Anybody here seen Japan's HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As most of you know, Japan has had HDTV for more than a decade and a half. Only Japan's high-definition system is strictly analog, and based on the NTSC specifications.

I once had a co-worker who, when he was in the Marines, was stationed in Japan. He told me that Japan's HDTV system is "fantastic--like looking through a window!?"

Just curious: Has anybody here at HTF spent any time looking at HDTV in Japan? If so, how would you compare it to the ATSC's 1080i and 720p formats?

Thanks.

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Jack:

I've never seen any of the Japanese HDTV broadcasts. However, I have seen some of the Hidef laserdiscs (at Brian Wiklem's house) that used the Japanese HDTV MUSE system. How did they look? I thought they ranged from very good to ok. The best stuff I saw was from a demo disk. Very sharp and vivid. The movie discs Brian showed were a bit disappointing. He pointed out that HDTV or no HDTV, mastering has simply gotten better over the years (the discs he showed were from around 1993, if I recall correctly).

You're asking how the best of the Japanese analog HDTV system compares with the best of the digital US HDTV system. Based on what I've seen, I give the edge to the US system, mainly because of the utter absence of chroma noise (you really should see that HDNet broadcast I mentioned in another thread!).

3. Jack Briggs

Thanks, Robert. Another advantage of ATSC, I suppose, would be the complete lack of picture noise. That is, you either receive a signal or you don't. In other words, no snow and such.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've seen it

ATSC is markedly better. It's like a good LD to a fantastic DVD in difference

5. Jack Briggs

Can you provide more impressions, Jeff? I'm very interested in reading them. Is the color pallate less extensive than ATSC's capabilities? (That's what I glean from your LD-to-DVD comparison.) Thanks!

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's been 5 years since I've seen it Jack (at the Tezuka museum in Japan), so things are a little hazy. Yes, I'd say that ATSC is sharper, and the colors do look better. Of course, it also lacks the analog noise.