listen to the singles album. Its really an either love or hate it type of music. It is also some of the only 80s music I can stomach. Anyone else like them?
    Seb
    ------------------
    In Dwimordene, in Lorien
    Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
    Few mortal eyes have seen the light
    That lies there ever, long and bright.
    Galadriel! Galadriel!
    Clear is the water of your well;
    White is the star in your white hand;
    Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
    In Dwimordene, in Lorien
    More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I haven't listened to them much in recent years, but I do like them. Morrissey's melancholy naval-gazing would be unbearable if it wasn't tempered with a sense of humor and wit. Johnny Marr wrote some nice melodies.
    Hatful of Hollow, with its Peel Sessions feel, is one of my faves . Louder than Bombs is another favorite that contains many of their best compositions. I find the songs on this one to be particularly clever and nicely arranged. It's a good album to listen to while falling asleep -- I mean that in a good sense!

3. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

The only one I ever really listened to was "Meat is Murder", which was very well done. I must admit that if the original US vinyl version didn't have (an uncredited) "How Soon is Now", I probably wouldn't have bothered. I always found the album kind of depressing, but that may be my state of mind more than the bands. Then again, maybe not.
    ------------------

4. andrew markworthy

I hate the Smiths and Morrisey with a passion you wouldn't believe. Every song sounds the same, and Morrisey's lyrics of self-pity are only matched by those of self-admiration. To top it off you had Morrisy's ghastly posturings on stage. Somehow pop music critics(never the sharpest minds, let's face it) conned themselves into thinking they were some kind of geniuses, and enough sheep followed their lead to make them into minor stars. Even a couple of seconds of the Smith's 'music' is enough to make me envy the deaf.
    Oh dear, I *am* in a bad mood this morning, aren't I?

5. Andy Kellman

Andy Kellman Extra

I happen to love the Smiths and I can understand completely why someone would hate them. They're definitely not for everyone. I'll admit I wouldn't like them so much if they had a guitar player with half the talent of Johnny Marr.

6. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

7. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, they are really a love or hate them group. My friends either love them to death or bitterly hate them. Morrisey's voice isn't for everyone - I can understand why you would think all the songs sound the same Andrew - it is very distinctive.
    Seb
    ------------------
    In Dwimordene, in Lorien
    Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
    Few mortal eyes have seen the light
    That lies there ever, long and bright.
    Galadriel! Galadriel!
    Clear is the water of your well;
    White is the star in your white hand;
    Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
    In Dwimordene, in Lorien
    More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

8. andrew markworthy

Boy, I really was in a foul mood this morning (my first day back at the office for a month - I most of my vacation in one block)!
    I must just add that I don't hate people who like the Smiths! It's like liking Brussel sprouts or liver and onions - it seems to be utterly independent of personality.

9. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

While one tends to think of Morrissey and his death, doom, oh-let's-just-hold-hands-and-jump-into-the-Thames lyrics when recalling the music of the Smiths, it's really the wonderful melodies of Johnny Marr that have kept their albums going in my CD player. Just look at the piffle Morrissey's produced since the Smiths broke up -- without Marr's music (and guitar!) backing him up, Morrissey's lyrics become that much more obviously self-indulgent drivel.
    If he were really that depressed all the time, he'd have offed himself three times over by now.... [​IMG]
    That said, I think their self-titled album and The Queen Is Dead are two classics of '80s pop.
    ------------------
    Mark K. Lee
    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
    - Tom Lehrer

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

11. Steve Conrad

Steve Conrad Agent

Being that Morrissey is my idol i'll have to chime in here.
    I agree with whomever would say its a love or HATE feeling with Moz's music. But what i do NOT agree with is the "fans" that have said when Johnny Marr split, it didnt leave Mr. Morrissey with a leg to stand on.
    Morrissey's best works are BY FAR realized when he went solo and joined up with the likes of Boz Boorer and Alain White. (sp)
    "Viva Hate", and "Bona Drag" are two of my favorite albums of all time, however that isn't saying much without an understanding of my tastes, which range from Stevie Ray Vaughn to the Ink Spots, then the Misfits to the band that I'm listening to right now, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    I had the privlage to see Morrissey a couple years back,
    and was fortunate to catch his jacket along with my dear friend mark (who actually took it home that night, and then promptly moved to Seattle.)
    Again, i REALLY don't mean to toot my own horn here, but i've seen hundreds of live performances from just as many bands and singers, and Morrissey is without a doubt number FREAKING ONE. hahahaha seriously.
    Seeing him live would be hypnotic even for a NON-fan.(and WAS for my wife)- who became a fan the second he waltzed on stage.
    The crowd has the most engery i've ever experienced surrounded by any group of people. Fans CRAP themselves when he comes on, and the floor becomes one big writhing mosh pit, very similar to a Slayer show, only much more violent when he throws articles of clothing, flowers etc etc into the crowd.
    well, i'm done now, thanks for reading if you did.
    g'night curtis lowe.
    -s

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I am an unapologetic Smith's fan and even saw them in concert at the Fox theater in Detroit on the Queen is Dead US tour. It was between my senior year in high school and my freshman year in college in the summer of '86, IIRC. Morissey had a knack for finding the inherent humor in melancholy & depression that the truly morose or depressed usually can't see for themselves (usually to their detriment, tragically). Johnny Marr was simply the most interesting guitarist of his time. My three favorite bands at the time were The Replacements (all hail the mighty 'Mats!), R.E.M., and The Smiths. I saw all three in concert in a 6 month period during the best concert going year of my life!
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I too saw the Smiths on the "Queen is Dead" tour at the Greek Theater (SF Bay area). I still remember all the little girls throwing roses at the Moz and thinking to my self "boy, are they clueless". It really threw me for a loop and how many screaming little girls there was at the show. I felt like I was watching the Monkeys.
    BTW when I was living in the North of England back in the early 90s, I got lost driving around Manchester. That's when I saw the sign for Strangeways Mental Hospital.
    That's when I finally understood the title , Stangeways here I come.
    I think most americans are lost on that one
    Heavens knows I was looking for a job and I found a Job
    Heaven Knows I am miserable now
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

14. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

While I'm still unconvinced of (most of) the virtues of Morrissey as a solo artist, I will grant you that some of his lyrics penned while with the Smiths were simply brilliant!! Only Morrissey could pull off a song titled, "Girlfriend In A Coma"! [​IMG] And "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" and "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" are two of the most touching songs I know (though in totally different ways....). I just think that many of his lyrics lose something when they're not backed up by Johnny Marr and that amazing guitar of his.
    ------------------
    Mark K. Lee
    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
    - Tom Lehrer

15. andrew markworthy

To people living in Manchester or Salford, 'Strangeways' more often means Strangeways Prison, the residence of most local criminals when 'resting' from their profession. I lived there for seven years (Manchester, that is, not Strangeways), so I'm reasonably confident on this one. Morrisey may have chosen to refer to the mental hospital instead, of course.
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on September 05, 2001 at 02:43 AM]

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Andrew
    Thanks for the info. You are probably right. I was just some lost expat, living in the Lakes district, just bored out of his mind driving around the Greater Manchester (Mad Chester back then) Area.
    Saw a lot of good shows at the Broadwalk ...Replacements, Hole, Daisy Chainsaw, Pavement.....not bands you normally see in a tiny Dive.
    TA
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

17. andrew markworthy

Grant, I think you'll find Manchester has changed somewhat since the last time you were there! I find myself revisiting the place every couple of years and it's gradually losing its character, I feel. This may just be a result of growing older and more jaded, though.
    My biggest musical memory of Manchester is my regular visits to Sifters record store and nearly always seeing a teenager in there who years later turned out to be Noel Gallagher of Oasis.

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Andrew, that's too bad. Where was Sifters? There was a large multistoried building close to City Centre and that humongous mall that had mainly record,cd and small antique stores. Was it in there? We ended up there alot because there was a bar owned by Factory records which served iced Absolute Vodka & Anchor Steam Beer.
    Anyways I will always thank Manchester for keeping me (semi) sane because I was going crazy existing in Barrow-In -Furness...What a God-awful place.
    I used to piss of native by telling them if I ever won the Lottery, I'd use up every pence buying Barrow and personally Bulldozing the town.
    They knew I wasn't joking.
    Boy did we get off the Smiths!!!!

19. andrew markworthy

Grant, holy S*** you weren't in Barrow were you? I lived there for 18 years! Yes, it is a total dump, and the main propellant behind my working hard at school (anything to get away from there). To be honest, a lot of locals hate the place as well. I presume your reason for being there was the local shipyard?
    For anyone wondering what I'm talking about (which I guess will be all of you except Grant), Barrow-in-Furness is a town in the North West of England on the fringe of the Lake District. The Lake District is eye-wateringly beautiful (especially if you avoid the tourist haunts) but Barrow is a depressing town. To understand how depressing, all you need to know is one front-page headline from the local daily newspaper: 'new store will have escalator'.
    Grant, in answer to your question about Sifters (which is name-checked in one of Oasis's songs), it's still going to the best of my knowledge and is on the southern fringe of the city. The big collection of stores you refer to is part of the Arndale Centre, which isn't particularly liked by locals as they knocked down a lot of old Manchester to build it. It got pretty badly knocked about a couple of years ago when the IRA set off a huge bomb there. The Factory Records club was called The Hacienda, and closed some time ago.