anybody have opinions on adcom pre/pro & amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve R, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Steve R

Steve R Extra

is adcom equipment good? Pricing is reasonable. How about quality? I can get a gtp830 pre/pro and a gfa7400 for $1500. Would this be a good way to begin with separates or should I just get a $900. receiver? Thanks for any advice.

2. PhillipC

PhillipC Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of going with Adcom gear as well. The dealer that I talked to said that only the gold badge series gear was any good. He was referring to the pre GFP 750 and the 5803 amp.

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

We've used Adcom's sweet-sounding mosfet amps (i.e., GFA-5503 and 5400) in our dedicated theater room for several years with terrific success. Powerful, quiet, clean, and very detailed, along with superb imaging and soundstaging, they offer superb performance and rugged construction. To our ears, they outperformed all other products auditioned (including the then top multichannel and stereo models by Parasound, Rotel, and B&K, among others).

If possible, listen to one yourself.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I have Adcom equipment that I've been using for many years. If you're primarily going to be listening to HT, they'll be fine. For 2CH, they have a clean, solid sound but there isn't anything involving about their sound. Unless, you're using a flagship receiver, the Adcom would be the way to go.

5. Steve R

Steve R Extra

Thanks for your responses. I plan on using this set-up 50% for music and 50% for ht. Do you think these adcoms will sound better for music than a denon 3802? Unfortunatly I can't demo them side by side.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Their amps have a solid reputation and would be a good buy. Their pre amp though lacks some of the features that might be of interest to you. For $1500 you could easily pick up the Outlaw 950 and a 5 channel amp. Or stretch the budget a little further and buy the Rotel 1066 per amp and a budget 5 channel amp.

7. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

As far as I am concerned the pre/pros are junk- at least the GTP-760 I had for a short period of time was- I have never had a noisier piece of equipment in my system.

Andrew B.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise buying Adcom amps used as they seem to lose their value quite a bit but are very durable. I have yet to hear the 830 but have heard the 750 which I thought was really good. I would consider the pre from Outlaw and then find either multiple amps to run the system used or a new AMC (since they're dirt cheap) and 2-channel for mains.