What's new

Anybody know who owns the home video rights to these movies ? (1 Viewer)

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya,

Anybody know who owns the home video rights to these movies ?

SPLIT IMAGE (1982) - Directed by Ted Kotcheff (First Blood, Fun with Dixk and Jane) and starring Michael O'Keefe, Karen Allen, James Woods, Brian Dennehy and Peter Fonda. (Never released on DVD).

LADY BEWARE (1987) - Directed by Karen Arthur and starring a young Diane Lane. (Never released on DVD).

I would love to contact the studio who owns these movies to see if they could atleast consider a DVD release. Does anyone know who owns the rights currently? I believe both were "indie" productions.

Thanks so much for any info. Thanks.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
SPLIT IMAGE (1982) was a Polygram Filmed Entertainment movie and since it was released in 1982, then it should be controlled by MGM. MGM has control of all the Polygram films before 1996 and Universal controls the films from 1996 until Polygram's demise.

LADY BEWARE (1987) was released by International Video Entertainment which through several renames and sales is now Lionsgate.

Of course both of these films could have had their rights reverted back to producers at sometime in the past, but I do not think so. The only way is to contact the above companies and hope for an answer, but this should put you on the right track.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so so much for the info. Now I just have to find a contact number or email! Are MGM DVD's still released through Sony or Fox or are they through MGM still ?

Thanks again!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
SPLIT IMAGE may not be with MGM. I have been told the earliest batch of Polygram-produced films (ENDLESS LOVE through to SIX WEEKS) were not included in the Polygram package that MGM bought; a recent screening of SPLIT IMAGE at the Silent Movie Theatre in L.A. credited Universal as the print source. You may need to try there.

LADY BEWARE, on the other hand, was only released on VHS by the former IVE/Live/Artisan Entertainment; it was produced by Scotti Bros. Pictures, which is one of the libraries that MGM does now own. So try them for this title.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark. That's great info!

I always really wondered what on earth happened to "SPLIT IMAGE". It was made around the time of "FIRST BLOOD" (just before or just after - any ideas?) and made by the same director (Ted Kotcheff). It got awesome reviews and was very very well acted. "FIRST BLOOD" was a monster hit and launched the "RAMBO" films and "SPLIT IMAGE" just died, never to be released widely on home video, hardly ever shown on TV, and never released on DVD. The widescreen presentation on this film is a must as the "woeful" pan-and-scan versions are unwatchable with whole chunks of important info missing out of frame. Mark... do you know anything else about the history of this movie? Sooooo underrated. Was it made before or after "First Blood"? What happened to the films star... Micheal O'Keefe? Around the time of this movie he was quite highly regarded.

"LADY BEWARE" was video only? Not released to cinemas? I didn't know that. Maybe now that Diane Lane is a bigger name maybe MGM might consider releasing it. Any info on this film too? Thanks again!

Love to hear how the "STAINS" DVD is coming along!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks