What's new

anybody know of a 16:9-4:3 formula? (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
I'm trying to figure out if the screen image of a letterbox DVD played on a 26" widescreen TV (16:9) is equivalent in size to one played on a 32" normal TV (4:3) or if I'd have to go to a 30" widescreen TV in order to match that.

Surely there must be a website somewhere with an equivalency chart or converter calculator?

It's been way too long since high school algebra, I can't figure out any sort of simple formula to compare the two!

:angry:

eddieZEN

Second Unit
John S,

thanks a million, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Shiza, now I have to look around for a 30" widescreen. I was hoping to get away with the $600 Toshiba 26df84 widescreen, I think the 30" version will be an extra $200-300 plus weigh a ton more.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Jeremy,

thanks, that is useful but I'll have to think about all those different modes...which letterbox mode would you say is probably the most common on DVDs?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I ended up going with a 60" 4:3 display with a native widescreen mode as I was upgrading from a 48" SD RPTV, and I'll be darned if I wasn't going to see large screen size gains on all my material.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Well. 95% of my 10-12 hours a week of TV watching is DVDs and if it weren't for the preponderance of letterbox formatting I'd be content with my current humble 20" TV.

So I feel a little foolish forking out all that dough for something that I don't use very much in the first place, LOL.

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator

Obviously depends on what you watch (TV Shows on DVD, old B&W Movies, current "indie" stuff, or the "epic" films).

I find that the vast majority of the modern movies in our collection are either 2.35:1 or 16:9 (1.78:1), with the occasional 1.85:1 title.

TV shows and old movies are usually 4:3 (or "Academy Ratio").

John S

Senior HTF Member
Then again, Disney keeps reporting 1.66:1 on their stuff.... :)

I find they are all over the place these days. I would truly have to count, or maybe have my database figure it out, as to which one if any was more prevelent over the others.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages between a 30" 16x9 vs 32" 4:3 tube, both HDTV?

matt-f

Second Unit
John,

Nice link!! I was wondering about that too but I didn't bother since I calculated by hand to find out the ratio using a calculator to get an approximate! =)

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator

Arnie, looking at Jeremy Stockwell's link (which is what I've always used), its pretty clear:

For widescreen formats, the 30" 16x9 offers a SLIGHT advantage (3.8% to 4.2% bigger image).

However for 4:3 programs, the 32" screen would be a whopping 70.6% larger image.

Seems to me, if you watch any significant amount of 4:3 programming, a slightly larger 4:3 TV is still the way to go.

BTW, the same holds true for the "next size up". A 34" widescreen TV versus a 36" 4:3 TV has similar advantages/disadvantages.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
OK. With the WAF accounted for it looks like I'll be settling for a 27" flat screen, right now the only question is whether to get one with standard TV, EDTV, or HDTV.

Standard 27" flat screen Toshiba goes for $350 around here, a 27" flat screen Samsung EDTV for $300 on sale, and 27" HDTV is a whopping $500-700.

Which would you recommend? Remember, about the only thing I ever watch are DVDs, and I have zero interest in ever going to cable or satellite or local TV.

I'm especially confused by EDTV...never heard of it before!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Link Removed website is great. I used that in my shopping.

I also suggest buying some posterboard and drawing the sizes of the screens and placing it on your current TV. It gives you a more realistic sense of the screen sizes than at the store. Looking at 36" next to 60" monsters in cavernous showroom makes things seem smaller than they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks