Anybody here a guru with nvidia?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EricDeB, Aug 10, 2005.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I'm having a little issue with nvidia tv output. I had it all hooked up to S video and everything was working great so I thought I might as well make the jump to component. My tv is not an HDTV, and the issue is that Nvidia won't let me select component as an output without "pretending" my tv is HDTV. When I do "pretend" it's an HDTV Nvidia says the maximum resolution it will allow is 720 by 480 when previously, with the Svideo connection, the resolution was 1024 by 768. Anyone know how to fix this issue, because I really would like to enjoy component quality?

Eric

2. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

What you are experiencing is completely normal.
    Let's talk about how the two different interfaces work. The notes here apply to all video cards from all vendors.

Composite/S-video goes through a special grouping of circuitry that we normally just call "TV-out". TV-out circuitry actually converts the normal PC signals into standard NTSC (480i). The circuitry will scale and filter any resolution above 480i down to NTSC 480i for display on your TV set. So when you set 1024x768, you aren't really getting 1024x768 your standard TV is nowhere high resolution enough to draw 768 lines of data. The TV-out circutry is doing a trick to make the 1024x768 desktop fit in the 480i resolution. So you aren't really gaining anything and in fact you loose a bit of detail by making the TV-out circuitry scale to fit.

Component output is a whole different beast. Component output is closer to VGA output then it is to the "TV-out" you are used to. The NVIDIA GPU essentially has a built-in transcoder that converts the color space RGB (normal PC colorspace like VGA) to component color space Y/Pb/Pr. In essence it is like you are using the TV set just like it was a monitor. Your monitor's native resolution is 720x480i (NTSC). Since there is no format conversion circuitry, there is no scaling and filtering availble for higher resolutions. This actually tends to lead to a better quality picture since you matching your TV's resolution exactly and feeding it with a high quality interface that has separate color information rather then say s-video where the color information is smashed together down one wire.