Anybody here have a mac?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if I was the only one here with a macintosh computer. I never see any mac threads in here. I realize that pc's are cheaper and there is more software available but I think macs are more user friendly. Thoughts?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've got three Powerbooks. I use Unix workstations at work, and Macs everywhere else.

As far as the "PCs have more software" claim, sure, thats true. But how much of it is good? The really good commercial programs, like Photoshop and Dreamweaver (off the top of my head) are on both the PC and the Mac. There are a billion MP3 players for the PC, but most suck. Apple's free iTunes software is great. Not to mention other free, and innovative software... like iMovie. Still nothing on the PC that rivals it.

Macs are a little more expensive to get started... however, Macs seem to last a lot longer. Apple has gone to great lengths to support older hardware. Right now Apple is going through some developmental growing pains, trying to get its new OS, MacOS X, to be the best as possible on the new hardware, and supporting the older hardware as much as possible. But MacOS 8 & 9 are great operating systems, and work on any Mac with a PowerPC processor (nearly all since 1996). I also find the build quality of a Mac generally higher than a PC. Not just the general construction, but the little details as well. Like the polished aluminum power button on my Powerbook G4. Its a little thing, but makes the system look just a little cooler.

Out of Apple's entire product line right now, I think the iBook with the Combo Drive is the best value. Its an amazing laptop, with tons of power, and at an amazing price. However, Apple is due to release some really cool stuff next Monday at Macworld. Could be fun!

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

4. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Another long time Mac fanatic here. I've currently got an original Rev. A iMac (my webserver) and a Blue and White G3 (my primary work machine), both of them running Mac OS X. I've also got a PC that I put together, but it's more of a toy than anything else.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Hardened Mac fan here. I work tech support for a firm with an installed user base of over 400 Macs. Ahhh...

My primary machine at home is a battle tested Pismo laptop (just upgraded the RAM and HD) and at work, I use both a B&W G3 and a "Sawtooth" G4.

Luckily for me, our I.S. director is pretty cool about checking out the latest technology, so I'm usually able to play with most of the new Apple 'toys" shortly after they come out. Looking forward to any new hardware announcements at MWSF.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

To play devil's advocate here, the reason WHY Apple doesn't have compatibility problems is that they make all the hardware, or their licensees do with basically their parts.

The reason why you hardly ever hear Mac calls into radio shows is that Mac users tend to be computer geeks or some teacher at home with an iMac that can just bring it into the school lab tech.

The PC is open source, so you have compatibility anarchy. One good thing MS has done (if maybe the only thing) is brought SOME order to that mess. And if you buy quality parts, problems are rare and far between.

To be honest, I'm a PC user, I find them far superior and faster to Mac, I hate MacOS with a passion, and much prefer the unhidden, uncoddled control that WindowsNT gives me. If you ask what OS I really prefer, ask me how much time I spend in my DOS prompt.

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

8. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

Glad to see other mac users here. My G4 AGP has been pretty much trouble free for almost 2 years(with the exception of some stupid operator errors). I have a "PC" compatible Lite-On cd burner in my computer and it works wonderfully. I have also read about many others using "PC" video and audio cards in their machines. You are right about quantity of software not equating to quality although there are a few windows only programs that I wouldn't mind having. I guess I can always install virtual pc for that. Anyway good hearing from more users of the "other" computers.

9. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Michael -

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I have been a pc diehard for years but am considering on getting an imac or ibook sometime this year when I get my tax refund.

I'll only get the imac or ibook if it comes with a G4.

Here's why I have decided to switch.

I currently use Windows 2k and I'm sick of the Windows XP fiasco.

Also, I might get a digital camcorder.

I would have to add a pci firewire card to my pc, plus I don't know if a Canon or Sony mini dv camcorder comes with drivers for win 2k.

Also, I'm out of IRQs on my pc.

Also, most of the mini dv camcorders that I've seen don't come with software for transferring the video using the firewire port.

If it does come with the video software, it's probably not compatible with win 2k.

The macs have fireware built in and come with imovie.

The osx interface looks very cool to me.

The desktop icons are to kill for also.

I'm looking forward to the announcement from Jobs on 1/7/02.

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I think the chances of a G4 showing up in an iMac or iBook are non-existent. Maybe Apple will use the G4 chips in the consumer line when the G5 chips are ready, but until then...never. Could always hope, though.

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Glenise -
    I can't say I'd be too optimistic about G4's showing up in iMacs/iBooks too soon, either - but then, maybe that could account for some of the hooplah about MacWorld? Hmmmm...[​IMG]
    Even so, though, the G3's you'll find in modern iMacs/iBooks should handle everything you listed without too much trouble at all. Admittedly, I've yet to play with anything Firewire, but from what I understand it's so well integrated into OS X that just about any cam should be plug-n-play without any problems. And if their FireWire cam integration is anything like their USB digital cam integration, it's flat out gorgeous. I've got a Kodak digital camera that I didn't even need to install drivers for when I bought it - I just took a few pics, plugged the USB cable into my Mac, and without my having to do anything else, the built-in OS X camera application launched, auto-detected the exact model of camera, and was ready to download. Now I've got it set so that I don't need to do anything, it automatically does the download, deletes the pics from the cam, and quits. Very nice! [​IMG]
    OS X really is a great OS, too. You may be a little better off learning it as a long-time Wintel user than some long-time Mac users have been, too - it's a fair change from the classic Mac OS, but many of those few things that I've always liked about PCs have been adapted and improved (IMHO) for OS X (task bar vs. the dock, DOS command line vs. BSD UNIX command line, etc.). About the only thing I still kind of envy about the Windows OS is the ability to do everything from the keyboard if you want, and while it's still a little (well, okay...extremely) kludgy, Apple's got a good start on adding that to OS X with the lastest (10.1.x) versions.
    Should you take the dive - good luck, and have fun!

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Regarding the G3 processor in the current iBooks.... its fine. I've got a slightly less powerfull one in my Powerbook G3 500mhz (the iBook has a 600mhz processor), and it does everything just fine. The G4 in my Powerbook G4 only makes a -very- small difference, and none at all when using iMovie, iTunes, or anything like that.

Quite frankly, the only reason I got the Powerbook G4 was because my work bought it for me. Giving my girlfriend my Powerbook G3 500mhz saved me the expense of buying her a current iBook, which is what I was about to do.

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

16. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I guess I really can't make up my mind.

Being a pc tech I really want osx for intel.

I have seen a version of Darwin for intel on Apple's website but it only supports older Intel motherboards.

If Apple brought OSX for Intel 10.x with the aqua interface, I'd drop windows in a hot minute.

One advantage is that I know how to fix a PC (desktop) but wouldn't know how to fix a Powermac G4 if it needed repairing. (replace motherboard, etc.)

That would kill me because I'd probably have to take it to a shop.

17. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

From what I've read it looks like the big announcments will be G4 "Apollo" processors with speeds of 1+ gigahertz (up to 1.6 or so) and possibly an LCD screened iMac.

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

19. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I heard Steve Jobs was announcing a second mouse button on Monday, hehe.

Peter

20. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I've been a "Mac advocate" since I bought my first one in 1995 (just before the release of Win95). I still have that original Performa 6115CD (it has a 66MHz PowerPC, 350MB drive, OS 7.5.3). Since I bought it I've upgraded the RAM to 24MB, replaced the CD-ROM (the original broke), replaced the floppy drive (my son broke that), and installed an external ZIP drive. It still works great and served me well until July 2000, but it's been demoted to a gaming computer for my kids. If I had the money to spend I could upgrade it to a G3 and run OS-X.
    In 1997 (while I was at college) I got a job at the University Computing Services simply because I was sick of the lack of on-campus support for students with Macs. I wanted to be the guy to fix that. At that time they were rolling out a new ethernet service to students in on campus housing. Setting up a Windows PC took an average of 1 hour if you didn't have any problems. Setting up a Mac took about 10 minutes. The longest time I spent setting up a Mac was about 1 hour because it needed an ethernet card and an OS update that I had to do with floppies (no CD-ROM). The other techs knew very little about Macs and if I wasn't there I shutter to think what the Mac students would have done. I wrote many How-Tos to help the rest of the staff to know how to do a Mac ethernet install.
    During that time I also learned a great deal about Windows computers and about 1.5 years ago I built one. Since then I've been pretty much out of the loop of Mac happenings since I now spend 99.999% of my time on a PC with either Win98 or WinNT. I still love Macs, but I also see the advantages to using a PC. I'm pretty unhappy with MS operating systems and I'm currently trying to learn Linux to see if I can eventually migrate over to that...or at least use it on systems that don't need to run Windows apps. Hopefully the things I learn will also help me to become a power user in the OS-X world should the day come that I get the chance to use it.