Anybody know about back pain?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Because good grief do I have it at the moment!

Not really sure what happened. I was doing a reasonable amount of lifting (computer gear) at the end of last week. And over the weekend I went to the gym a couple of times (nothing heavy, just 20-odd mins on the cross-trainer and a quick swim). On Monday evening, the lower part of my back started to stiffen up and get a little sore. On Tuesday morning it was getting a bit painful to walk and get up (sitting is OK). Now today it took me ten minutes to get out of bed and into an upright chair. I can't stand up straight and my walk now resembles a chimpanzee (in pain).

The upper part of my back is fine. The lower bit, just above my pelvis feels very tight and is really very painful when I try to stand up, move from a lying to sitting position or shift my weight. The problem seems to be coming from either side of my spine rather than the spine itself.

I took ibuprofen yesterday and it didn't touch the pain. Today I'm on paracetamol and while it takes the very edge of it, it still hurts like hell.

Does anyone have any idea what I've done and the best way to get it back to normal?

2. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Is it sharp pain or a dull pain that is through out?
    Usually a sharp pain means the nerves are involved. Chiro's call it a subluxation or pinched nerve. If it is dull through the area you described it's probably muscular. I'm an assembly line worker and have had the pleasure of both from time to time.

Best thing is to get ice on it from the begining to reduce the inflamation. As far as Pain killers look for ibuprofen because it has anti-inflamitory qualities. Try one of those icey rubs that you can buy at the drug store.

Hope this helps.

PS If you aren't into Chiro's it usually works it's way out in a week or two.

3. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ill ask Mrs Physical Therapist and get back witcha.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Okie Dokie,
    You have a Lumbar Strain.
    If it is not inflamed or tender to touch, apply heat to the area for 15-20 minutes 3 times a day.
    Your lifting method needs a bit of work [​IMG]
    Exercise as follows:
    1. Pelvic Tilt.
    Lay on floor (on your back), knees bent, feet on floor.
    Press press upper part of pelvis against the floor (this tilts your privates upward [​IMG]) Hold 5 seconds for 10 reps 2 sets.
    2. Single Knee To Chest.
    Bring knee to chest, while keeping other knee bent and foot on floor. Hold 5 seconds for 10 reps for 2 sets.
    Then do other knee for same.
    3. Double Knee To Chest.
    Same as 2. but bring both knees to chest.
    4. Still laying on back, knees bent, rotate at hips and bring both knees side to side just to point of pain.
    5. Straight Leg Raises.
    Laying on floor, one leg bent, other extended on floor.
    Bring extended leg straight up to point of pain (70 degrees). Follow repetitions as above.
    6. Stand Agains Wall.
    this ones tricky)
    Back agains wall, feet twelve inches from wall, knees bent, upper legs parallel to ground, and feet shoulder width apart.
    This requires you to perform excercise as a squating to position and then standing to rest (back agains wall still)
    When squatting, perform same pelvic tilt as number 1.
    Use heating pad aftwards, and no lifting for about 4 weeks or longer.
    Peace!
    PS-Follow at your own risk [​IMG]

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Good advice so far. But I'll add that while it's tempting to remain inactive, that will just make things worse. The days of advising total bed rest is long gone. It will only add to the stiffness and muscle pain. The above stretches are good, as well as some light walking.

Don't sleep on your stomach or back, fetal position is best. If you must sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees. Don't sit for long periods of time. Get up and stretch. Muscle relaxers can help, if you can get a prescription.

I feel for you. I've been there!

6. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I feel your pain Rob. Really I do. I've had to put up with back pain for the better part of my adult life due to a four wheeler wreck many years ago. It ranges anywhere from a mild ache, to full on, call an ambulance I can't move (literally) severe type of pain.

My strong suggestion is to go see a chiropractor immediately. I know that a lot of people don't lend an ounce of credibility to their profession, but to say they have helped me over the years would be a gross understatement.

I usually take a long hot shower right before I go to loosen up my muscles. After my chiropractor gives me an adjustment, I go home and put ice on the problematic area for 15 to 20 minutes out of every hour. I try and do this for a few hours afterwards to minimize the swelling and help my back "set" back into place. If it doesn't go back into place the first time or pops back out right away, don't worry about it, you may have to go back a few times to get it stay in place. Take it easy for a few days afterwards and try not to twist and turn your body too much.

I've also found out that stretching when my back isn't hurting seems to help quite a bit.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Thanks for the advice people. I can actually stand up straight today, though the pain (sharp rather than dull) is still there when I try to walk as my weight shifts from one side to another.

I have been trying to sretch but it gets to the point where I can hardly move into different positions. It's definitely not as bad today so I will try the exercises.

Henry - several of those exercises I've already been doing for several weeks as part of a physiotherapy treatment for my dodgy left knee.

Thanks again
    Rob (ouch)