Anybody into Sport Bikes?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Van Patton, May 19, 2003.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Hi, I'm 18 and with my graduation money from high school I would like to purchase a sport bike as a fun little toy to ride around on the weekends. I have about $3000.00 right now. I have past experience with dirt bikes but never anything street legal or so powerful. Any suggestions on a beginner bike or any other tips (reminds me of my other thread, haha)? Thanks a bunch!!!

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

don't go too big. i know the guys will be in here in a sec telling you to go w/ an ex500 or something like that. whatever you get, get good gear.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do a search for motorcycles here. Make sure to take the MSF course before buying, it will give you the training you need. You'll likely also get a discount on insurance for taking the course, and in most states you'll walk out with the motorcycle endorsement on your drivers' license.

www.msf-usa.org

The waits are long so sign up today for a late summer or early fall course.

Though a dirt bike background is excellent, riding on the street is very different than riding on the dirt. You need protective gear.

The following bikes would be a great way to start your street biking experience: Kawaski EX500/Ninja 500, older Ninja 600 (not ZX-6R), older Yamaha FZR600, Yamaha Seca-II 600, Honda CBR600F2 (or F3 - may be too expensive), Honda Hawk GT, Suzuki SV650 (too expensive), Suzuki GS500E, Suzuki Bandit 600.

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I agree with what Chris and Philip have said. Save at least $800 of that $3k and get gear with it. Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and pants.

Note: You will dump it. It might be something simple, like losing your balance at a stop light, or it might be something more serious, but it will happen. Remember that bikes with full fairings are way expensive to repair, and better gear will better protect you.

5. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I'm going to go against the norm here & say start with at least a 600. Check into a Honda CBR F2/F3.
    I have owned my '91 F2 since '93 and have no plans on buying new/newer.
    I think you would outgrow a smaller bike very quickly. Just take it easy, learn the bike,etc.
    Also, and what I think is most important, is drive defensively. Act like every car on the road is out to get you (which is how it seems sometimes) I cannot stress this point enough. Watch intersections,lane changes,etc. Learn how to use the horn (and your finger).
    I agree heavily on wearing the gear. Even a low speed fall will cause your body to shed skin easily.

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Philip said.

Having had dirt bike experience, Van is at least familiar with controlling a motorcycle. Don't expect $3K to get anything brand new, though.

Definitely take the MSF course. Always wear a helmet, gloves/gauntlets, leathers, and boots.

8. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

You may also check into the availablity of insurance. Insurance can be a killer.
    Some good advice above. Last week I was at a local motorcycle hangout, and saw a guy with his girlfriend on the back of his brand new GSXR-1000. The only gear they were wearing were helmets. He stalled it twice in the parking lot and kept dabbing his feet down while riding at low speed. Looked like he'd only been riding for a couple of days. That's just plain wrong, I wonder if the salesman that sold him that bike knew what kind of experience he had. Sad.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Most don't. Right, it's sad. I've seen pretenders on two-wheelers cruising Melrose Avenue here in L.A. When they corner, they use their damn legs and feet as outriggers.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor