Anybody have experience with Adire Audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Whitney B., Nov 11, 2002.

1. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

I am looking at building my own speakers from kits.
    www.adireaudio.com
    Center: KIT LCC
    Mains: KIT 281
    Rear: KIT 81
    They will be powered by a Nakamichi AV8
    Does anyone here own these or have listened to them and can give their opinion?
    20% music 80% movies
    Thank you in advance.

2. Ryan Solberg

Ryan Solberg Auditioning

i plan on doing...

Center: Kit LCC
    Front: HE10.1
    Rear: HE10.1

i like the HE10.1's over the Kit 281 & 81's because of the better sensativity... and i also like how the enclosure on the HE10.1's is smaller.... price is about the same as the Kit281.

I've listened to the HE10.1's at the AdireHeadquaters... and i must say they matched up with a tumult were pretty darn impressive. I only got to hear music tho. haven't listened to the 281/81's yet tho... I have heard rumor that adire is making a 3-way kit tho.

sorry i can't really help you...

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Maybe you should head on over the to the DIY forum and ask there.

Seth

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Kyle Richardson has some 281's (and I think is using the sealed variety on its side as a CC) and Brian Bunge has the LCC. They both seem to like the Adire offerings very much. And I'm with them! I currently have a pair of the HE10.1's and I think I'll eventually go with them all around. Adire's kits and completed speakers (I'm sure you've heard of the Dharman and Rava) offer excellent value.
    As Seth mentioned, you'll probably get more feedback in the DIY area. Do a search first though and soak up some already available info. After that feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.
    I think it's unfortunate though, that anything remotely DIY never seems to get any serious discussion out of the DIY area. After all, there are those that can build, finish and sell Adire speakers. Just like any other speaker discussed here. [​IMG]

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dan is right. I have the LCC and love it. But be warned, it's HUGE! When I get around to veneering it, I'll throw it up on the scale at the shop. But I'm expecting it to weigh at least 60 lbs.

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Whitney:
    A number of individuals on HomeTheaterTalk are very familiar with Adire speakers, in particular Mike (the owner/moderator) and Saurav (a member). I suggest you go to that site and contact them.
    Larry

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

As mentioned above, Mike Knapp has a full Adire Setup. HE10.1 for his music only system. 4 kit81 surrounds, kit281 mains and an LCC center for HT. He is also using a quad Tempest infinite baffel for the sub.

If you send him an email I'm sure he'll answer any questions you have.

I personally have a Tempest Sonosub. And I fully intend to go full Adire as soon as I can (waiting for money and hoping the XBL^2 enabled versions of the HE series will be out soon as well). I'm also hoping for the Shiva and Tempest to get an XBL^2 treatment, at which point I'll hopefully be able to do a quad IB with that version of the Tempest.

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Dustin,
    Alex Kunec asked about an XBL2 version of the HE series and received this reply:

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Long time ago Dan mentioned he would recommend the Kit281 over the HE10.1 if home theater was going to be a major component of the speakers use. Later when I asked, he told me the XBL^2 version of the Beta10CX will be capable of moving more air than the pair of AV8 drivers on a 281 (the current Beta10CX moves less than half this much). My mix will be pretty even between movies and music. XBL^2 has other benefits besides just excursion abilities. I don't know the details, but it is also supposed to have some pretty neat benefits for use at higher frequencies (remember something about a Brahma 10" or the prototype XBL^2 version of the Beta10CX playing up to around 10khz).

I won't be able to do anything until late summer, possibly not until spring of 2004 in the way of building speakers. I've got decent sound right now, so my focus is on trying to get a projector right now. If the XBL^2 versions are ready by the time I am, well I'll be happy. If not then I might consider going the two step method.

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Whitney,

I own the Kit281s...

The short answer is... yes... build the system you described immediately. It's everything it is cracked up to be. The Kit281 has a precise, clear and natural sound with excellent dynamic capability for a speaker of its type. It's hard to elaborate on the specific tone of the things since it's a unique thing you'll have to hear and I don't know whether you'll like it or not.

I have two recommendations for you:

1. For the mains and maybe the center, buy a gigantic amplifier. The Kit281s are inefficient [86.7db IIRC] and I have found I'm not fully satisfied with the sound at high levels in my current system - my 80 watt amplifier seems to just lose it. Of course if you don't want to go to the 90db continuous and above range, you can stay with a receiver. Also if you want to play loud you'll definitely want to use a subwoofer and filter the bass from the 281s.

2. If midrange quality is a priority, wait for the 3-way tower kit (basically a vertical LCC) to be released. The biggest weakness of the Kit281 is that the larger woofers don't have the best quality upper midrange (above 1KHz), imparting a slightly "nasal" or "rough" sound compared to speakers with truly excellent midrange. This is a pretty minor fault IMO and the 281 still has a pretty clear and neutral midrange.

Hope I helped - feel free to ask any other questions you may have.