Anybody like AMC's "Much More Movie"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I watched Deer Hunter last night and saw a brilliant, amazing movie. One of the key factors to my enjoyment was text that ran under the movie giving trivia, etc. The movie was also shown in 2.35:1

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I saw it and found it pretty damned enjoyable. Much more tolerable than that obnoxious pop-up video on MTV or Nick-at-Nite where they show bubbles all over the screen. Was this the first film that got the treatment? I'd like to see them do it with several others. Also reminded me that I'd love to see a Deer Hunter S.E. DVD.
    One question I had from the information provided during the movie. During the Russian roulette scene, De Niro suggested increasing the tension by putting a live round in the gun. Cimino apparently agreed though was quoted as saying, "We had to check that thing 5,000 times." What the hell was he talking about? Certainly they didn't put a live bullet in the gun. That would have been insane. [​IMG]

3. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I think when he meant "Check the gun 5000 times" that they would put a live round in and preload the gun to MAKE DAMN SURE that the live round was not used.(ie. just put a live round in the gun even though it was known that the blank would automatically be shot).

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have to tip my hat to AMC for this technique. Not only do you get info about the film, but it also helps people get used to the concept of OAR.

I don't know of any others, but I know they have also done The Omen. Hopefully more are to follow.

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I believe they really put a live round in without a random spin. Just a bullet in there to add to the fear even though everyone was certain that it was nowhere near the chamber. Consider how intense it sounds even to us, knowing that it would be perfectly safe to have a bullet in the bottom of an empty revolver that was going to just go click. There would still be the fear that somehow, something would go wrong.

As for the whole of it, I was thinking the same thing. Finally, AMC gets their act together on something. They sneak OAR in on people and keep them appeased with info at the same time. I wasn't even in the mood for DH and I ended up watching more than half of it simply because of this treatment.

Similar to the FOX version for Say Anything, among others that I can't think of right now. It's also been done similarly on a few DVDs, Ghostbusters is one of those IIRC.

But the standout thing for TDH was the sheer volume of good info they were throwing out there. Far beyond just goofy little parts.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rich? That would be John Rice! Don't let the similar sigs confuse you! [​IMG]

8. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Well, it didn't take long for people to forget about AMC's butchery of movies and the insertion of commercials within the movies themselves. I'm proud to say I haven't watch a thing on AMC since they started the damn practice. [​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Mark, I think you are missing the point.

When AMC does it wrong, I don't watch. When they do something good, I will watch.

Bad dog, spanking, Good dog, treat.

They did still stick a commercial in there though. But I can slightly forgive that under the impression that they might be having a tough time paying the bills.

BTW, I didn't notice editing for language, but wasn't really thinking about it at the time.

10. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I hated it. But I also hate the what TNN does, along with all the station bugs, and all the other annoying screen things. I wouldn't mind all this info if I had the choice to turn it off. We need tv that is more interactive, so viewers can have more control over what they want on their screens. Just my opinion.

11. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I also positively hate this too. Why ruin a film for those who may be seeing it for the first time? It's like being forced to listen to a commentary track before actually seeing the movie. Also, with The Omen it totally ruined the suspense and drama by running useless trivia across the bottom of the screen. It's one thing to have the information at one's fingertips, when it can be turned on or off via the DVD players remote, but actually broadcasting it that way is silly.

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't see what the big deal is about just ignoring the information if you don't want it. It's not like any of it was displayed on top of the image. It's like the J6P's of the world that bitch about the "annoying black bars on the screen" whenever they watch something in widescreen. Focus on the picture and get a grip. Geez.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Again, I understand why you might not want to watch it this way, but viewing it is an option just like I don't watch the P&S versions (which I found was on AMC today [​IMG] ).
    I'm sure EVERY station would love to be able to let the viewer have enough control to ensure that they all will watch what is on, but it just isn't there yet.
    And remember, when it does arrive it will probably mean that while you watch your LBX version, most of the country will be watching the P&S version...it's possible that even TCM would have to cave in on this option were it out there.
    As it is now at least some channels can force OAR out there.
    It is no different than when IFC runs COMMENTARY TRACK audio from LDs/DVDs for films...both Trainspotting and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were run this way. You had to watch with the commentary audio. However, before that they ran the regular version.

14. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and really enjoyed the additional information.

I don't think I would watch a movie for the first time under this format but if it is a film I enjoyed in the past I'll definitely give it another go.

15. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Yeah, the Much More Movie seems like an OK idea. If AMC can start showing all the movies in OAR, then we'd be set. That "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen" message gives me the urge to kill. I saw that on there one day and I flew up off my chair like a rocket and went straight to my computer and wrote them a nasty letter with F words and everything. I've written nicer letters in the past, but got no reply.