Anybody here involved with biological sciences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

We've got every physics and chemistry junkie on the planet here (see all those threads), but I still haven't found a biology thread. Anybody?

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Dome, that's probably because discussing apical and lateral meristems just isn't that exciting. [​IMG]

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Let's talk about sex! Personally, I love it. Don't get enough of it though... [​IMG]

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Majored in Biology, worked at a medical lab for about 6 months then left for the tech industry. I love the biology field in general put the pay is absolute crap. There were folks with master's degrees working at the lab making $13.00 an hour.

Jeff

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I majored in Zoology and worked as field biologist with Ducks Unlimited for a number of years before switching over into the GIS dept (My minor was Geography)

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My girlfriend is a neuorobiology phd student...

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I have a 4 year BSc in Biology. Focus was on molecular and genetics stuff. But after two years of computer science, although I still remember all the concepts, I've forgotten soo many of the terms.

But I still remember my research topic for Bio420. Oleosins were so cool :p)

8. Dome Vongvises

Damn, seems everybody had some sort of boring experience with biology.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Biology courses tended to be exercises in rote memorization and equation-pushing. Yuck! Well, at least in the first few years, anyways. It all seems so boring to me.

Most of the biology students tend to be female, and naturally hardly any post on the HTF.

I read up on the latest information on evolutionary biology and evolutionary psychology. But I do it as an amateur scholar, and not as a student or academic.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

11. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I work for United Devices who is doing the cancer research project and a similar anthrax research project testing molecules to see how the interact with target proteins. It's mostly drug research, but it's certainly biological science related.

brianca..

12. Dome Vongvises

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, things must have changed since I went to university 6-7 years ago. [​IMG]
    I think at one point the biological science departments in Canada were 60% female students, slightly higher in genetics.
    Oh wait, were you including paleontology, zoology, etc.? Yeah, those fields seem to have much more of a male presence!

14. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I'll be receiving my MS in Bioengineering in May and I work for a company that creates medical products (i.e. "the thing that they look in your ear with," etc). I had worked for about 6 years in a biomechanics and spinal research lab. I did my thesis using the same brand of motion capture machine that George Lucas used for motion capture in Episodes I and II, except ours was for "medical grade" human motion analysis. I think that biology interfaced with other disciplines is far more interesting than plain old physics, chemistry, and other "stuff."

15. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Biology was by far the easiest class to be a smart-ass in. I excelled in that area. It was so bad that I mentally injured some of the teachers. Wish I didn't though.

one time a box of little chicks (chickens) was in the back of the room and they made their little noises. well, I have this way fo whistling very well without moving my lips at all. (no jokes please) and I was really chirping an offal lot more than the chicks were. The teacher was so mad at those little chicks, I'm thinking after we left he must have done bad things to them because of it.

it was pretty funny though.

I love biology but if I paid to go to college and had to collect roadkill more than once, I would get a little tired of it. and those darn planeria just scrae the crap out of me. I mean what are they? worms? lifeforms of some early low cell count type? scary!

and after the first couple of weeks those frogs really start to smell bad!!!

I'm going to start entitling my posts as "mouse wheel material" What a motor-mouth.

16. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

17. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

I have a B.S. in biology and now work in the clinical chemistry lab at The University of Michigan Hospitals. Not what I had in mind as a student but it pays the bills and all my time away from work is my own. (Well except for my family's share of my time, which leaves me with a few minutes sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 am to do as I please.)