What's new

Anybody have the Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go plan? Questions... (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting my Mom one of those Virgin Mobile pay as you go phones since she wouldn't use it that much. I figure it's good to have for emergencies, etc. I'm not that familiar with this whole pay as you go thing and was wondering if anybody could provide some info, etc. Thanks!

Brian Price

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
If this is one of thoe prepaid cell phones, you need to find out how long is the call period, I have ATT's Free2Go phone and it is 45 days use it or lose it. You can renew it if you put more money before the 45 days is up, but if you're doing that often enough, you're much better off getting a postpaid phone. You also have the chance of losing your number if you let your phone contract expire, I've had to go through 2 phone numbers but since it is truly an emergency phone, I hardly ever have money in my account, I only use it on bike tours or when on vacation so if your mom truly wants an emergency phone then it is a good idea, if she's going to use it alot, then postpaid is better as you get free minutes and stuff.

You can still dial 911 without a contract and you will be able to make credit card calls so that might be an option for non-emergencies, but of course, you'll probably pay through the nose for a CC call. (I've never tried).

You also have to do the same thing with this cell phone, figure out if the coverage area of Virgin is good in your mom's area, etc.

You might want to look into those TRAC phones too, they supposedly have a yearly prepaid service...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks