What's new

Anybody have theJVC i'Art 48" RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Keith_JS

Agent
Saw it at Best Buy yesterday and it had a great picture (the silver cabinet is kinda sketchy though). With the divi inputs it seems to be the closest thing to a future proof HDTV ready set on the market.

On the downside it's a brand new model loaded with innovavtive features and that means that the consumer is the guinea pig-- service techs will be learning the nuances of the set right along with us.

Still there's that great picture...

Does anyone have any experience with this set?

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Keith,
While I have no personal home experience with this model (I work in the video section at Best Buy), one thing you might want to know is the JVC model upconverts all signals to 1080i. Upconversion can introduce artifacts to the picture while watching 480 signals like DVD. I haven't personally tested a DVD player on the TV however. Drop by your local Best Buy and ask them to hook a progressive scan player up to it and see what you think. Then have them hook the same player up to a Sony 51HW40 (this model does 480p). Of course, judging picture quality in Best Buy can be less than ideal :frowning:. Best of luck!
Brandon Smith

dao_d

Auditioning
Hi Keith,
Two weeks ago, I purchased the JVC Iart HDTV av48wp30 and have occasions to compare the picture with a Toshiba 53" HDTV and a SONY 43". As everyone knows, we can be sure of anything when comparing «uncalibrated» TV sets. Still I believe the JVC picture is a little better than the SONY RPTV's one.

When re-calibrating the JVC RPTV with the AVIA DVD, I found that the factory settings are quite «high»(the brightness must be decreased as mush as 60% and the contrast about 50%). After calibration, I also found that the gray scale still have a fainted red tint and the skin color is not quite right. So I will call a professional to re-calibrate it.

I also acquired a JVC progressive scan DVD (S500BK model). Compared to my 2-year old Toshiba DVD (without progressive scan), the picture is a bit smoother, especially with car chasing scenes. The S500BK also has a kind of picture scaling, that handles «well» those ill-flagged DVD.

Dao Dang.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
My apologies....I am bumping this thread as I am looking into this set and want to know if any one has a new development in the last month.

I ordered one a week or so ago, to be delivered August 1st when I move into my new house. I'll post some comments once it arrives.

Tim_B

Agent
The thing that scares me with this model is that there have no professional calibrations done on it, as far as I know.

Before I make the leap, I want to make sure that this thing does calibrate correctly.

Anyone know of anyone who has had their JVC Calibrated?

There are a couple reasons I went with this TV. First, I work at Best Buy, and get reasonable discounts on all of the projection TVs. I have been looking at all of them we carry for a couple months now, and I must say I have been most impressed with the picture quality of the JVC set. With every signal that we feed to it, it does a terrific job. The silver finish is also nice as it matches my component rack and Boltz DVD racks. And the price (with or without discount), can't be beat. I am anxious to see it with atleast Avia calibrations, if not a professional ISF one in the future.

When mine is delivered, it will have been the second one I have purchased (my parents got one about a month ago). They have had no problems with there set, and I am hoping for the same luck. That is the only thing that is worrying me. A positive sign is that of all the JVCs we have had returned to are store, none of them were for defects; they were too big for the area the customer wanted.

I do have one question, and hopefully someone can help me. I have heard that this TV has a better picture with an interlaced DVD rather than a progressive since it upconverts everything to 1080i. I have not been able to confirm this as my parents only had an interlaced Toshiba player. I must say, the picture was great with it hooked up, I just want to know if it could look any better for me...

I'll post my initial thoughts once everything is setup and I get to watch a couple sources on it.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Nate,

That a pretty strong argument and one I'll take to the bank anyday. This is the very reason I do not buy Fridgaire products as a Lowe's person once told me they have more returns on them than all other appliances sold combined.

I currently have the i Art 36" flat screen TV that I am pleased with and did not know JVC produced a Projection HDTV until last week when I went into a Best Buy for the first time (none in my area). I looked at all units and I will have to say the picture on the JVC stood out and that was before I even knew it was a JVC.

Does this TV allow you to "compress" regular tv feeds so the picture does not look "fat" ,to fit the 16:9 or what ever it is?

Phil

Greetings,

Just thought I would bring this old thread back to life.

I have owned the JVC I'Art pro (AV-56WP30) for about 4 weeks. At the time of purchase, I also purchased a JVC XV-S502SL DVD player.

I added these components to a previously (but recently) purchased JVC A/V Controller (RX-9010VBK) that I found an open box deal on. I have been tinkering for a while now, and set it up to all operate through the A/V Controller.

I would be willing to answer questions in regards to the performance if I can, but I have only been an HT Junky for about a month. Here is all my equipment for your reference.

AVC - JVC RX-9010VBK
DVD - JVC XV-S502SL
TV - JVC AV-56WP30
CBL - Motorola DCT (2500?) S/W Ver 15.22
HD - Motorola HDD200
A/V Configurations - AVIA w/ RatShack Digital SPL
Front Mains - Unknown Make model (black fuzzies from the back of a truck.
Center - JVC AV-56WP30 via post amplified inputs from AVC
Rear Surround - Yamaha NS-670
Sub - None

Also, I may have questions about the JVC components if there are experienced users out there.

Dave

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a couple things I've noticed about this TV. I think it does a substandard job on NTSC signals, particularly weaker ones like bad cable or VHS. I imagine that's due to the upconversion adding all sorts of artifacts, but I think it has a pretty lousy picture on an analog source. Sony, Mitsu, Hitachi, and certainly Pioneer all look better to me. The TV does look pretty good on DVD or HD, though.

Second, it doesn't seem to hold convergence very well, and the convergence you can get into via the user menu is WEAK! You'd think a company like JVC would have either an auto-convergence or a 60+ point manual set-up, but this TV has good ol' 9-point convergence. I do a full convergence and it's out of whack 24 hours later. Not a good sign.

Third, I think the cabinet is hella-ugly. Just a matter of personal taste, of course, but to my eye it's one of the worst cabinet designs I've ever seen.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Jim made a good point there....the cabinet design is pretty ugly. But having the 56WP30 myself, I find that the picture quality over TW digital cable is pretty good. I was expecting much worse. Its not DVD clear by any means, but I do not find it any worse than other TV's I've seen with a cable signal. In fact, I find it equal to or better than the RPTV's I've seen with standard cable. I also feel the 1080 upconvert is pretty damn good. I have no problems with this feature. Unfortunately I can't comment on the convergence issue. I've just had my TV for 2 weeks and converged it once....time to check it again and see if its holding. All in all, I really like this TV and feel its probably the best deal out there right now considering it undercuts its similar sized competition by $500.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with David. I have the 56 and the JVC PQ on directv is much better than my pervious tv which was a Hitachi 53uwx10b. You know what I am talking about if you ever watch a hockey game on the Hitachi.

Jim

Is the tv powered up for 30 minutes before you check conversion. I always wait at least 1 hour before I chech it and have not had a problem to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks