What's new

Anybody have Seaman for Dreamcast? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey, i just bought a new SEAMAN from Ebay for $12.95USD since locally they're $70 new and $45 used (both canadian)...

I heard some funny things about it, anybody own it? what are your thoughts?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's not a game, don't treat it as such. It's a virtual pet/"toy". You don't need to spend much time on it - 10 to 20 minutes a day is usually enough, but make sure you play it each day.

The voice recognition & conversation system is VERY nice. It's basically a simple Eliza system at heart, with some nice stuff layered on top of it.

My wife really got into it, especially after the tadpoles had evolved a couple of stages.

A major reccomendation: do NOT read any FAQs/guides etc on it. Don't play with your DC's clock either - enjoy it as it was designed to be enjoyed.

Seaman is one of those experiences where the less you know about it, the more you'll get out of it.

Ike

Screenwriter
I too have it, but my Seaman's kept dying because I kept running out of food. I'd get them to what I'd call full fish stage, and they die. It drove me nuts.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ike, here's the food solution:

You do know that you can feed them the larvae of the bugs as well as the pills you get to begin with? Just pick up unhatched pods from the insect garden & pop them into the water...

Ike

Screenwriter
Yeah, I know, but from what I remember, I kept running out of bugs thanks to their hungry appetite and those spiders.

I need to pull this back out and play it again. I may actually really like it now.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this game & it's one of the most unique games you'll ever play. It's certainly worth the $12.95 and your neighbors thinking you say crazy things to the television (if you're in an apartment anyways).

-Dan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Never really wanted to get into this game, but if the PS2 version comes out in America, I might check it out.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Why wait, Morgan? You've got a DC, you can find Seaman (inc the microphone) for $10 new easily.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
...I really don't have an excuse, other than I can't buy anything from Ebay and I haven't seen it in a store for at least 6 months (haven't really looked).

Also, I'm not that interested in playing it. If I have free cash and see it (DC or PS2) I might grab it.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
heh, i cant wait to show it to my friends after i teach it to swear and stuff :D

Ike

Screenwriter
It doesn't really work like that Nick. You don't teach it everyword in it's vocabulary-you just get it started. He'll never, in terms of what I heard, curse.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
He doesn't out & out curse, but he does insult you regularly & use a lot of innuendos.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
That's correct. Seaman appears to "know" most of the good words, but doesn't actually use them... :)

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
well i dont know how good the voice recognition really is, because when he asked me what i did for a living, i said "tech support" and he replied by saying i was in the "adult industry" and he would bring it up from time to time... :P

Oscar_R

Second Unit
God I hate this game. The whole "teach it to speak" angle is the biggest gimick I have ever seen. Spent countless hours with this damn game, actually go it to the 2nd generation. The biggest disapointment for me was that it doesn't really learn new words or recognize new words.

You could tell it to go screw itself, and as long as your tone on speech is subdued, it won't care.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone else grow to dislike their Seaman so much that they killed him? Tell me it wasn't just me or do I have some "issues"?

Kip

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
oh and another thing.. try and pronounce seaman incorectly.. (i.e sea-men) the response he gives is hysterical!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks