Anybody have Seaman for Dreamcast?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 20, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, i just bought a new SEAMAN from Ebay for $12.95USD since locally they're $70 new and $45 used (both canadian)...

I heard some funny things about it, anybody own it? what are your thoughts?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's not a game, don't treat it as such. It's a virtual pet/"toy". You don't need to spend much time on it - 10 to 20 minutes a day is usually enough, but make sure you play it each day.

The voice recognition & conversation system is VERY nice. It's basically a simple Eliza system at heart, with some nice stuff layered on top of it.

My wife really got into it, especially after the tadpoles had evolved a couple of stages.

A major reccomendation: do NOT read any FAQs/guides etc on it. Don't play with your DC's clock either - enjoy it as it was designed to be enjoyed.

Seaman is one of those experiences where the less you know about it, the more you'll get out of it.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I too have it, but my Seaman's kept dying because I kept running out of food. I'd get them to what I'd call full fish stage, and they die. It drove me nuts.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Ike, here's the food solution:

You do know that you can feed them the larvae of the bugs as well as the pills you get to begin with? Just pick up unhatched pods from the insect garden & pop them into the water...

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yeah, I know, but from what I remember, I kept running out of bugs thanks to their hungry appetite and those spiders.

I need to pull this back out and play it again. I may actually really like it now.

6. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I enjoyed this game & it's one of the most unique games you'll ever play. It's certainly worth the $12.95 and your neighbors thinking you say crazy things to the television (if you're in an apartment anyways).

-Dan

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Never really wanted to get into this game, but if the PS2 version comes out in America, I might check it out.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Why wait, Morgan? You've got a DC, you can find Seaman (inc the microphone) for $10 new easily.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

...I really don't have an excuse, other than I can't buy anything from Ebay and I haven't seen it in a store for at least 6 months (haven't really looked).

Also, I'm not that interested in playing it. If I have free cash and see it (DC or PS2) I might grab it.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    heh, i cant wait to show it to my friends after i teach it to swear and stuff [​IMG]

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

It doesn't really work like that Nick. You don't teach it everyword in it's vocabulary-you just get it started. He'll never, in terms of what I heard, curse.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

He doesn't out & out curse, but he does insult you regularly & use a lot of innuendos.

13. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

That's correct. Seaman appears to "know" most of the good words, but doesn't actually use them... [​IMG]

14. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

well i dont know how good the voice recognition really is, because when he asked me what i did for a living, i said "tech support" and he replied by saying i was in the "adult industry" and he would bring it up from time to time... [​IMG]

15. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

The tech industry is the adult industry, isn't it?

16. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

God I hate this game. The whole "teach it to speak" angle is the biggest gimick I have ever seen. Spent countless hours with this damn game, actually go it to the 2nd generation. The biggest disapointment for me was that it doesn't really learn new words or recognize new words.

You could tell it to go screw itself, and as long as your tone on speech is subdued, it won't care.

17. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

Yer probably right, ike... [​IMG]

18. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone else grow to dislike their Seaman so much that they killed him? Tell me it wasn't just me or do I have some "issues"?

Kip

19. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

oh and another thing.. try and pronounce seaman incorectly.. (i.e sea-men) the response he gives is hysterical!!!