What's new

Anybody Know Anything About Pro Audio? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Tony,
I've been playing with some JBL EON's in my shop recently and they are very very nice. Plenty of volume without distorting IMO. Depending on your budget, Meyer's self powered series is great but more $$. As for the non powered variety, well...how much do you have to spend? ;) I don't know the price off the top of my head, but Nexo speakers are killer! Great bass response, clear highs, and it doesn't take much power at all to run them. And you can push them loud as hell without fear. I had a DJ just killing me with his output and the Nexo's handled it fine. They aren't cheap but don't cost much considering what you get.
As for amps I prefer QSC. The PLX series is very solid and road worthy (if that's what you'll be using it for). Vince will probably recommend you something from Crest. ;) But of all three (QSC, Crest, and Crown) you really can't go wrong.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

Can't offer much advice on the first item- small portible systems seem to be more the "musician" market-- although I have often wished that the pro audio PAs I work with would be a single lightweight cabinet on a pole-- but lately the case has been more like 40 box flown systems.

QSC powerlight is decent- they are the flagship QSC product (although, personally on critical listen I prefer some other brands- but wattage to pound ratio- you can't beat them). I would recommend the Powerlight stuff over the PLX.

I should have searched up this post myself-- I think Chuck emailed me but I had a bit of a system crash and never got in touch with him. If you're reading this Chuck, drop me another email- sorry I didn't get back in touch with you.

-Vince

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys...just want to chime in here on this one...I think you all are kinda shooting over some of the folks heads here with comps/limiters and such. Basically he's looking for pack and go type stuff.

If you want totally portable/minimal setup involved...go with the Mackie or JBL powered stuff. It sounds fine, and if you get the powered subs to go with them, you will be able to do 95% of anything you would book as a dj, except for maybe raves or such. You might want to look into a laptop with PCDJ or some type of MP3 software. This is definitely the way to go for fast...get in, make the bucks, and get out type stuff.

If you want a little more puch with the possibility of upgrades...and a little more involved setup. Look into OAP Audio T-115 (15"x1", get it loaded with McCauley, you won't regret it). EAW has the FR159z...you can't go wrong there also. If you want subs...OAP has a 1x18" box to match their top box and EAW has the FR250 2x15" box to go with the FR159z. QSC offers PLX and MX series amps. Both are good units for the money, PLX is the lighter of the two. Crown and Crest also offer good midline units for close to the same price break. You won't go wrong with any of those amps.

With these systems you will need a mixer/amp setup which also requires a rack (more stuff to carry). If you want subs...double the amp count and add an electronic crossover to the mix (ie double the money, double the stuff to carry, double the weight).

Prices-

Two powered speakers (for use with laptop) $1750.00

above with powered subs- add $3000.00

Two nonpowered speakers w/ mixer/ amp setup $2500.00

Subs to match- add $4000.00

Keep in mind these prices are by noway accurate pricing for the above listed equipment...but it is a close guideline. IF you pay a lot less...watch it, you may be getting screwed. IF you pay a lot more, you may be getting screwed too. In conversations with Vince, he seems knowledgable and trustworthy (although he doesnt seem to care for QSC much) but that's ok...just a difference of opinion. I would also be glad to help you along...I have two bench techs in my shop...I can tell what we see on the bench the most.

As with any of this equipment...GO LISTEN TO THE STUFF YOUR GOING TO BUY!!!!!! Your paying good money for this stuff. You don't buy a car without test driving it??? or do you??? If you don't like the way it sounds, DON'T BUY THE FREAKIN STUFF. It's not going to sound any different after you buy it.

This just something to go by...I not familiar with the rest of the guys who popped in here...but again, no offense to you all...I just know Vince a little better.

My .02...

Thanks

Tim K.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Tim,
I think Tony is probably talking about pack and go also. But maybe not. This was his first time replying to this thread. That's why I mentioned both JBL EON's and Nexo. Model numbers escape me but the 4 Nexo's I've run out (two way speakers to those unfamiliar) could chew up and spit out the 4 three way OAP cabinets that I use all the time (the company I freelance for the most owns them). Now, the Nexo's do cost more. But they aren't all that big (smaller than the JBL EON's) are not all that heavy and do sound great.
And I completely understand you not knowing about "the rest of the guys that popped in." Just so you know, I am still a newbie to pro audio. But I'm learning. You guys are definitely on a higher link in the knowledge chain but I still have some to contribute. I hope... :b
So anyhow, Tony...what are you going to be using this for and how much do you, or don't you, want to spend? :)

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses guys. I used to DJ back in college and what I remember the most about it was how much a pain in the @ss it was to lug all the equipment on my own. When I DJ'd on my own, I used to use these Gemini 15" cabinets that were not exactly portable or stand mountable... to make things worse, I had this old 60 pound peavey amp that could barely drive them to a decent level without clipping. I think it only pushed about 275W @ 8 ohms. My equipment was not exaclty picked by me... some of it was "hand me downs" etc.

When I started working for a DJ company, they use to use BOSE 802's. I absolutely hated them. The sound was horrible. The only good thing about them was that they were portable and stand mountable.

These days, I don't do much DJ'ing, but I am thinking about getting back into it. I would prefer to buy a 12" or 15" speaker that is stand mountable and relatively portable. I want something with decent sound that put out some volume when pushed. I was thinking about active speakers mainly for convenience. Something like the Mackie SA1521 really catches my eye - its a little on the heavy side though. The other thing I like about the active route is that I can add a 3rd or even 4th speaker with no problem if I ever needed to.

My initial budget would probably be something like 2,000-3,000 for speakers and amps up to about 5,000 including woofers. Like I said, since portability and versatility are important, I don't mind having to pay extra for it. I just want to make sure I do my homework since the first couple times DJing I hated my equipment for one reason or another. I think the only peices of equipment that I had no complaints about, were the DENON 2000 MKIII Dual CD-Player and the Technics 1200's.

Anyone have any first hand experience on what the optimal mobile DJ setup would be under 5K - speakers, subs and amps

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
For some fun DJ'ing software, check out Otsjuke. Automated mixing, playlists, and soon, automated beat mixing, make this a very fun product. I played with it for quite a while last year, and loved it. No more cases of CD's, just everything on a laptop!

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Hi all,
Tony, if you are looking for a lightweight sound system, have you looked at a QSC package? People know our amps have big power and great sound in a lightweight design, but did you know we do speakers as well?
On our home page, click on the "BEHOLD The Power of ISIS," link to learn more (does this count as a shameless plug?). Speaker cabinets are extremely lightweight (made of super strong carbon fiber) and are designed for “plug and play.” These speakers were used for the little demo we did here at the factory during the national HTF meet last year.
Vince, how’s it going? Still waiting for you to come by so I can give you a tour of the factory. :)
Dan, I suspect I will be seeing you in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks