What's new

anybody have french THE BRINKS JOB dvd? (1 Viewer)

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
can anyone tell me if the subtitles are burned in on THIS DVD? and if the print quality is any good?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Eric! Crikey, I didn't even know that this fine film (I'm a big fan of Friedkin) was on DVD anywhere (I buy DVD s from all over the world; all regions) let alone what looks like a fine edition.

I searched DVD Basen and there is a review here: DVD Classik

Translation:

Now, whether the subs are burned-in to the source print (which I doubt, as it is a new anamorphic transfer) or are player-generated (which seems to be normal practice on English language tracks in European countries) remains sketchy. My Panasonic can remove locked-in player-generated subs, so I am tempted. I say you should order it; it sounds like a superb edition.

Interesting, the Amzon.fr listing below, states, "Le commentaire audio exclusif de William Friedkin", which isn't mentioned in the DVD Classik review. Perhaps the Amazon listing is erroneous and refers to the Friedkin interview? Or it could be that the DVD Classik review is misleading.

Here's the Amazon.fr lisiting: The Brink's Job

One has to wonder why Universal hasn't released this fine film on DVD yet. I have a feeling that there is a major rights dispute over American rights. There's also a Japanese DVD from MGM-Japan: CD Japan. I have no information on this edition.

It does seem strange for a there to only be a French DVD with a new anamorphic transfer and extra features. Perhaps a R1 edition is on the way.

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info Mr. McMurphy I just ordered this dvd. after SORCERER this is my favorite Friedkin flick.Now if I could only remove wang chung from the TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA SOUNDTRACK.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I was going to order this, but what's with the outrageous shipping charge? Shipping from Amazon.Uk is reasonable, but why is it so much more from Germany and France, which aren't much farther?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Alan.

I have the final order confirmation page in front of me and the shipping charge is €6.05 ($7.30) plus tax of €3.98 ($4.80). So including the €16.71 (before tax) for the item, the total is €26.74 ($32.27) which, in my terms is £18.46 which is a little more than I normally pay for a 1-disc catalogue title these days, but its nothing extortionate. Try ordering from Japan! Scary prices.

What is the grand total for you, Alan?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It's a shame that no other edition of Sorcerer has not appeared in any other country: the only edition available is Universal's shoddy p&s (from 1.85:1 hard-matte is seems to me) bare bones disc. Such a great film; grossly underappreciated. Universal are churning out anamorphic remasters (The Jerk) at present and all of Friedkin's best films now have great SEs and they would do well to revisit the film with a new anamorphic transfer from the negative and get Friedkin to record a commentary and interview Scheider, Tangerine Dream, et al.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Shipping to the US for The Brink's Job is EUR 10.90, no tax, bringing the total to EUR 27.61, or $33.29 US. I love this film, but that's waaay too much for me, especially when I believe that it will eventually come out here at either the $19.99 or $14.99 price points (street price, knock off $5).

So I'll wait.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i have the Japanese disc. its available in the US from Xploitedcinema.com
mine came to over $40 with shipping...but still cheaper (i expect) than ordering direct from Japan.

the R2 Jap disc, put out by MGM, is 16:9 but only fair. compression artifacts are apparent making the image appear not very stable. dark scenes don't come off very well either...it looks like there is fading, color changing or maybe it just could be some gamma related issue with the transfer.

its watchable, but weak. i was disappointed in the quality, but just having the film on disc and being able to see it again after so many years made me happy. obviously to spend $40 i must have liked the film quite a bit, but i had forgotten just how much i loved it.

i really hope that Universal gets this out in R1 soon. i won't mind the double dip either as i expect the Universal would at least not have the compression related issues

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
I just recieved this dvd from Amazon France good quality cool extras but The subtitles are burned in! when I try to remove them the dvd says prohibited! its too bad cause this disc is pretty sweet otherwise. anybody know a way around the subs? I sure would appreciate it.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Eric try playing the film, pushing STOP once, enter the players menu, switch off the subtitles, then leave the menu and press PLAY once - don't push MENU or anything like that. I have found that procedures like this often disable locked subtitles on foreign DVDs. Give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks