What's new

anybody know the difference between v1 and v2 of paradigm monitor 7? (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering buying a used pair of monitor 7 v1 and would like to know if there are any sonic differences between the two version and also what a fair price is for a used pair of monitor 7 with a few small dents on the back of one of the speakers?
here is a picture of the dents:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jerryhost...c=ph%26.view=t

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
The differences that I remember are that the v2's have the protruding feet, to give it a bit wider stance, and the protruding curved faceplate (hangs off the top a half inch or so) wheras the v1's had the feet at the corners and the faceplate lined up with the cabinet on three sides. I'm sure there are internal changes, but I wouldn't know anything about them.

I wouldn't presume to know how to price damaged goods, but I would think that $500-$550 would be the going rate for a used pair of "obsolete" (ie not v2, nothing else meant) speakers.

I've got a pair of Monitor 7 v2 and I absolutely love them. I paid $650 new, which is full retail...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
The difference MAY center on crossover circuitry. I can tell you the V.2 specs, but you will have to dig around (email Paradigm tech?) for V.1 specs.
Monitor 7 v.2
3-driver, 2-way bass reflex, quasi-3rd order resistive port
Crossover- 3rd order electro-acoustic at 2.0kHz.
Low freq extension- 34Hz
Sensitivuty Room/Anechoic 93dB/90dB
Suitable amplifier range- 15-175 watt
Impedance- Compatible w/ 8 ohms

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
i guess a more important issue is whether the v1 and v2 are timbre match so when I am ready to complete a surround system I can easily find timbre matched speakers.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
i picked up some v1 monitor 9's and couldn't be happier. i know with the 9's they went from a 2 way design to a 2.5 way design, which is a pretty big change, although it's debatable exactly what's better. I believe the 7's are a 2 way design either way. I have also heard that there were some cross over tweaks.

That said, I haven't heard of anyone saying they could hear a difference between v1 and v2 on any of paradigm's monitor or studio series speakers.

i don't think the timber matching will be an issue - the drivers are basically the same between v1 and v2. especially since you'll be adding rears anyway where it's less important to have perfect timber matching.

Shane G

Agent
I found some specs on the V1's;

PTD Pure Titanium Dome ferofluid cooled tweeter

2- 6-1/2" injection-molded copolymer polypropylene cone bass midrange drivers, with die cast baskets

3rd order electro/acoustic crossover at 1.8 khz.

Sensitivity at 92db in room.

I was talking to a dealer just a couple weeks ago about my Monitor 70P's, and he asked if they were the version 1's, as he believed they sounded better then the V2's. He stated Paradigm had changed the tweeters as they were having problems with them blowing(?). But, by looking at the specs, it looks like they only changed the crossover, raising it slightly, so the tweeter doesn't handle as much midrange. This I presume would increase its ability to handle more power (just a guess?).

I've never had any problems with my 70P's V1, which I use quite hard practically everyday for the past 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks