What's new

Anybody know where to find Queensryche on dvd audio? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
w.r.t. the stereo tracks on EMI DVD-A discs. I believe that the latest round of releases have digital copy protection such that if there is a 24 bit 96KHz 2-channel PCM track, it will be converted to 16 bit 48KHz PCM before going through the digital output. What does this mean? Well, it means that you can't hear the 24 Bit 96KHz 2-channel track properly unless you use the analog outs of your player. If you like the DAC on your outboard decoder better than the one on your player, you are out of luck.

This was not on the Al Green disc, but the stereo tracks on that one were 24 bit 48KHz to begin with. It is definitely on the Crowded House disc and likely on the Queensryche disc.

On the positive side, they have been including the 24 bit 96KHz 2-channel mix with the DVD-Video content, so you do not need to own a DVD-Audio player to enjoy it. DVD-Audio player owners may lament the absence of a 192KHz MLP 2-channel mix, but I think it is a reasonable compromise.

Regards,

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review Emil.
Looking forward to your reviews of Empire and the Yes disc, Eric.
On the positive side, they have been including the 24 bit 96KHz 2-channel mix with the DVD-Video content, so you do not need to own a DVD-Audio player to enjoy it.
Thanks Ken. I'm really close to picking up a DVD-A player (reason for my interest in these reviews), but I'm glad to hear I'll be able to listen to the high-res version through my DVD-V player until then. Eric, could you confirm if this is true on the Yes disc?
A Mindcrime release would be sweet:D
Jerry

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My amp is out of order, at the shop getting repaired. That means nothing but DD for me right now on an old Pioneer VSX-D606S. Man do I want my amp back now... :frowning:
But I can wait. :)

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
From Ken:
On the positive side, they have been including the 24 bit 96KHz 2-channel mix with the DVD-Video content, so you do not need to own a DVD-Audio player to enjoy it.
I plopped my $26 down today and rushed home to listen to this on my Sony '9000ES DVD-V player. After reading the disc, the DD light shows on the front panel.:angry: This showed as Title 1. I was able to change to Title 4 which was the interview, and Title 3 which was the Jet City Woman video (also showed as DD).
It does not appear that there is a separate 24/96 track for DVD-V players :thumbsdown:
Just wanted to pass this info on.
Guess I'll have to push up that DVD-A purchase.
Jerry
NP: Queensryche: Empire (DCC)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Ken,

Just so you know, when I was playing the stereo, I was using the Analogue outs. However, they were the 6 channel and not the 2 channels. What I find odd about this disc is all other discs I have used in stereo will show me the bit rate. For example, the America disc reports 24/192 when I hit the audio button. But Empire shows nothing. The Crowded House does this as well. Any idea why?

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I bought Empire tonight and I think the 5.1 mix sounds very good, although not quite on par with the black album. The biggest improvement is the full sounding bass compared to the regular cd.

Can someone who had a dvd audio player compare the higher resolution mix to what I am hearing on this disk and describe the difference? Thanks!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I plopped my $26 down today and rushed home to listen to this on my Sony '9000ES DVD-V player. After reading the disc, the DD light shows on the front panel. This showed as Title 1. I was able to change to Title 4 which was the interview, and Title 3 which was the Jet City Woman video (also showed as DD).
Jerry, you have to go through the menus to select the 96/24 PCM track, but it is most definitely available through the DVD-V session. Take some time and look, it is there. I loaded it in my Technics DVD-A10 in DVD-Video mode and it was perfect.

The DD is the defaut. I wonder how the dts sounds. I sampled about 20 seconds of the DD surround mix and thought it sounded dreadful.

NP: Phil Keaggy: "TIME I"

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, you have to go through the menus to select the 96/24 PCM track, but it is most definitely available through the DVD-V session. Take some time and look, it is there.
Thanks Philip. I'm only using my DVD-V as a SACD/CD player right now and don't even have it hooked up to a TV. I hooked it up to a TV and wrote down the steps to access the 24/96 AR track. It would be nice if they let you cycle through the different audio tracks, but I'm just glad I can listen to it now. Thanks again.

Sorry to all for misstating that the 24/96 PCM track was not available through the DVD-V session. :b

Jerry

NP: Queensryche - Empire DVD-A

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Guys:
Ken wrote:
This is such terrific news IMO. It makes one wonder why Warner did not do this from the beginning, a la the Classic Records music-only DVD releases such as the Glory score.
Kinda bringing this back to the original post: where are you guys consistently finding new DVD-A releases such as Empire online? I can't get to DVD Empire at work (blocked by the M.I.S. dept.) and I'm not finding Empire, Crowded House or (Linda Ronstadt's) What's New at either DigitalEyes.net or DVD Planet. I have shipping issues with Amazon.com and, on just a visceral level, would prefer to give the biz to a DVD-specific e-tailer.
On a related note, has anyone figured out why DVDAudioPreview.com is so lame? It's a Warner-hosted site and they don't even have their own What's New release mentioned (much less available for sale) there.
Cheers,
Paul

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if they let you cycle through the different audio tracks, but I'm just glad I can listen to it now. Thanks again.
It seems that it would be more logical, but in order to do this they would have to author a DVD-Video stream with an uncompressed 96/24 stereo track, a DD track, and a DTS track. (The video for this would be nominal). That's a hell of a lot of data, and if they did this I don't think that the 96/24 track could be shared between the DVD-V and DVD-A sessions.

NP: King Crimson: "Level Five" (#5189)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DD is the default. I wonder how the DTS sounds. I sampled about 20 seconds of the DD surround mix and thought it sounded dreadful.
The DTS tracks on the Al Green & Crowded House discs sounded pretty good. EMI has been using full bitrate DTS just like DTS CDs. They have not tried the "96/24" DTS variant like on the Queen disc yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that due to mix differences and even slight differences in analog tape speed, you can have different song lengths on a 2-channel or multi-channel track. This would make it awkward to switch audio "on the fly".

NP (home) O'Jays Ship Ahoy SACD
NP (car) Cellarful of Motown disc 2

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks