Anybody know where I can see the Mitsubishi WS-82913 on display?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Skip Hammerman, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Skip Hammerman

Hope fully in Midwest (I am in Detroit area) - if not I will travel to check it out in order to decide what to buy.

Please let me know if you have seen this set in a store.

2. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Yeah, I do. Unfortunately, it's a little further from you than a short commute.

Bjorn's here in San Antonio (no site yet) has it in the showroom. Incredible. They were running Finding Nemo when I last was there, before Christmas.

Can't help you much with the tech info, but if you've got the $20K to spend, God bless you!

If you want to talk to the man himself (pronounced Bee-Yorn), call him at 210-828-3237. He might have to call you back, but just make sure they know you're interested in it. Bjorn has been around here for over 20 years and has a first rate new showroom/building he built a couple of years ago. He often is the first in the country to premiere such things as Sony SACD, new THX formats, etc. And on top of it all, he's a nice guy.

Good luck....

3. Skip Hammerman

Thanks for your reply. I actually used to live in San Antonio and have a pile of receipts from Bjorns in my files (including the Pioneer Laser Disk player that is boxed in the basement). I can get the 82 incher directly from Mitsubishi through a connection for $12K even, which makes it a possibility. I thought somebody said the ubit was on display in Chicago (4 hour drive), but I can't find that post.

I may call Bjorn(s) and ask what they think about it.

Thanks again - and Happy New Year!

4. John S

John S Producer

Dang, I would think there would be one somewhere in Detroit.

I saw one at the Big Picture (local B&M store) last Saturday here in Denver.

They had 4 "premier" veiwing theaters setup, and this was the set in one of them.

(They were a tad disgruntled with me, as I was gripe'n about their audio setup)... lol

But heck, they were running TV speakers on most of their demo rooms, including the massive Mitsu.

All I said was "I'll bet you would sell more TV's with better audio setups running". He got very defensive after that though. Then he found out, I already bought my new TV, and I don't think he said another word to me, the time I was there. lol

Of course he had remembered me comming in and demo'n several sets while making my choice. They did not carry the set I ended up going with anyways though. But he did not bother to ask me what I had ended up buy'n, he just seemed most dis-pleased I did not buy it there.

They were a decent brick and mortor though, as they can show you DVD 480i, DVD 480p, NTSC broadcast, and Dish HD on every set in the store. (No other store I went to could really easily show me all 4 of those formats)

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Audio-Video Alternatives
    32790 Woodward Avenue
    Royal Oak MI 48073
    (248) 549-3100

Had most of the Mits line on display when I was shopping a few years ago. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

6. Skip Hammerman

Jim -

They still are a dealer, however, they do not have any on display. I also believe they have moved a few blocks to a much smaller showroom focusing more on custom installations than regular walk in traffic.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    any seen in the philly area?

8. Karlf

Karlf Auditioning

In the Philly area, I saw it at Hi Fi House in Bromall and Ed's TV in Hatfield. When you demo it, be sure to watch a movie with some dark scenes-the shadow detail is not good. If you don't care about that, the set is fantastic.

9. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Well, heck. No way Bjorn or any other retailer will match THAT price! [​IMG]

UPDATE:

I don't know how accurate his info is, but Bjorn ran an add during the Cowboy's playoff game last night in which he claims that he's one of only 6 dealers nationally that have this unit.

10. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

I believe that at least one of the Sound Advice stores in Florida - possibly the one in Boca Raton - has this set on display. You could call their main number and inquire. Sound Advice is now owned by Tweeter.

11. Skip Hammerman

Barret's Home Theater in Aurora Illinois (Chicago Burb) has the unit and I guess I will have to make the three hundred mile drive to check it out... I tried to see if there would be unit closer to Detroit but can't find one. Three hundred miles - four hours or so each way. I guess it is not too bad.

[​IMG]