What's new

Anybody having Ascend HTM-200 based HT?? (1 Viewer)

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
I want to have a smallish HT for my living room. I was wondering how the Ascend HTM-200 based HT would do. Has anybody used this setup? I have read rave reviews about CBM-170, but wanted to know how well the HTM-200s are for music listening. My Denon receiver has crossovers at 80, 100 and 120 Hz. I already have HSU VTF-2. I'm mainly interested in the upper-bass and the mid-range performance from these little speakers.

Search words: Ascend Acoustics Acoustic HTM 200 CBM 170 HT Home theater Music

JasonFab

Grip
Hi Abhinandan,

Just a quick thanks for considering our products!

While our CBM-170 continues to gather rave reviews, our often misunderstood HTM-200 is a fine speaker. In fact, this is the speaker that Dr. Hsu of Hsu Research features exclusively at his showroom and at various trade shows.

The HTM-200 was specifically designed as a true satellite speaker to be used with a subwoofer. It's low frequency response is approximately -3db at 80hz, designed to match the high pass filters in most receivers. This provides for an exceptionally smooth blend between speaker and subwoofer.

Our 200 is also a sealed enclosure that will deliver very fast and dynamic transients, considerably quicker and more accurate than most ported speakers. It also uses the same tweeter as our renowned CBM.

I can best describe the sound as a bit more forward and gently brighter with less bass then our CBM-170.

In direct response to your question, provided you plan on using a subwoofer (which you are) I feel our 200 is a very close performer to our CBM for both music listening and home theater. It is the ideal solution when your requirements demand a smaller multi-channel audio speaker.

I hope this helps and please feel free to email me directly.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
While my HT system is based on the CBM-170s, I do have a pair of HTM-200s that are now in my office music system. This has given me a chance to listen to them more as a primary speaker than their former position as HT rears did. Unfortunately it is an office system, so I only get to listen at any real volume if I'm working on a weekend (which I try to avoid :D ). I think they are very nice speakers.

My advice - order a pair of HTM-200s to try at home yourself. If you like them, then get the other 3 (I think Jason and David will still give you the package discount). That way if you don't like them, you're only out the shipping on a single pair of fairly small speakers. You may even consider getting another pair of speakers to try at home at the same time for comparison (maybe hometheaterdirect.com middies or Axiom M0ti).

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, Brad,
Thanks for your response!
I just sold my Dahlquist system. I'm searching for speakers for my new apartment. Living room may be 20' x 16'

I thought about the following options:
1. ALL HTM-200s
2. Mains CBM-170s, Center/Surrounds/Rear HTM-200s
3. Mains/Center CBM-170s, surround/rear HTM-200s

With option 1, I might cross them over at 80Hz, send full range to the sub and crossover the sub at around 90Hz, hoping to fill any drops in the range 80Hz-90Hz.

With option 2, I might have crossover issues with the center speaker.

Option 3 looks like the most popular way to go.

In terms of IMAGING, SOUNDSTAGE and FULLNESS, how do these options compare with one another (considering the appropriate crossover settings)?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Abhinandan- Since your original post in March Ascend has add the CTM 340 center channel that you may want to consider. Also there is a dedicate Ascend forum started by Ascend aficionados at www.ascendforum.com

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, thanks for posting!

I want to keep the system as small as possible without compromising the quality much. I am leaning towards option 1 and 2. I am mainly interested in the comparison between HTM-200 and CBM-170. Jason has already stated that, with a subwoofer, there is a minimal difference between these two speakers. I am not sure about imaging and soundstage though. Please give your opinions/observations.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I don't have any experience with the 200s but if you go to the Ascend forum you'll get plenty of help. I would try to find out if an all 200 system can fill a room that size with sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks