What's new

Anybody have crabs? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for crabs...
Sorry... I need to borrow a digital camera. I'll call my brother tonight.

The crabs are doing well, so far. They really seem to like Cheerios and raisins.

We painted some shells for them the other day... I painted mine to look like a race car.. hopefully Snowy will pick it up.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Painted shells! SWEET!:emoji_thumbsup:

Maybe I should look into this hobby. How much space do they need? I have an old aquarium gathering dust....

Also, how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Mike

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I had one when I was a kid, he ate whatever I put in there, from vegetables to potato chips :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I should look into this hobby. How much space do they need? I have an old aquarium gathering dust....
I've read 1 gallon per crab is a good rule of thumb... however, I have a 5 gallon tank and it seems a little crowded once you add a water dish, food dish, hermie-hut and things for them to climb on.

As for the shells, don't buy them from the pet store! Go to a craft store and you can usually pick up a big bag of them for a couple of bucks. We used this weatherproof paint on them (from the same craft store).

Check out:

www.hermit-crabs.com
www.hermitcrabassociation.com

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to scanning some pictures:

The Crabitat

Here's a panoramic shot.

Here's a shot of Snowy making his way to the food dish. He loves Cheerios.

Here's Louie hanging out in the "hermie hut"

We've actually picked up 2 more Equadorian crabs since my first post: "Motorcycle" and "Starfish" (I know, I know.. my kid names these things!)

My wife has really gotten into these things... which is good. They're a lot more work that they look. :)

Also, I built a second level for them to climb up to. It's 1/4" plywood with dowels for legs and a ramp covered with that plastic screen used for crocheting (for traction). The Equadorians love to climb so, they hang out there quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks