Anybody know where to find Queensryche on dvd audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Supposedly Empire was released last month but I can't find it anywhere. I'd love to get my hands on this one!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sheldon, Queensryche Empire has not been released on DVD-Audio. I have heard nothing definitive about it being released. At the beginning of the year, some people posted a laundry list of quality titles that were supposed to be coming out on DVD-Audio. Practically none of them have come out. Warner has done nothing with DVD-Audio in months. The only DVD-Audio disc I have bought in the past four months is Queen A Night at the Opera. It is very frustrating. I like the format, and it pains me to say it, but the future of the format is looking bleak. [​IMG]

3. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Actually, it is due on 7/30/02. Along with the first Crowded House disc. All the usual sources have this one up (I have these pre-ordered with DVD Empire)

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Thanks guys, I hope you're right about that release date Emil. Empire really has potential to sound amazing especially with Tate's voice being so good to begin with.
    Keith, it does seem like releases are few and far between. I really haven't seen much of anything new at Best Buy the past few months for dvd audio or sacd. If anything, those racks seem to be getting smaller. [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil,
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will come out on the 30th.
    Larry,
    I don't read ICE. Oops!
    Sheldon,
    The vast majority of SACDs that Best Buy sells are Sony titles, and Sony has released few titles in recent months. However, Best Buy stores have been getting little or no new titles and has not been restocking older titles. Fortunately, Tower Records stores does a good job of stocking SACDs (not just Sony titles), plus many web sites have a good selection too.
    Note that Sony has announced a few new titles for SACD that look good. Go to the following link:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/

7. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

What about Operation: Mindcrime? Is that slated for a DVD-A release as well or is Empire it?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Todd, Empire is the only Queensryche title slated for release on DVD-Audio at this point.

9. Todd Terwilliger

Keith,

Thanks. I'll pick up Empire but it's a shame if that's the only one.

10. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Todd - I agree. Queensryche releasing only Empire and not Mindcrime is kind of like Metallica releasing the black album and not their best album, Master of Puppets. Both Empire and black were by far both artists highest selling albums but most people who are really into both bands know that those albums are not the artists best.
    Especially in Metallica's case. If I had Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and And Justice for all (I know you can't hear Jason's bass on that album, but it still kills the black album) on dvd audio I'd never leave the house.[​IMG]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Todd, no problem. I would love to see Operation Mindcrime on DVD-Audio as well.

12. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Just so you know, I received both the Queensryche and the Crowded House discs today. So it did come out. Enjoy.

NP: Queensryche - Empire DVD-A

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

The other day, I was reading some stuff on MFSL releases and, according to this site, Queensryche "Empire" was supposed to have been released as a MFSL gold CD (UDCD #759?) before they went bankrupt. That's too bad...I listened to this CD a lot when I was a teenager and thought it sounded pretty good. I would have liked to hear what MFSL did with it and would have had to buy it for nostalgic purposes! (Scroll way down on the page...)
    http://www.aurealm.com/orange.htm

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ron,

There's a (DCC I believe) Gold audiophile CD of Empire. I've seen it for sale at my local Tower Records. I'm waiting for the DVD-Audio though.

NP: The Clash: "Clash On Broadway" box set - CD 1

15. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

Hey Emil,
    How about a review of the Queensryche DVD-A?[​IMG]
    Anyone else get it and want to share your thoughts? Thanks.
    Jerry

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I bought it...
    But I haven't listened to it yet. [​IMG]
    Tonight, hopefully.
    NP: David Bowie, Scary Monsters

17. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Just got "Empire" and Yes "Magnification." Will post reviews later this week...

Eric.

18. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Ask and thee shall receive:

Queensryche
    Empire
    EMI

Audio Choices : Hi-Res Multi-channel, Hi-Res Stereo, DD, DTS

Extras: Interview with the band, 2 videos (Jet City Woman, Silent Lucidity), Discography (with samples), Photos

Sound: Surprising. That was my first reaction after listening to this disc. I am a big fan of both this and Operation Mindcrime (please please release this one EMI) and was over joyed when I first put this disc in my 9200. I tend to prefer multi-channel so I listened to that mix. The disc does read as a 24/96 recording. I was very happy when I first put the disc in and it started to play. No EMI logo and default to menu like the previous EMI DVD-A disc I had listened to (Al Green). So why did I use the word surprising at the start? Although this is a very solid mix, it is not as aggressive a surround mix I would have expected. The rears are very subtly introduced and simply add ambiance. Now I know that some prefer this. If that is you, you will love this disc. Personally, I enjoy aggressive mixes when the material will support it. I feel this music would have bennefited from this. There are no big sweeps and no wierd vocals or instruments come out of the rears. This disc sounds very natural to me. I compared it with my Redbook copy and it really is no comparison. In every way, the DVD beats it. The bass in particular is very strong and helps the music quite well. If you are a fan of this album, you should not be dissapointed.

Stand out tracks include "Silent Lucidity", "Empire", "Anybody listening?" and "Jet City Woman". The only track that is really aggressive in surround use is "The Thin Line", with both "Best I Can" and "Jet City Woman" close behind. Personally, going in to this disc, my favorite track from this album has always been "Another Rainy Night (without you)". While I was overall pleased, I felt this track should have used the surround better. I had invisioned pouring rain sound from everywhere as the song played. Alas, that is not the case.

The menus are very clever. They all revolve around the them set by the cover of the album. These are the best menus I have ever seen on a DVD-A disc. The highlight of the extras is a 20 minute interview with Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo. They reminince about the album and the group. It is very informative and has some very funny bits. One thing though. Every once in a while, I hear a crackling like noise while the guys are talking. Almost sounds like Geoff's leather jacket is causing this. The videos are in DD and that was disappointing. Although it was interesting to see them again after not having seen them in a long time. The discography is a rather nasty tease. It shows cover art for all their other EMI albums and plays a short tidbit of 1 song from every other album. Their is also the groups Biography, some Photos and the other EMI titles slide.

I did a quick check on the stereo track. The 9200 had no reading on the bit rate. Just PCM. I just spot listened so I have no real impressions yet.

So, is it worth the money? If you are a fan, absolutely. If you are not, I still feel it is worth it. There are some great songs on this disc. The extras are solid. What more do you want from a DVD-A disc?

19. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Emil,

Thanks for the review. I am anxiously awaiting for this disc to be delivered (ordered it yesterday).

20. Todd Terwilliger

Nice review. Let's hope this release does well enough that they might consider releasing Mindcrime.