anybody here an expert Spanish linguist?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brenton, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I'm having a nerdy debate with someone over in the official MxPx forum over some technicalities of the Spanish language. Thursday insists that "Me la gusta" is proper Spanish for "I like it". I say that it's not because with the nature of the verb "gustar", "it" is the subject and "I" becomes the object, so the "la" becomes erroneous, as it's just an extra object pronoun that doesn't fit anymore.

You can read the thread here. Remember, my screenname is ImJustAKid and the debate is between me and thursday.

Would anyone here (who happens to be an expert linguist of the Spanish language) mind reading the whole thing and giving some insight on who's right?

Muchas gracias.

2. Chris Britton

Chris Britton Auditioning

While it has been a couple years since I've had any formal classes, I believe that "Thursday" is correct. And since that thread seems to have gotten into a pissing contest over who has had the most spanish... I've had over five years of Spanish, including years where I was a Spanish major in College and taking the advanced, major lever, courses. There was no english allowed in the classroom, and we studied advanced grammar as well as literature.

Conversationally, "Me gusta." would be fine given the correct context. But in the written form "Me la gusta." is preferred.

Also, it's never a good idea to get in a fight with a moderator, you will not win. [​IMG]

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Then would you please explain that to me, and help me understand it?

Because it's always been my understanding that in the sentence "me gusta", "me" is the object because it literally translates to "it pleases me". So how can "la" be used to mean "it", when "it" is the subject, and there is no word in the Spanish language for "it" as a subject?

I understand that if the sentence was "I love it", you would say "Yo lo amo", but I can't understand how or why "lo" would be used with "Me gusta".

4. Chris Britton

Chris Britton Auditioning

Now I'm doubting myself after doing a little research on my own. Technically I think you both are correct, although your way may be preferred i.e. the pronoun can be assumed, it doesn't need to be explicit. If I can remember I will see if I can talk to some of the native speakers I work with. I'll try to get a cross-section from several different countries that way I know it won't be a local preference thing. Hopefully I'll know more then.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

"la" is completely out of place. You're right, Thursday is 100% "la" wrong [​IMG]

If the object is to be made explicit, it would be through the use of a pronoun, which would vary according to the gender of the object of affection. For example:

El me gusta (I like him)
    Ella me gusta (I like her)
    Eso me gusta (I like that)
    Esto me gusta (I like this)

There is no pronoun for a genderless object, unless you wanna push it and use "ello" (not to be confused with "ellos")

PS-- I'm speaking only based on the fact that use the language every day of my life [​IMG] I haven't read the thread in question.

PPS-- "She likes it" is "Le gusta" (which ca nbe applied to both male and female) OR "A ella le gusta", which is specifically female.

I still haven't read the whole discussion, but it sounds as though Thursday is trying to literally translate English syntax into Spanish. Idiot.

PPPS-- I'm not "an expert linguist", so I may very well be confusing the terms object adn subject (I've been out of high school for ten years [​IMG]), but the syntax is correct, don't worry about it.

6. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    What Ricardo said. No worries Brenton. If you ever use "me la gusta" to a native speaker, they would probably chuckle [​IMG]

7. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Yup. To drive the point home, ask him if he would ever say "Me el gusta" to show the error in using "la."

But he could say "El me gusta" if he um, liked Barbra Streisand or something.

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

My Spanish teacher did say at one point that (while totally unneccesary) you can use "el" for a masculine object or "ella" for a feminine object to mean "it", in case for some reason you don't want to leave it to be assumed (although leaving it assumed is much more practical and preferred). I did bring this up in the thread, but I wasn't positive on how correct it was, so I never really argued for it. But if you are a native speaker, my teacher could have been mistaken.

And I doubt that much more arguing will change this guy's mind. In that thread, there was a native speaker who told him that he was wrong, but he did his little "explanation" and then was like "So, I think I've proved my point."

Hard-headed. I think I'm going to give up on it.

9. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Brenton,

No worries; you are not in the wrong. I would have written everything Ricardo wrote, so I'll just second it. Just thought you'd like more input from another native speaker.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Who was expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

[​IMG]

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

12. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

So you're saying que a ti te gusta el helado pero no te gustan los hombres?

13. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Si, Ricardo probablamente no es un homosexual (no que hay algo malo con eso).

14. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

[​IMG]

¡Ustedes me matan! [​IMG]