What's new

Anybody know anything about Lawn Mower Engines? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I was mowing my lawn last night and my lawn mower engine stopped; seemingly for no reason. When I looked, I noticed that the spark plug cap/connector had come off. I put it back on and had some trouble get the engine to start back up, but it finally did. But then, it stopped again (I hadn't even moved the mower yet) and the cap had popped back off! This happened several more times until I got some wire and rigged it so that the cap wouldn't keep popping off. After that, it seemed to run fine.

Could it just be a bad spark plug (replaced last year)? Or is it something else. Any ideas?

Thanks!

JKS

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It sounds to me like the spark plug wire cap is worn out and not making good contact with the spark plug. Maybe you should try replacing the spark plug wire. You could also try crimping the spark plug wire cap so it doesn't come off so easily.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
A lawn mower vibrates like crazy. If the plug wire cap for whatever reason does not fit snugly on the spark plug, there is more than enough vibration to help it work loose. Be careful about using any type conductive wire to hold the plug wire in place - you may inadvertently electrify something that connects to the gas tank. I would try replacing the plug wire and spark plug with new ones.

Leo

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
With lawnmowers, the plug wire is built into the magneto. So, get a new magneto, follow the instruction on how to install it, and you should be set. Weedeaters are kinda fun to play with too. They're so easy to work on. I tore mine down all the way down to the piston and put it back together. Started right up.

One time, I was over at a friend's house doing some yard work and took apart her Rototiller engine to clean the cylinder and the valves and replace the spark plug. When I put it back together and got it running again, I told her this. "That is the first time I've ever worked on a 4 cycle engine!" She was kinda surprized. I told her I've been reading on how engines work and stuff, so I had an idea how to do it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm not (+) about lawnmower plug wires, but on motorcycle engines the wires are usually attached to the coilpacks too, but the plug boots unscrew from the wire. So IF you can't just replace the wire maybe you can replace just the boot, OR maybe the boot has come loose and needs to be screwed back in tight.. it happens on bikes occasionally. Food for thought :) cheaper than a new magneto.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
A new Magneto can cost as much as a DVD or 2 to as much as a cheap Apex DVD player. So, a new magneto ain't gonna break the bank. If your lawnmower is about 5 years old, or older, it wouldn't hurt to get a new magneto. The plug wire is built right on it. It's easy to replace. Remove the cover, unscrew a couple screws on the magneto, disconnect it, reconnect the new one, screw it on, and TADA. Then all you have to do is put the starter rope assembly thing back on, hook up the spark plug, and let her rip.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Uhhmm, I reckon I know somebody who could help with that. Umm, reckon he looks like this, uh-huum:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks