anybody into the new wilco album?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, May 22, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

after hearing pretty decent things about it (yankee hotel foxtrot) I thought I'd check it out, I really like a couple of the songs but can't get into the rest of it, don't know why. I think it's a great album.. guess it just isn't me [​IMG]
    I guess it isn't all that "new" on second thought [​IMG]
    I'm getting desperate, there hasn't been an album I've really been able to get into in like 2 years [​IMG]

2. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I'll grudgingly admit that this record has grown on me over the last six months (thanks to Brian Bunn), but it remains by far my least favorite of their albums. I'm surprised at the rave reviews it's getting, too, since I also think it's the least approachable of their albums; I couldn't imagine introducing someone to Wilco with this album, but that's probably because I've been listening to them since A.M. hit stores in 1994.
    I also went to the first show of their current tour (in Bloomington, IN), hoping that hearing some of the new tracks performed live would help my appreciation for them (as it did with a number of songs on Being There). No such luck, I'm afraid; I've seen them four times now, and this show was the worst yet. It may take them a while to get into a groove with the new material, though; concert reviews from the second show in Columbus, OH, were generally negative as well. Someone in Bloomington actually yelled at Tweedy, "When are you going to rock?!" Truth be told, I was wondering the same thing.
    If this is your first exposure to Wilco, don't give up on them just yet. Being There is (or was, until YHF) considered their crowning achievement, but I've always been partial to A.M., as I don't believe there's a bad song on that album. Their lyrics are never as cryptic or serious as Jay Farrar's stuff is, but Jay always was the better songwriter. [​IMG]

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my first Wilco album. Did they sound like T Rex on the others?
    Jim

4. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

The press is making it out to be the second coming of Radiohead. And it ain't that. But it growing on me with each listen, and I'm glad to have it. Track 6 is my favorite so far.

I think the rave reviews are such partially to stick it to the idiots at Reprise that let these guys go. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Then again, I'm really drunk right now... so nevermind.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

This is the first Wilco album I have ever listened to and I like it a lot. I will definately have to check out the other albums.

NP: Wilco - YHF, The White Stripes - De Stijl

7. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I like it a whole lot.
    After 3 or 4 listens, it started to fit me like an old pair of jeans. [​IMG]

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Hmm, I was going to get this CD based on the hype (articles, reviews, etc.), but I may hold out for a bit till I hear some cuts off of it.

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I picked it up on my lunch hour today. It's my first Wilco CD and so far I like it.

10. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

As a big Wilco fan, I didn't know quite what to make of it on the first listen. After several more run-throughs, though, oh hell yeah. I love it. Up there with Being There, my other favorite Wilco record.
    Good music doesn't always have to be about loud guitars played real fast, or "rocking". I like the new direction Jeff Tweedy is taking, and I hope he keeps on experimenting. YHF, on the whole, is a much more interesting listen than most of the stuff on A.M., for example (and I do like that album, too). I just wish they'd make it over to my part of the country more often (last time they've been to Oklahoma was November 1997, IIRC--great show, BTW).
    -mwb-

11. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Critics like to give good reviews to "difficult" works. [​IMG]
    Actually, I really enjoy this album, but it does take a couple listens to get into.

12. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I decided to resurrect this thread because I was thinking about everyone who was asking about the previous Wilco albums on the way home from work. I'm a dork.
    Anyway, if you're starting with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, you might want to pick up their other albums in reverse-chronological order. If you jump all the way back to A.M. for your second exposure, you'll probably sit there wondering what the hell happened. YHF will allow you to appreciate Summerteeth, which will, in turn, allow you to appreciate Being There, which will (finally), in turn, allow you to appreciate A.M..
    Once you make it to A.M., pick up the Uncle Tupelo 89-93: An Anthology, and start working backwards from there. [​IMG]

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've done that long ago. The earlier stuff doesn't grab me personally.
    it's funny, I was listening to YHF today again and some of the songs I REALLY dig, but the rest are pretty blah to me.

14. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

It's a good album, IMHO, but it's not Sgt. Pepper's, like the rags seem to profess. My vote for the best album of the last 12 months goes to EELS Souljacker. Funny, moving, and you can sing along. How many albums can you say that about?

15. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I listened to other Wilco albums over the years and thought they were just ok. After hearing "Heavy Metal Drummer" from the new album and thinking "Kinks" I had to give the new cd a shot. I confess there is also something rewarding about purchasing a cd which their label found "non commercial" which ended up in the top 20. Worth a listen, even if it isn't Sgt. Pepper(but what is?)[​IMG]

16. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I got YHF off the internet way back in August 2001 soon after the album was rejected by Reprise and upon first listen I was ready to claim it as one of the better albums of the last five years...atleast.
    See Previous Wilco Thread Here
    Perhaps I was a bit over enthusiastic in my initial reaction to the album...maybe because I had it way before it was to be officially released and was very excited to have some new WILCO that hardly anyone else had heard. After quite a few listens to the album I tempered my reaction a bit, though still believing it to be a very fine album. Not as good as Summerteeth, but still a fine album.
    Of course I picked up the official release when it came out in April and have listened to it many times since. And through it all I believe this album falls somewhere in between my initial extremely favorable reaction and my somewhat tempered reaction after listening to it for a few weeks. In other words...it is a darn fine album, but not quite up to Summerteeth standards, my favorite Wilco album.
    There are some great pop tunes on this album...Kamera, Jesus, etc., Heavy Metal Drummer, Pot Kettle Black. And then there are the more "experimental" tracks like I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Radio Cure, Ashes Of American Flags, Reservations. But taken as a whole it makes for a very compelling listen...I love it. And like many have said, it is one of those albums that grows on with repeated listens. Even individual songs sort of come to life after repeated listens. I was initially luke warm on the track "I'm The Man Who Loves You", with its Stones like background vocals and guitar licks. But now it is one of my favorite tracks on the album...great tune. And "Jesus, etc."...a heck of a pop tune.
    The only problem I have with the album is the closing track "Reservations". Not a very good track to end the album with, in my opinion. Interesting tune...but it just doesn't quite do it for me. Can't really explain it...it is a bit of a let down after all that came before it. And quite honestly pales in comparison to, say, the final track on The Waxwings--Low To The Ground..."It Comes In Waves"...now THAT is how to finish an album! (and how to START an album with the great tune "Keeping The Sparks" btw...all you WILCO fans need to check out this album as well).
    Other than the closing track, which still does have some appeal, I love YHF. It will surely rank in the Top 10 on my Best of 2002 list.
    So all those who may be hesitant to pick this one up, go ahead! Get it, give it several listens, and you should be taken in by it. The many fantastic tunes on it more than make up for its few shortcomings...by a long shot.

17. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

It's those experimental tracks that keep the album interesting, and make the hooks in the "pop" tunes sound even better.