Anybody here own any Arcam equipment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Jan 13, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

2. Simon Barnard

Simon Barnard Auditioning

I don't own any (came close to buying an Arcam DV88+ DVD player though), but they are a very well respected company in the UK (possibly because they're British [​IMG] ), better known for Amps and CD players rather than AV kit, but that is changing.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have the Arcam 72T CD player and love it. Extremely musical with great definition and detail. Makes me very happy and I'm listening to more music than ever and that's saying a lot. I've read a couple of posts by people who own the receiver and love it with music. One post I read last night thought it was great with music, but felt it left something to be desired in an A/V sense. I'll link the post HERE.

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

arcam got huge props for its FMJ DVD player...

i have seen their reciever the 100 and 200, priced they are cheaper than the rotel 1055, however, i have never heard one comment about them....

there new av pre/pro and their amp are supposed to be very good....

Rich

5. larry crimmins

I have owned the Arcam Diva AVR 200 for over a year and it has been a very fine piece of equipment with some reservations. This receiver is the update to the AVR 100 and has better bass management functionality than the previous version. Video switching is still only on S-Video connectors , no component switching. Power is an honest 70 WATTS for 5 channel full range and rises to 100 on stereo. Though I don't use them, the internal DACs for stereo are the Burr-Brown 20 bit in a good implementation so one could use the digital bit stream from a decent dvd player for music. On DD and DTS it does a fine job and has Prologic II which I use for satellite TV and it is an advance over standard Prologic. It has 5.1 direct inputs for SACD or DVDA and there is no processing on these inputs (no bass management) so whatever it hears is what you hear in this mode.
    It has 5.1 out so you could use this unit as a pre/pro and connect a power amp. I haven't done this because the sound is so very good from its internal amps and the cost of good separates and interconnects is daunting.
    The reviewer of the AVR 100 noted the excellent sound image and I would concur. On Audioreview many owners of this receiver have noted that the sound quality is on a level with medium priced separates.
    While lacking some of the features and power of other manufacturers, this receiver's sound quality is first rate and I highly recommend it.