What's new

Anybody here kayak??? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
This summer I want to buy a beginners kayak, maybe a Dagger RPM, and go to the Hiwassee or Nantahala at least once a week while I'm on summer break waiting for my Senior Yr. to start. Anybody have any advice on where to start so I don't die!

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
[size=]I kayak, but it's all "Flat Water" or Slow moving Rivers .

Sometimes you just have to get away from the "Rat-Race" !!

I currently have a OldTown "Loon 111" and a OldTown "Nantucket" kayaks,and just purchased a Necky "Zoar Sport" kayak (awaiting delivery).

Have you tried posting this at ;http://www.paddling.net/message/

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
First of all, you should use the buddy system (have at least one other person on the trip). You should also have the appropriate safety gear (good helmet & appropriate PFD). The lower Hiwasse & Tennessee is a good place to start. If you don't know what you're doing you should take a class to get started. You should also learn how to roll. Most canoe/kayak clubs offer these courses. I'm not familiar with all the rivers in your area but even slow moving water is dangerous. It will take awhile until you can 'read' the river and know where underwater dangers are...
Have you seen Link Removed link yet? It looks like a good place to start...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks