Anybody have an Anthem MCA-2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Looks like a great buy for those of us in Canada. I'm interested to know if anybody has one, and what they think of it. Would drive Paradigm 100's. Could get another later and bi-amp, too. Then another for the center ... god doesn't it ever stop?!?

Ahem. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,

Martin.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Martin, I have an MCA-5 with the 40's, but I cannot give a full review yet as I lack a receiver with pre-outs and the only time I got to review was when I directly hooked up a crappy CD player to the Amp. Still, with a 9 year old Yamaha changer I could tell that the Amp had a very low noise floor and the bass was very tight. However, it's a very preliminary review until I get the Outlaw 950, so take it with a grain of salt.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have the mca 3 (same thing with a third channel) and think the world of it as I have posted many times.

4. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Anthem has also just released their new series of amps, MCA-20, MCA-30 and MCA-50. Details can be found at the Sonic Frontiers website.

5. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Brian,

I thought about that. The thing I noticed though is that the '5 is rated only to 170Wpc, when all are driven.

EDIT: In retrospect, so what? 170Wpc bi-amped will still drive the 100's beyond sane levels...

Martin.

6. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

I wanted to buy MCA 5 but ended up buying MCA2 and MCA3 instead. They both work great and I am happy. I did spend a little more than what I could have got the MCA 5 but in the long run I hope I did the right thing. I have some flexibility as to break them apart and use one for a future subwoofer etc. Either way, you cannot go wrong for the money. I wanted to go with rotel 1095 but the difference was too much. Also, I have quite sensitive speakers.(AR1 and AR2C).

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I have a MCA 5 running to my 100's and think it is a great combo. The midrange was a huge improvement when I went to that amp. So what can you pick up a MCA2 for in Canada anyways. I am just outside of Detroit, and wouldn't mind picking one up for bi-amping!![​IMG]
    Brandon

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I would also be interested in what the Canadian pricing (retail & street) for the MCA2 & 3 is. Any idea on what the new MCA20/30/50 will be going for?
    Alos, I haven't seen Anthem in any of my local shops. Do you guys have any mailorder shops that you can recommend?
    Oh yea... I thought you guys up north made about 50% more salary than us down here and it all about evened out [​IMG]

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nope, the joke is on us [​IMG]

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Since I can't access PDF files on this stupid webtv, I was wondering if anybody might be so kind as to convert the MCA 20,30, and 50 files to html and send it to me? Or if anybody would care to summarize the difference between these new series and the old?
    Thanks,
    Randy
    [email protected]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

MCA claims 50% larger power supply reservoirs

larger toroidal power transformers

33% larger chassis and heatsinks

more refined amplifier circuit topologies.

improved internal grounding

From the specs, power output with all channels driven has increased from 185 to 200 at 8ohms and 270 to 300 at 4ohms on the 2ch amp.

On the 3 and 5 channel it has gone from 170 to 180 at 8ohms and 250 to 265 at 4ohms.

The power requirement numbers and all the THD type specs are all exactly the same or very close to exactly the same.

Weight has gone down a pound on the 2ch, down a pound on the 3ch and up 5 pounds on the 5ch.