What's new

anybody have the GP32 handheld (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Large-ish screen, 65k colors, able to emulate Atari ST, Turbografx, Game Gear / SMS, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Sinclair Spectrum, and other systems, many at full speed. Sounds pretty nifty. There is an active community developing for it...

I've known about it for a good while, but things really seem to be heating up...tempts me to spend $200 on a frontlit model...

http://www.gp32x.com

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
It has great specs, but the games don't seem to be there. And few games show what it's capable of.

It's been rumored forever that Capcom was going to do some games for it but nothing's shown up yet.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm really only interested in the emulation aspect. Sure, if some great commercial games came out, that would be gravy.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It has great specs, but the games don't seem to be there. And few games show what it's capable of.
I think there's really only a handful of people in the West who have a GP32 for the commercially released games. The rest have it for the emulation/homebrew aspect of it.

It's a mighty tempting machine.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If I were gainfully employed I'd have one in a heartbeat. Plays MP3s, a few homebrew and commercial games, and the emulation thing is huge for me - how many emulators and ROMs can you fit on a SmartMedia card? It's a very nifty piece of hardware.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I have played with one but wasn't impressed enough to justify the cost of setting myself up with one. If you are interested in the emu part of it, I would recommend the emu options on the GBA.
I own a Flash Advance 2 and am having an absolute blast with it. Dragonbasic is quite a powerful little coder for the GBA; if you know basic and have an interest in tinkering around with game ideas this is a must have. PocketNES works flawlessly with the GBA and I can fit approximately 4-5 hundred roms on my 256M card. There is even an option to upload a NES game to another GBAs memory so you can play coop with one cart, 2 player Contra anyone? The PCEngine EMU works with a lot of roms but is still very new and not 100% yet. I know that there is a MAME GBA emu in the works but I have not tried it yet. There is also some neat mov converters to watch trailers and stuff on your GBA that is quite impressive. Also a picture viewer, ebook reader, MP3 player ect ect.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Dean,

That's cool to know and I'll look into it. However, I am especially interested in the Atari ST emulation (tons of great games) and the GBA doesn't have the power and resolution to handle it.

But still great to know, it may be time to expand the powers of my GBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks