Anybody Heard a JBL E100

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Allen Marshall, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

i've gandered at JBL speakers for a long time and i've grown quite fond of the Northridge E100. Does anybody own these or have heard them before? i'd be interested in a little review, they do look nice, looks like it could do alittle boom boom here and there.

also on top of that i got a quick question to squeeze in, in Speakers with just a sub and a tweeter what frequency range does the sub cover and do big woofers on a loudspeaker like 12" or up have a problem with producing quiet sound?

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Me too! Also curious about the E50s.

3. Jeff smit

Jeff smit Agent

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

can't tell you about the E100's but I just recently bought the E90's along with E20's, EC25 and sub. I have only had them hooked up for 2 days but so far I am more then pleased with the sound quality from them. I am hoping to get the EC35 center I have on order soon as JBL recomends using that center with the E60 and above.

4. Burki

Burki Agent

Jeff with which reciever you are using your e90`s?

5. Jeff smit

Jeff smit Agent

Burki I ended up upgradeing to the E100's and EC35 center and I run them on the Denon 3803

6. Ryan_F

Ryan_F Auditioning

Hey Allen, like everyone else that has replied so far I have not heard the E100's either so I can't offer an opinion on them but have spent alot of time with the E90's that we sell at work and think that they are awsome speakers. One could conclude that the E100's would sound just as good but with a little more bottom end due to the slightly bigger woofers. I myself was going to opt for the 100's but decided to go with the 90's and spend the extra money on a good sub. There is not much difference betweed the E80's and the 90's and i figured the same would be true between those two. All I know for sure is that they handle both movies and music as well as I could ask for. hope this helps

Ryan

7. Jeff smit

Jeff smit Agent

one of the differences I noticed between my E90's and E100's was the speaker grills. On the 90's the fabric is strecthed over a complete plastic grid work grill in front of the actual speakers as the E100's have fabric stretched over a frame so no plastic is in front of the speakers. I did notice that the 100's were fuller sounding. Overall I am pleased with the speakers.

8. vance heard

vance heard Auditioning

well i guess i may be the few cats around here with a pair.

i have jbl E100's, EC35 center, N24II surrounds, p10 subwoofer soon to get the e150p sub to match the 100's.

i use a yamaha reciever...nothin too special i think its a htr-5650. and a yamaha dvd player. been real happy with the both so far. will be upgrading those soon after i recoup from the new toshiba hidef widescreen i got. 57 inch...yum

anyway. i listen to all kinds of music. jazz, classical, new age, rock, reggae, rap, metal, even that soundscapes on the direc tv (quite soothing) the speakers can play it all. thats the reason i bought them. i listened to the e90's at a best buy where i unfortunately work in the hometheatre dept. yes i know how f*cked up most of the employees there are. im of of the few audiophile types on the premises. its not because of their training. i more or less grew up with it. here is a fun fact about best buy home theatre employees. ask one of them what the bridge is located on the back of the jbl e series speakers. ill make a safe bet knowing that pretty much whoever you ask wont know its purpose or what happens when you remove it. i had to deal with my itiot coworkers who could not get the speakers to sound right for some strange reason. i walked over, picked up the bridges and screwed them in. they looked at me like i turned water to wine.

i liked the 90's but i wanted to have 100's. i worried that they would be too bass heavy. having 2 10"'s a mid and tweeter made me think that they could possibly have that problem of being a little too fuzzy. i thought about that a bit then looked at my dad's McIntosh speakers that were designed in the same configuration and thought what the hell ill give it a shot. i say that because there is no place in california from my research where you can listen to them. everyone has the 90's and down but no 100's. what sux more is when i say everybody...im referring to all the best buy stores which is the main distributor of jbl speakers.

to sum it up. i've had these pups for about 6 months. i am completely satisfied. in my opinon $1000 for these speakers seems pretty reasonable. although i didnt pay nearly that [​IMG]they are made very well like jeff described the grill are much nicer than the lower models and look beautiful. i chose the black ash finish and it looks awesome. the beech and cherry also are great alternatives. the drivers are made well and sounds great.

when i did frequency tests on them there was a decent flow in terms of dips and peaks. they are a fairly steady speaker. i havent seen actual graphed results on these but i imagine they would reflect my same findings by ear. so if you like music or movies you will enjoy these guys. hopefully this really long post has helped you out.

9. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator