Anybody here own the "Awaken" dvd-audio?

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Feb 20, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I've seen this disc for a couple years now but kept avoiding it because I read a couple of rather unpromising reviews that made me think it was that mind-numbing trance stuff they play at clubs for the Xtacy people & the cover art didn't encourage me either.

I've written quite a few times about my liking for trip-hop and chill-out stuff, especially from Thievery Corporation, Thunderball and Zero7 & hoping that they or groups like them come out with a surround version of their music.

Anyway, tonight I saw Awaken at Best Buy again and decided to look it up on cduniverse.com; they sell it also and have song samples to check out. Holy crap, that's the stuff LanceJ likes! But they are still only 30 seconds long so I would still like to hear from someone who has spent time with this music and also make sure the surround mix isn't overly gimmicky.

Thanks!

LJ

2. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

LanceJ,

Is it anything like Dirty Vegas? Im not familiar with much trip-hop but Ive been looking for stuff like DV.

Thanks,
    Matt

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Matt, that link I provided above leads to samples of all the songs on Awaken. DV is sort of like those songs but the one song from them I heard on the radio is faster than most trip-hop I know.

Trip-hop is similar to HIP-hop but sounds much mellower, includes lots of synths and many times includes rather cosmic sounding lyrics. It's sort of like if Yes, the Beastie Boys and some club DJs got together in a studio and they all shared a bottle of Jack Daniels and watched 2001: A Space Odyssey before the recording session began.

LJ