Anybody here ever used the Dayton Titanic 12" subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KonradN, May 27, 2001.

1. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

I just modeled a few enclosures for this subwoofer and found that this subwoofer produces the best low end response of all the popular woofers out there like shiva, mass, and stryke. Its sealed f3 is around 28hz and it has an f7 at 20 hz. In a room it probably has an f3 close to 20hz. Also with 350 rms watts it produces 115db (measured 1 meter away) from 30hz+ and about 108db at 20hz. Partsexpress also claims that this is one of their tightest and most musical subs. However these are are theoretical performance numbers and I am wondering how well this woofer actually performs in a optimal size sealed enclosure. Will it exceed the performance of any 500/1000/ or ? commercially available sub?
    Also if u put it into a ported enclosure its f3 will be around 16hz, but it will be twice the size of the sealed box.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

I have 2 of them in 3ft^ sealed enclosures.
    I just sold my 300l 18hz tuned ported Tempest today. I thought I was going to miss it. But I hooked the Titanics back up, (they had been sitting unused for several months) only to find they sound just as good as if not better than the Tempest!

4. MattE

MattE Extra

I use one in a three cubic foot sealed box. For music it sounds great, for HT it doesn't take a whole lot of [movie] low frequency stuff to bottum it. Somebody modeled it and off the top of my head it only takes 35 [email protected] to bottum it. I'm still dealing with the fixed bass boost of the PE amp which runs it of linear excursion with annoying regularity on heavy LFE content. Paul at PE uses one for music but recommends other subs for HT duty. If you do use one be sure to disable all bass boost on movies. I'm building another sub for our second home and I'll be using a Tempest in a 4 cubic foot sealed box.
    Good luck,
    Matt

5. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

brian
    did u put both into a 3 cu ft box or was it each into one 3 cu ft box?
    matt,
    with 35 watts this sub will get around 98 db at 20hz measured 1 meter away from the sub in a 140 liter box. This is assuming a 7 db drop at 20 hz for this setup. I am not sure that my calculations are correct but 90+ db at 20hz is not to bad, but I will look into the tempest as well.
    the real problem is that i want everything: a sub with excellent transients, flat and clean output levels down to 20hz in a room, and a box size that's around 150l (max would be 200L).

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

7. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Separate enclosures with 3^ft each.
    Well I don't know about your room but in my current room they are nearly flat to 20hz with room gain.
    IMHO any of the subs Titanic,Shiva,ACISV12,Tempest etc... will work very well. You just can't buy a commercial sub that competes with a DIY for the same money.

8. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

Quote:
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Well I don't know about your room but in my current room they are nearly flat to 20hz with room gain.
    IMHO any of the subs Titanic,Shiva,ACISV12,Tempest etc... will work very well. You just can't buy a commercial sub that competes with a DIY for the same money.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    I was in agreement with this statement, and planned to build my own DIY woofer, when I read a review of the Adire RAVA sub. It's a Shiva driver in a 60 liter box with a 250 watt plate amp. At $399, I could barely buy the parts for the same price as the finished sub! It looks great (much better than any box I could build) and sounds, well, about like a Shiva in a .67 alignment should sound. It's plenty tight for music, and rumbles nicely for movies. It may not be reference level, but the bass will play louder than my SuperOnes can go, and that's all I need.
    If I move to a larger room, or get main speakers that can play louder, I may build a Sonosub with a Parts Express DVC 15". Let's see, 150 liters, tuned for 18 Hz, with about 400 watts... I think THAT will hit reference level!
    Peter

9. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Speak of the devil, I am almost done with my somewhat-RAVA clone, give or take some liters. I fired it up before painting and it sounds great.
    I also have that DVC-15 in a 12cuft tuned to 18hz w/ 400W going to it, I dont think you will be dissapointed (im in a 8x8x10 room, imagine the levels [​IMG]).

10. MattE

MattE Extra

How much was the shipping on that RAVA? It weighs 65lbs but UPS ground is actually reasonable at these weights. I would peg it around $30 but I'm curious what Adire charges.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

12. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Matt,
    UPS Ground would be $30.87 for a Rava to the Chicago area. We charge straight shipping charges only for US shipments. We have a $10 processing fee for international shipments via USPS to compensate for the extra customs paperwork and delivery of the package to the US Postal Service (UPS International is straight UPS rate).
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    ------------------